Typhon Other Software on 150A RTR ESC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n0clip

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Hello, I have noticed that in my Typhon 6s V5 the 150a ESC has fewer adjustment options than the ESC that you can buy separately. Drag brake force, neutral range and cutoff voltage are missing in my controller. Is there a special reason for this and can I possibly upload another software?

Hello, I have noticed that in my Typhon 6s V5 the 150a ESC has fewer adjustment options than the ESC that you can buy separately. Drag brake force, neutral range and cutoff voltage are missing in my controller. Is there a special reason for this and can I possibly upload another software?
Welcome to the forum, man! No drag brake setting, but neutral range is set with initial throttle calibration and LiPo cutoff is a preset value, no adjustment possible.
If nothing else, drag brake settings should be a must.

The one that comes with your car is a ready to run esc, they are usually neutered down vs their retail or Hobbywing counterparts. I do not recall if you can flash the firmware on the rtr to use the retail version firmware or not.

Are you going by what you found as configurable on the ESC or what you read in a manual? The Firma ESCs have notoriously poorly written manuals with options specified that aren’t actually available.
It's just like slick2500 said. The functions in the RTR ESC are restricted.
Here is a link to the manual I found online:
https://www.spektrumrc.com/on/deman...on-master/default/Manuals/Firma-Manual-EN.pdf
The possible settings in this PDF on page 10 do not match those in the Typhon manual.

Are you going by what you found as configurable on the ESC or what you read in a manual? The Firma ESCs have notoriously poorly written manuals with options specified that aren’t actually available.
Now that I think about it , I don't think the retail Firma esc has an adjustable BEC either.
https://www.spektrumrc.com/on/deman...on-master/default/Manuals/Firma-Manual-EN.pdf
The possible settings in this PDF on page 10 do not match those in the Typhon manual.
I've found that those manuals are wrong vs what you actually get.

Those manuals are not correct. There are inconsistencies in the Arrma manual and manuals published on the various Horizon, Spektrum websites or what you Google. There’s a thread here on the forum where someone talked to Horizon and they admitted the manuals online are wrong and the ESC never had certain capabilities like adjustable LVC.

Last edited:
This is big poop. I don't understand why they don't give us the full options like in the Hobbywing ESCs.

Feel your pain, we have all been wishing they would expand programming options for these ESC's.....

I think I'll replace the Spektrum ESC with a Hobbywing 8BL150 is pretty much the same device. It just doesn't have telemetry, but who uses that crap in an off-roader that's meant for bashing. It is only compatible with Spektrum anyway.

I think I'll replace the Spektrum ESC with a Hobbywing 8BL150 is pretty much the same device. It just doesn't have telemetry, but who uses that crap in an off-roader that's meant for bashing. It is only compatible with Spektrum anyway.
I would go with at least a Max8 I wouldn't bother with the 8BL150 to be honest.

Why the max8? I don't see the benefit.

The 8bl150 is at its limits with the stock motor and gearing the Max8 can handle slightly larger motors or more gearing and has an adjustable 6A bec VS the fixed 6v 3a bec on the 8bl150. If you are replacing the stock esc might as well get something better instead of something that is basically the same thing as what you already have.

These are the things you can adjust on the 8BL150.

vsd4tgdfitled.jpg

This is the Max8

arewrfsffdsitled.jpg

Last edited:
The 8bl150 is at its limits with the stock motor and gearing the Max8 can handle slightly larger motors or more gearing and has an adjustable 6A bec VS the fixed 6v 3a bec on the 8bl150. If you are replacing the stock esc might as well get something better instead of something that is basically the same thing as what you already have.

These are the things you can adjust on the 8BL150.

View attachment 257585

This is the Max8

View attachment 257586
I miss the neutral range in this ESC. can you tell me how it feels? The low voltage cutoff is also harder to set, as far as I understand it.

There is no setting for the throttle range like in the 8BL150. And the cutoff voltage is not exactly defined. There is only intermediate or high. With the 8BL150 you can select a defined number of volts.

Last edited:
There is no setting for the throttle range like in the 8BL150. And the cutoff voltage is not exactly defined. There is only intermediate or high. With the 8BL150 you can select a defined number of volts.

Oh okay. IDK how much if any difference the throttle range setting will make and the lcv is a little weird yeah but I find intermediate to be a happy medium for the LVC.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back