Outcast Outcast 2nd time out pinion DEAD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So

Sorry for the triple post, the mobile site was really buggy earlier. Lol.

Anyway, the paper is your gauge to keep you from setting it too tight (Don't tear the paper) but letting you get it close enough to be a good mesh (pinching the paper so the gears mark/indent each side is the goal). Basically, the way I like my gears set is to be able to wiggle them about one mm or two back and forth once the mesh is set. It's not super scientific with teeth this big but if you're too tight, you'll bind and heat up the motor or if you're too loose the teeth will slip under stress and possibly chip a tooth or completely destroy a gear.
I be using this method for sure I'll let u know how I go Cheers !!!!

Honestly the best method is to do it by feel. I just use the paper to get it somewhat close with these big motors and then do small adjustments to get it right. Its really easy on these big tooth gears. 64 pitch gears are quite a bit tougher.

Took my outcast out for the 2ND time today and my 12 tooth pinion shattered...it's now a 8 tooth pinion lol..very disappointed as I was tearing up the park and the bmx track....did a few jumps no back flips just a bit of throttle control in the air,was having a good time till I heard my car screaming for help!

That seems like a bad pinion because the mesh looks a little off but not enough to shear 4 teeth on the pinion. Stock arrma pinions are crap upgrade and save yourself the headaches.

Or maybe it' just the way some ppl drive! Lol first rule of thumb when hitting jumps. Make sure your finger is not in the throttle when you hit the landing, parcial throttle is ok I believe, but nailing a good landing with the throttle down will for sure break gears! And this rule applies even at small jumps all the wat to duperbash style jumps! lol.

Hopefully everybody already knows this, but just incase...

General driving - I never just completey hammer it. For example if I'm doing a standing back flip, I get rolling first and then hammer it so the gears arent slamming. I don't hit revers untill the vehicle has come to a complete stop, nor do I hit any forward throttle if the vehicle is still moving backwards. All stock gearing no problems and I put this thing through hell!

I don't know why people brought this thread back from the dead, but you are right about not nailing the throttle on landing, you must hit the throttle over the jump though or you just nose dive. However I'm not sure this logic holds as true as it did 30 years ago. I remember back in 1987 or so I stripped a new 50 dollar spur gear in one race holding the throttle down as no one told me to release when I landed. This though was not in the days of center diffs and slippers and such. I can't see doing much damage even holding the throttle down when landing because the center diff should just shoot the power elsewhere. Not saying its great for the gears, but I don't think its really going to hurt it massively like with a 2 wheel drive car where the gears just shred.

Very true. But man the power these vehicles Make! Oh yeah throttle all you want in the air, just make sure to let off before landing. Back in the day the power was a little bit different.

But in my expierence with arrma and big batteries, I blew my front input shaft and center diff over a few different full throttle (Or close to it) landings in my brand new typhon. Replaced. Next day blew another input shaft from full throttle or so landings. Then I figured out what i was doing wrong. Havnt had a problem since in any of my vehicles.

called to get a couple of things warrantied including the pinion. Pinion is backordered until late June. How the heck is a pinion backordered till late June??
yep I was just told the same thing today except they told me late may .WTH also can anyone tell me how to go about matching another brand of pinion .seems pretty simple I'm just really new at this .I'm even new at this whole on line thing .

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back