Talion Original tires out of balance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have non belted katars on my talion and 2 out of the 4 were kinda shaky/out of balance right out of the packaging, and have gotten worse after a few lipo's.

-My question is has anyone else experienced this?

-Do the belted one's solve this?

Thanks for any info.
20221023_164405.jpg

By chance do any of the tires have flat spots? (Sitting for awhile or new out of the box?)

That being said I have tons of new tires come with flat spots or out of balance. I just run them anyways 🤪 🤷.

Little vibration just enhances your driving skills. 😆

Try balancing them first. Then see how they run.
I break in the wheels for a pack or 2 before I balance. The Foams need to settle in/spread out, when they are new.
No experience with those Belted Katars. They won't necessarily make a difference with runout or the balance IMHO. RC tire's in general are far from perfectly round. And the larger the tire the more unbalanced they come.
My new FireTeam tires are all unbalanced.

Last edited:
By chance do any of the tires have flat spots? (Sitting for awhile or new out of the box?)

That being said I have tons of new tires come with flat spots or out of balance. I just run them anyways 🤪 🤷.

Little vibration just enhances your driving skills. 😆
No flat spots but after 6 lipo's it's getting worse causing almost violent shaking. I guess I could sharpen my skills 😅
Try balancing them first. Then see how they run.
I break in the wheels for a pack or 2 before I balance. The Foams need to settle in/spread out, when they are new.
No experience with those Belted Katars. They won't necessarily make a difference with runout or the balance IMHO. RC tire's in general are far from perfectly round. And the larger the tire the more unbalanced they come.
My new FireTeamT tires are all unbalanced.
I've ran 6 full lipo's and the 2 now violently shake the whole car at speed. I'll order a wheel balance kit and give that a try🤙

No flat spots but after 6 lipo's it's getting worse causing almost violent shaking. I guess I could sharpen my skills 😅
Wow if it's that bad maybe you should look into balancing them. I have seen a 3dprinted stand that has a 6s hub mounted to it for balancing.

Same tire vibrates if you put it on the front/rear? Does it wobble? If so the plastic hex might be damaged. Might just be defective.

Wow if it's that bad maybe you should look into balancing them. I have seen a 3dprinted stand that has a 6s hub mounted to it for balancing.

Same tire vibrates if you put it on the front/rear? Does it wobble? If so the plastic hex might be damaged. Might just be defective.
Vibration/shaking no matter front/rear or left/ right. Hex looks great no warping or cracking. They may be defective.🤷🏼‍♂️

Sorry to hear that 😞.

I did have one that was so poorly glued from the factory I heated it up and re-glued. Since most are a little out of balance I don't worry but yours sounds more severe.

Sorry to hear that 😞.

I did have one that was so poorly glued from the factory I heated it up and re-glued. Since most are a little out of balance I don't worry but yours sounds more severe.
Hey, no worries 👍
I always appreciate the advice & help!

I'd just try balancing them. You can use one of the hubs from the RC. Disconnect the hub from the truck with the axle/hex/wheel still installed (or reinstall after getting the hub off). usually easier to use the rear hubs. Then see where it tire naturally spins to while you're holding just the hub (and the wheel can spin freely). Add some gorilla tape on the top side when it finally comes to a rest. Add as many layers needed to where you can spin the tire and it doesn't "settle" on a particular spot. Voila, a non-permanent balance.

Done several of my RCs that way with good results: Kaiju tires, hoons, backflips, etc. It won't cure out-of-round wheels or tires, but it will get rid of most of the shakes.

I'd just try balancing them. You can use one of the hubs from the RC. Disconnect the hub from the truck with the axle/hex/wheel still installed (or reinstall after getting the hub off). usually easier to use the rear hubs. Then see where it tire naturally spins to while you're holding just the hub (and the wheel can spin freely). Add some gorilla tape on the top side when it finally comes to a rest. Add as many layers needed to where you can spin the tire and it doesn't "settle" on a particular spot. Voila, a non-permanent balance.

Done several of my RCs that way with good results: Kaiju tires, hoons, backflips, etc. It won't cure out-of-round wheels or tires, but it will get rid of most of the shakes.
^this is why I'm glad I joined the forum, thank you sir. I'll try the gorilla tape weds when I'm off.

