Outcast Outcast 2nd time out pinion DEAD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cater4anytink

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Took my outcast out for the 2ND time today and my 12 tooth pinion shattered...it's now a 8 tooth pinion lol..very disappointed as I was tearing up the park and the bmx track....did a few jumps no back flips just a bit of throttle control in the air,was having a good time till I heard my car screaming for help!

Attachments

• IMAG0473.jpg
    IMAG0473.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 193
Took my outcast out for the 2ND time today and my 12 tooth pinion shattered...it's now a 8 tooth pinion lol..very disappointed as I was tearing up the park and the bmx track....did a few jumps no back flips just a bit of throttle control in the air,was having a good time till I heard my car screaming for help!
Your gear mesh looks to much,might be why it broke?

T
Thanks for your feedback..just found out what gear mesh is as I'm a newbie... that's how it came from arrma,I've installed the 16 tooth pinion now hopefully this one last

My guess is a turdling hard rock or something got chunked into the teeth or simply a defective pinion.
Rich I think your theory's probably right as I was driving on a dusty bmx track and there was was pebbles about..I checked the manual and the gear mesh looked ok,I've now put the 16 tooth pinion in I've done it like it how the manual says.

Kauaiguy would you say the gear mesh should be closer?

T

Thanks for your feedback..just found out what gear mesh is as I'm a newbie... that's how it came from arrma,I've installed the 16 tooth pinion now hopefully this one last

Rich I think your theory's probably right as I was driving on a dusty bmx track and there was was pebbles about..I checked the manual and the gear mesh looked ok,I've now put the 16 tooth pinion in I've done it like it how the manual says.

Just a little closer would be ideal.

T

Once you think mesh is right visually with some space for movement, recommend using your finger nail to wiggle spur gear back and forth from battery pack side or underneath truck in chassis slit to click spur off pinion. Your ears and finger will become conditioned to what sounds and feels right along with what looks right. I usually free spin or push truck across floor freely to engage gears, listen to rolling sounds, and then check mesh again by quickly rocking spur with finger again. Use all your senses and you'll get better/ more confident with your own judgement of proper mesh. If truck is running slower or hotter, too tight? If pinion teeth are pitting towards ends, could be too loose/sloppy.

Last edited:
I roll a piece of standard copy paper between the gears to set the mesh. It's never failed me. I always keep a few thin strips in the toolbox in a medicine bottle.

I opened our new Outcast Xmas morning and have since replaced three pinions and have broken the shaft on the motor today. I also destroyed the spur gear as well. Had this truck out three times in all. Im really surprised at this. Have a bunch of arrma trucks and swear by them but this really is surprising. Very disappointed that I defend Arrma so arduously.

There's something wrong with that truck. No way it should be breaking those parts like that. I'm not familiar with the platform, does it have a slipper clutch? If so you need to back it way off. If that doesn't help you need to look further into the union of the pinion and spur and see what's going wrong. There's gotta be a geometry issue causing binding or something. It's not the outcast, it's something going on with YOUR outcast. Have you called up ARRMA support and picked their brains yet?

There's something wrong with that truck. No way it should be breaking those parts like that. I'm not familiar with the platform, does it have a slipper clutch? If so you need to back it way off. If that doesn't help you need to look further into the union of the pinion and spur and see what's going wrong. There's gotta be a geometry issue causing binding or something. It's not the outcast, it's something going on with YOUR outcast. Have you called up ARRMA support and picked their brains yet?
Ahhh. Not going to go that route but thanks anyway. I'm just paying for the optional HD spur and maybe an hour of labor at 21$/ hr. They stock robinson racing pinions too.

Here's the thing, though.....If your motor mount is bent, or your chassis isn't true, or the slipper is malfunctioning for some reason, putting heavy duty parts in is only going to mask the problem. You need to find out what's really wrong.
its brand new and I just got so disgusted - I left it at the LHS - been back n forth to hobby shop nearly everyday since xmas - its annoying and Im really surprised. Yes theres no reason for a brand new truck I agree. Just flat out disgusted at this point. When I get this back - no more 6S at all.

Exactly what ours looked like. I assumed my son wasn't releasing the throttle before landing. Maybe I should hit arrma up for a pinion under warranty.

The ARRMA pinions aren't the toughest. I replaced mine with a Losi pinion and have had no more issues.

My son has been thru two stock ones (replaced the first under warrenty). Gear mesh and mount were good as far as we could tell. The stock 12T doesn't like of the highest quality when new. We ordered a Robinsons Racing 12T, and we'll see how that does.

called to get a couple of things warrantied including the pinion. Pinion is backordered until late June. How the heck is a pinion backordered till late June??

called to get a couple of things warrantied including the pinion. Pinion is backordered until late June. How the heck is a pinion backordered till late June??
Don't replace pinion with stock Arrma one, too many failures IMHO. I'd recommend trying any other quality brand Mod 1, 5mm shaft pinion. Save yourself the hassle, any LHS should have better alternatives as suggested above. Can't go wrong with Robinson Racing Extra Hard.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back