Outcast Outcast 4s chassis upgrades.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oh How Original

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Kraton 4s
  3. Outcast 6s
  4. Typhon 3s
Does anyone company make some kind of under chassis brace for the Outcast 4s?
Second run with mine, the chassis is RIP!

Vykwhvj.jpg

Does anyone company make some kind of under chassis brace for the Outcast 4s?
Second run with mine, the chassis is RIP!

Vykwhvj.jpg
Not that I’ve found. TBone makes a skid plate, but it doesn’t reinforce anything to a great degree. And its a PITA to take on/off. Best just to stock up on chassis when you find them. They are sometimes as low as $5 each on JRC.

Not that I’ve found. TBone makes a skid plate, but it doesn’t reinforce anything to a great degree. And its a PITA to take on/off. Best just to stock up on chassis when you find them. They are sometimes as low as $5 each on JRC.

Sadly, I'm in the UK, we don't get good deals like that lol, they work out to around $30 each, I will have to just accept the fact it's going to break if I beat it up.

Sadly, I'm in the UK, we don't get good deals like that lol, they work out to around $30 each, I will have to just accept the fact it's going to break if I beat it up.
Reach out to @Rons RC and see if he is breaking 3S/4S kits yet.

it happens, its all part of it.. and typically a hit like that will bend aluminum anyway, so your better off with plastic.. an aftermarket chassis would cost a fortune for these things... landing them flat is the key, and sometimes things happen and its just not possible, so they take the hit... it takes a good amount of force to break them.. i send my 4s off some good size jumps and have yet to break a chassis on it...the video below shows the beatings i give this rig...

Some nice jumps there, I just got unlucky, plus when the skid came out, I should have stopped but I didn't notice it.
I wondered if maybe RPM or someone made a good nylon skid, or maybe something a bit longer that helps the two vulnerable areas front and rear.
I'm not treating it as a big deal... And for you, landing on grass definitely helps lol.

ya landing on pavement/concrete is a killer..i do it quite often myself.. but if you can stick the landings it will live on, although the factory skid plates will not.. the tbone skid is crappy at best.. you can make your own skid plate out of anything really.. thin plastic cutting boards, clip boards, anything you can think of really.. just have to get creative..

I did consider making my own, just need to get a template drawn up and use some ABS plastic, or some kind of nylon maybe... I did notice the rear skid is kinda thin and could catch on stuff very easily.

I did consider making my own, just need to get a template drawn up and use some ABS plastic, or some kind of nylon maybe... I did notice the rear skid is kinda thin and could catch on stuff very easily.
Try Kydex maybe.

Do you think this would help the 4S rigs too?

Yes, but more difficult. you will need to cut and drill it(leaving room for the screws to pass through), then epoxy the plate to the chassis using multiple small C-clamps. Or use carbon fiber fabric and epoxy to wrap/cover the bottom of the chassis. there are a lot of DIY Youtube vids on how to reinforce with carbon fiber and fiberglass. Fiberglass will actually hold up longer for this application.

I used a 1mm composite fiberglass/carbon fiber plate. A unidirectional plate would probably be better for this application.
looks nice.? and carbon plate is cheap...?

i think it would help significantly if you can find a way to secure it front to rear.. not so sure it will help if you cant secure it under each diff.. seems thats where they like to break...
Good quality plate isn't so cheap. Around €40 for a 50mm X 50mm plate

I've thought about reinforcing the 3s/4s chassis with a couple 5mm thick carbon rods going down either side of the chassis. Not as difficult to fabricate/install as a full sized plate and would double as skid rails but I haven't attempted it yet since I haven't broken a chassis in half yet.

I've thought about reinforcing the 3s/4s chassis with a couple 5mm thick carbon rods going down either side of the chassis. Not as difficult to fabricate/install as a full sized plate and would double as skid rails but I haven't attempted it yet since I haven't broken a chassis in half yet.
Yet... ? :p

When I brake some 3s and 4s models for the shop ( www.ronsrc.store ). I will experiment with making a reinforcement kit. My idea would be to sell the stock chassis but as a reenforced modified version. ready to install. I would have to sell it for around €80. What do you guys think?

Also, if you don't mind ask around on FB groups as well for me. The last time I posted a question like this because I'm a vendor they (Arrma 4x4 3S & 4S BLX) didn't seem to respond well. I think they think I'm trolling for business, and I guess they would be half right. I love to provide helpful tips whenever I can but I also have a hard time passing up opportunities to promote my store. ?

Yes, but more difficult. you will need to cut and drill it(leaving room for the screws to pass through), then epoxy the plate to the chassis using multiple small C-clamps. Or use carbon fiber fabric and epoxy to wrap/cover the bottom of the chassis. there are a lot of DIY Youtube vids on how to reinforce with carbon fiber and fiberglass. Fiberglass will actually hold up longer for this application.

I used a 1mm composite fiberglass/carbon fiber plate. A unidirectional plate would probably be better for this application.

what are you buying? maybe your location? ill say it again, carbon plate is cheap... we arent building a bridge, we are supporting a chassis.. 2mm plate 8" x 10" 23 bucks shipped.. so figure 35 bucks at most for a full length plate to cover the chassis..

How easy is this CF plate to bend to match kick up? Or maybe get a thicker piece and CNC mill it to fit?

How easy is this CF plate to bend to match kick up? Or maybe get a thicker piece and CNC mill it to fit?
Carbon fiber is not really bendable once it's hardened, I mean it can flex a tiny little but it snaps back. Not sure about CNCing a thick flat piece to have a curve but my vote is it wouldn't be practical and compromise it's strength but that's just my thoughts based on my experience with it in racing drones.

I've ran a hand router with some jigs on some carbon fiber sheets to shape my own replacement race drone frame parts and that stuff is super nasty to work with. The resin/carbon dust is bad stuff for sure and you definitely don't want it on your skin/eyes/lungs.

Maybe if it's baked/heated it can bend and hold a new shape but no idea how hot that would have to be depending on the resin that's used, plus it probably makes some nasty toxic fumes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back