Outcast Outcast 4s BLX120 esc won't power on

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robcon27

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Outcast 4s
Not sure if this is getting posted in the right place but I'll keep it short and to the point. I have an Outcast 4s BLX120 that's about year old, haven't done anything with it in about 4 months. I put 2 new fresh batteries in today (Zeee power 5200mah 80c 2S) charged to 8.4 total and I got nothing. Radio batteries are good, switched out the EC5 to deans adapter with new ones and tried multiple batteries. ESC light doesn't come on and no fans running. Is this a common problem with the 120 ESC, am I over looking something or do I need to dig deeper and start checking term connections and ohm stuff out? Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

Not sure if this is getting posted in the right place but I'll keep it short and to the point. I have an Outcast 4s BLX120 that's about year old, haven't done anything with it in about 4 months. I put 2 new fresh batteries in today (Zeee power 5200mah 80c 2S) charged to 8.4 total and I got nothing. Radio batteries are good, switched out the EC5 to deans adapter with new ones and tried multiple batteries. ESC light doesn't come on and no fans running. Is this a common problem with the 120 ESC, am I over looking something or do I need to dig deeper and start checking term connections and ohm stuff out? Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thank you!
Look at your connectors maybe you esc switch went defective call horizonhobby if the issue continues its not a normal bahvior of a blx esc

Thank you for the reply, I'll double check those after I get my boys Granite mega 550 Quicrun 1080 ESC swap figured out.

Finally had a chance to take a quick look at things. Double checked batteries and voltage through adapters, checked motor connections and opened on/off switch and verified voltage there also. Still have nothing, no lights or fan, I'm guessing something fried. Any other help or suggestions are welcome, thanks

If you have the model with cap packs on the battery side of the esc wires check the connection sometimes they come un-soldered or break from moving around you’ll need to cut of the shrink tubings o see it.

Thanks for the response, just got back in town and had a chance to check the connections on the battery side capacitors. All the solder joints look good and nothing is loose, maybe it's a good time to upgrade?

Out of curiosity I just checked voltage on the load side of the capacitor, (the solder joints on the bottom side of the board going to the ESC) With 2 2s lipos plugged in I'm getting 16.7V. I unplugged both packs checked immediately and got 16.7, after 2min got 16.0V, 2 more min got 15.3V, 2 more min 14.6, couple more min 13.9. It seems to be averaging a drain of 6V to 7V every couple min. Does anyone know if this is within spec, it seems to me that the capacitors are probably ok. Thanks guys.

I don't know that there is a spec for discharge rate, but it seems to me your capacitors are fine. They aren't very big and don't store a lot of energy. Have you tried measuring the BEC output voltage?

Out of curiosity I just checked voltage on the load side of the capacitor, (the solder joints on the bottom side of the board going to the ESC) With 2 2s lipos plugged in I'm getting 16.7V. I unplugged both packs checked immediately and got 16.7, after 2min got 16.0V, 2 more min got 15.3V, 2 more min 14.6, couple more min 13.9. It seems to be averaging a drain of 6V to 7V every couple min. Does anyone know if this is within spec, it seems to me that the capacitors are probably ok. Thanks guys.
Hello mate, exactly same problem here everuthing looks fine just nothing, no power!
Did you solve the problem in the end??
Cheers

No worries, I ended up just buying a new replacement blx 120 esc. I haven't installed it yet but plan on doing so soon and it should hopefully fix the issue. I'll let you know, thanks

So with all the BS with covid and life I literally just started to install this new BLX 120 ESC in my Outcast 4s today. I'm usually pretty good with remembering where everything goes but I managed to confuse my self since I removed the old like 1 1/2 years ago. I bought a factory replacement, it's exact the same and still has the stock SRX200 receiver and Tactic radio. So the receiver has AUX, Throttle, Steering and Bind. On the motor fan side, pretty positive it plugs into the pigtail off the blue motor lead, the other end I believe goes to AUX on the receiver, steering has the servo plugged in. What's confusing me is on the receiver throttle channel there's already a wire plugged into the receiver and not connected anything on the other end, it's a female connection on both ends so it couldn't be an extension to plug into the ESC. My initial thoughts are unplug and remove that, then plug in the other wire off the ESC into the throttle channel. Does this seem correct or am I completely over thinking stuff, I really don't wanna fry a new $120 ESC. Any help would be great, I will attach some pics of the mystery wire.

20220123_203847.jpg

20220123_204019_HDR.jpg

Just remove that wire. You are not going to fry anything esc plug into the esc socket and servo into the servo socket. Aux you can plus your extension lead for the fan there
Yeah idk what tht wire ur showing is for. My best bet would be its the extension lead of the old esc for the motor fan but it broke

Thank you sir, that was my initial thoughts but it's been awhile and just wasn't positive. I will get it hooked up tomorrow, see if I can get it programmed and find out if the ESC was the actual problem to begin with.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back