Outcast Outcast 4s V2 and Kraton 4s V2 My experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HZRDOS

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
  2. Outcast 4s
  3. Outcast EXB
  4. Talion EXB
I will star by saying when this release dropped - I was like...Nope. Not another slipper setup. Don't like them.

Well...somehow...I now have both. To sum it up...I do not regret the purchase of either of them :)

I love how smooth and quiet they are. The Outcast is a crazy little truck. Wants to wheelie everywhere....but I like that.

The Kraton, I can actually ride a wheelie for as long as I want. But - it is definitely more planted when you want it to be.

I didnt even touch the stock suspension - and I don't want to. It works. It works WELL.

Both have the same upgrades before I even placed in a pack - so cant speak for stock. Running a 2200kv sensored system with 15t in both of them. Plenty fast. Outcast will do a standing backflip with no issues. Steering - I have a 35kg servo and Kimbrough 124 saver in both. Only "toughness" upgrade I did was aluminum yokes front and rear.

Funny about the posted weights - same claimed weight as my Sketer, but my Sketer feels so much heavier. Odd.

1661623958511.png

I will star by saying when this release dropped - I was like...Nope. Not another slipper setup. Don't like them.

Well...somehow...I now have both. To sum it up...I do not regret the purchase of either of them :)

I love how smooth and quiet they are. The Outcast is a crazy little truck. Wants to wheelie everywhere....but I like that.

The Kraton, I can actually ride a wheelie for as long as I want. But - it is definitely more planted when you want it to be.

I didnt even touch the stock suspension - and I don't want to. It works. It works WELL.

Both have the same upgrades before I even placed in a pack - so cant speak for stock. Running a 2200kv sensored system with 15t in both of them. Plenty fast. Outcast will do a standing backflip with no issues. Steering - I have a 35kg servo and Kimbrough 124 saver in both. Only "toughness" upgrade I did was aluminum yokes front and rear.

Funny about the posted weights - same claimed weight as my Sketer, but my Sketer feels so much heavier. Odd.

View attachment 239360
Yea, since I got my Maxx I’ve lost interest in my sketer. Think I’m gonna pull the power setup and sell it as a roller lol. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yea, since I got my Maxx I’ve lost interest in my sketer. Think I’m gonna pull the power setup and sell it as a roller lol. 🤷🏻‍♂️
My Sketer is probably my highest custom rig. Took a lot to get it to where I like it. I have the handling spot on where I like it, but still playing with the gearing to get it where I want it. Only thing still stock really is the chassis and drivetrain. Same power setup as in the 2 arrma 4s rigs and my MT410, yet it is still slower than them all. I need my rigs to be quick to speed, and top out around 50mph.

I think it is the weight that is killing the speed coupled with the taller F/R diff gearing. 13/43. I know, theoretically final drive is all that matters, but I am going to blame the diff gearing. Lol.

20220825_183751.jpg

I recall reading your hesitations. I feel the same, after chewing up a couple of outdrives in my V1 Kraton and a set of gears using the plastic yokes I figured this would be more of the same. Glad to hear your review. I'm a few parts away from completing a V2 OC. Was gonna just run the new body on my V1 Kraton but I'd rather not chop up a good body just yet.
Thanks for the share.

I recall reading your hesitations. I feel the same, after chewing up a couple of outdrives in my V1 Kraton and a set of gears using the plastic yokes I figured this would be more of the same. Glad to hear your review. I'm a few parts away from completing a V2 OC. Was gonna just run the new body on my V1 Kraton but I'd rather not chop up a good body just yet.
Thanks for the share.
My buddy threw a new full V2 rear diff assembly in his V1 outcast. He has been trying to abuse it, and it has held up. Old one would kill the diff each time he did a standing backflip. But the V2 diff has held up. So that's good news. I am hoping they also switched to a better steel on the internal gears, seems like they did.
And I built a V1 Kraton and V1 Outcast. Sold both because I kept killing the diffs.