^this is why I'm glad I joined the forum, thank you sir. I'll try the gorilla tape weds when I'm off.
Couple of notes: give the wheels a good rinse/rub down and wipe dry, and keep in mind how much clearance you have to the hub or any interferences for the inside of of the wheel. One of my kaiju wheels needed so much tape that I had to line up my tape stacks two deep into the wheel otherwise it was hitting the hub/a-arm. Didn't realize the first tape stack I had was so high it was hitting the hub until I had re-assembled the truck and went to test drive, and it wouldn't move!

I've ran 6 full lipo's and the 2 now violently shake the whole car at speed. I'll order a wheel balance kit and give that a try🤙
Yeah they just need a balance. With your rig On the bench on a stand, you will see which tires are real Bad and off balance when throttled. Careful doing this. Shakes violently. Balance all 4 of them.
This is the Associated Factory Team balancer I use. Cheap ones have poor BB's in them FWIW. Been there.
I use basic Hobby clay. Like found at any Hobby Craft store. I get it by the pound for real cheap. If you buy $RC boutique clay$ you will go broke. Clay is Clay.
Check out this video. I balance any and all RC wheels of mine. Slight learning curve to this. But quick to figure out.
RC cars need balancing like real cars. Just that RC wheels/tires are really out of wack all the time. Picture driving a real car like this. Real Car would be uncontrollable. Same applies here.

Mine below. The larger the tire usually more clay it needs.
Clean the inner wheels well with alcohol first!!! Use a silver Sharpie to find the mark the Light part of the wheel for reference. This is where you place the weight.
After the wheel stops spinning. I test the results by spinning the wheel fast. As you get the right amount of clay on there,( trial and error) you see the wheel vibrates less in your hand.
I use the 17mm wheel nut placed inside the hub to mount the FT balancer perfectly centered. Just how I do it.
Critical for a proper balance. Handle of balancer held/mounted from the outside of the wheel. Easier to place weights on the inner rim.

20221206_123658.jpg

20221206_123705.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah they just need a balance. With your rig On the bench on a stand, you will see which tires are real Bad and off balance when throttled. Careful doing this. Shakes violently. Balance all 4 of them.
This is the Associated Factory Team balancer I use. Cheap ones have poor BB's in them FWIW. Been there.
I use basic Hobby clay. Like found at any Hobby Craft store. I get it by the pound for real cheap. If you buy $RC boutique clay$ you will go broke. Clay is Clay.
Check out this video. I balance any and all RC wheels of mine. Slight learning curve to this. But quick to figure out.
RC cars need balancing like real cars. Just that RC wheels/tires are really out of wack all the time. Picture driving a real car like this. Real Car would be uncontrollable. Same applies here.

Mine below. The larger the tire usually more clay it needs.
Clean the inner wheels well with alcohol first!!! Use a silver Sharpie to find the mark the Light part of the wheel for reference. This is where you place the weight.
After the wheel stops spinning. I test the results by spinning the wheel fast. As you get the right amount of clay on there,( trial and error) you see the wheel vibrates less in your hand.
I use the 17mm wheel nut placed inside the hub to mount the FT balancer perfectly centered. Just how I do it.
Critical for a proper balance. Handle of balancer held/mounted from the outside of the wheel. Easier to place weights on the inner rim.

View attachment 260778

View attachment 260779
I did a deeper dive when I got home from work & found that the foam inside the 2 tires has completely come apart, causing the shaking/balance issue. These tires were purchased 11/02/22 crazy🤷🏼‍♂️.. not sure why the inside foam would just disintegrate.

Couple of notes: give the wheels a good rinse/rub down and wipe dry, and keep in mind how much clearance you have to the hub or any interferences for the inside of of the wheel. One of my kaiju wheels needed so much tape that I had to line up my tape stacks two deep into the wheel otherwise it was hitting the hub/a-arm. Didn't realize the first tape stack I had was so high it was hitting the hub until I had re-assembled the truck and went to test drive, and it wouldn't move!
I think Hobby Clay is best. Used it for like 30 years.

Yeah for very small TC and 1/10 wheels (onroad stuff), tape or golfers weights can be used. But for large MT wheels and tires, Clay is best. I tried them all.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back