Outcast Outcast 4s runaway

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Death

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton 4s
So I'm running the 4s outcast today and all of a sudden the thing takes off like a rocket, full throttle. Has anyone got any ideas as to what would cause a runaway in an electric vehicle? Is this just an isolated incident? Please help!

Is the fail safe set?. If no the truck will take off if signal is lost. Usually you notice it is by accidentally turning off the transmitter before turning the car off and it goes flying.

This runaway happened with a dx3c TX and a sr3100 rx
I've never had a problem like this with any of my rigs. I've been rc'ing for 20 yrs plus. I'm completely stumped. Maybe it lost signal for a second or two. I turned the TX off and on again and had no further problems. Partly because I broke a shock rod end shortly after the runaway.

I've never had a problem like this with any of my rigs. I've been rc'ing for 20 yrs plus. I'm completely stumped. Maybe it lost signal for a second or two. I turned the TX off and on again and had no further problems. Partly because I broke a shock rod end shortly after the runaway.
I think there is a short somewhere check your motor fan conections because when i was in the woods my car started to brake and go full speed randomly when i was driving i though the esc was gone but after inspection the motor fan wires where they were soldered from the factory were touching each other i disconnected the motor and tried to short the motor fan and esc red light turned on meaning the car was going fowards.
If you cant find anything wrong call horizon for warranty on the esc or receiver

I had this happen once but was my fault turning radio off first, car took off full speed and gave me chest pains.

as others said failsafe should prevent this BUT if you punch sr3100 and brownout into google you get quite a few interesting hits which may give you an indication here

Last edited:
I’ve had that once with my 3s BRCC.

Not exactly sure what caused it but was scary as hell. I did have an issue with the motor wires rubbing through but that shouldn’t cause a runaway. I just changed the batteries and checked the throttle tim to be down a bit and haven’t had ant issues again. I had the tactic controler so also a bit different.

I run the eBay SR3100 rx's in a few of my rigs, wish I would have known about this issue before I bought them.

I run the eBay SR3100 rx's in a few of my rigs, wish I would have known about this issue before I bought them.
I had a ton of issues with that. I think it’s because I used to run MMM escs which had really weak becs, because nowdays with my dx2s I don’t have any issues.

all stock? I would think it may be the STX2 and FHSS receiver - while FHSS generally on paper looks better than the DMS based systems I had a few issues with FHSS even at short distance (<25m) on my helis why I only use FASStest - so I would bet on the transmitter/receiver combo
I had the original controller for v3 typhon worked fine till I dropped it they sent this stx2 and receiver hr later it caused my rig to smash into curb and parts went flying everywhere walk of shame felt so bad it hurt I have upgrades galore. Now I have a redcat controller and receiver combo works good lol still hesitant on running where curbs exist haha

I had a ton of issues with that. I think it’s because I used to run MMM escs which had really weak becs, because nowdays with my dx2s I don’t have any issues.
Well so far I have been lucky and have not had any issues, but I think I'll start looking into the real Spektrum rxs, maybe get a more recent rx.

Well so far I have been lucky and have not had any issues, but I think I'll start looking into the real Spektrum rxs, maybe get a more recent rx.
The receiver is nothing new, it’s some 2012 sr3100. I was just demonstrating the fact that I had a lot of issue because of a bad BEC.

Man so I just got my outcast 4s 3 days ago and I had the EXACT same thing happen. It happened multiple times. I also have been in the hobby for 25 years and know how to operate rc’s. I was gonna start my own post and saw this.
For what’s it’s worth I recalibrated the esc as far as neutral,throttle, reverse. Also set brake and punch. Still happened after that. Will investigate more this weekend. Not too happy though.

Man so I just got my outcast 4s 3 days ago and I had the EXACT same thing happen. It happened multiple times. I also have been in the hobby for 25 years and know how to operate rc’s. I was gonna start my own post and saw this.
For what’s it’s worth I recalibrated the esc as far as neutral,throttle, reverse. Also set brake and punch. Still happened after that. Will investigate more this weekend. Not too happy though.
I am safe to assume you have the STX2 radio?

Yup! The funny thing is I read enough bad things that I ordered a flysky radio before I ever got the car. I used bangood so I won’t get it for a while but I ordered the radio, eco boost servo, and can’t remember the name but started with a K hd Servo saver. I hope the radio takes care of this. I am going to try and re bind it and also check wiring for a loose or pinched etc wire but I’m not hopeful.

Yup! The funny thing is I read enough bad things that I ordered a flysky radio before I ever got the car. I used bangood so I won’t get it for a while but I ordered the radio, eco boost servo, and can’t remember the name but started with a K hd Servo saver. I hope the radio takes care of this. I am going to try and re bind it and also check wiring for a loose or pinched etc wire but I’m not hopeful.
Yeah this time of year the slow boat can get extra slow too. But Banggood is usually pretty decent, the last 2 orders I ordered from China came within 2-3 weeks.

Yeah this time of year the slow boat can get extra slow too. But Banggood is usually pretty decent, the last 2 orders I ordered from China came within 2-3 weeks.
Yeah hoping it’s quick. Also I ended up going with the dumborc radio. I was thinking about the flysky so I thought I bought it but when I checked I went with the dumbo. $25 can’t beat it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back