My buddy threw a new full V2 rear diff assembly in his V1 outcast. He has been trying to abuse it, and it has held up. Old one would kill the diff each time he did a standing backflip. But the V2 diff has held up. So that's good news. I am hoping they also switched to a better steel on the internal gears, seems like they did.
And I built a V1 Kraton and V1 Outcast. Sold both because I kept killing the diffs.
Rich, I followed that/those builds and tried to cheap out on the axles and diff yokes, but ended up mimicing your Outcast build with a spectrum 130a combo, which ( knock on wood) is still holding up. I can't pull full throttle on the V1 without it flipping and love doing wheelies in my Kraton so I figured I'd swap bodies. In the end it looks like I'll end up with an actual V2 Outcast with the HW combo I'm using in my Sketer. I tried selling the Kraton and got no intrest. So I'll use the full metsl diffs I built for that in the V2 Outcast. Hope they hold up better.

Rich, I followed that/those builds and tried to cheap out on the axles and diff yokes, but ended up mimicing your Outcast build with a spectrum 130a combo, which ( knock on wood) is still holding up. I can't pull full throttle on the V1 without it flipping and love doing wheelies in my Kraton so I figured I'd swap bodies. In the end it looks like I'll end up with an actual V2 Outcast with the HW combo I'm using in my Sketer. I tried selling the Kraton and got no intrest. So I'll use the full metsl diffs I built for that in the V2 Outcast. Hope they hold up better.
Sweet.

The limiting factor for me was the output shaft gear in the diff. There were no options for an upgrade to this part unless you went with HR axles and they have a new one to match the axles. Don't know how strong that was, but already had the Arrma CVDs. I am hoping this internal gear is a new material like the main gear and input gear on the V2

1661688788750.png

So, first impressions were I like the OC more. But...I have run about 6 packs through the K4S past two days, and I really like it. It is now a toss up to which I like more. I LOVE the easy to ride high speed wheelies with the Kraton, and not landing on the lid as much. Thing rocks!!!

View attachment 239360
Would it be possible to put the outcast v2 body on the kraton v2?

Possible....sure. with some mods and will not look great.
Still enjoying the 4s rigs? Find any other weakness yet? Spur and diffs holding up and all? The ones I built are still doing great but I don’t drive them as hard as you.

Still enjoying the 4s rigs? Find any other weakness yet? Spur and diffs holding up and all? The ones I built are still doing great but I don’t drive them as hard as you.
Still love them. I have really been on a 4s kick lately. Drive the K4s, OC4s and my LMT more than any other rigs. Now building the Axial 4s rig too. Something about that perfect weight and power balance. They just handle so sweet.
And have not had one diff or slipper issue yet. Ride wheelies all day, still do some standing backflips with the OC.

Still love them. I have really been on a 4s kick lately. Drive the K4s, OC4s and my LMT more than any other rigs. Now building the Axial 4s rig too. Something about that perfect weight and power balance. They just handle so sweet.
And have not had one diff or slipper issue yet. Ride wheelies all day, still do some standing backflips with the OC.
That’s great!! I love hearing the durability is solid. Thanks man!!
Can’t wait to see your Axial build also!

That’s great!! I love hearing the durability is solid. Thanks man!!
Can’t wait to see your Axial build also!
Only breaks have been one shock rod end, and a servo. Killed a JX servo on the OC4s....but was running with no saver and doing some decent launches.

Only breaks have been one shock rod end, and a servo. Killed a JX servo on the OC4s....but was running with no saver and doing some decent launches.
I’ve killed 2 JX servos last year within a month of purchase. The first one I had lasted over a year, then those two. I shy away from them now.

Tell me about running with no saver! That’s the one thing that drives me nuts. Those plastic servo savers, no matter what brand, really can’t handle the big tires. I’ve wondered what servo would I have to put in old Yeller for it to be able to handle no saver. It’s basically a v2, 4s Kraton on a long wheelbase chassis. On my other 4s car I’d have to keep a saver. It’s a 3s/4s, v1, v2 mutt on a short wheelbase chassis and is my jumper. But it’s lighter so doesn’t struggle as much.

I’ve killed 2 JX servos last year within a month of purchase. The first one I had lasted over a year, then those two. I shy away from them now.

Tell me about running with no saver! That’s the one thing that drives me nuts. Those plastic servo savers, no matter what brand, really can’t handle the big tires. I’ve wondered what servo would I have to put in old Yeller for it to be able to handle no saver. It’s basically a v2, 4s Kraton on a long wheelbase chassis. On my other 4s car I’d have to keep a saver. It’s a 3s/4s, v1, v2 mutt on a short wheelbase chassis and is my jumper. But it’s lighter so doesn’t struggle as much.
Still don't have a saver in my K4s. No issues yet. Man, does it steer soooo much better.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back