Outcast Outcast 4S v2 Bulletproofing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuzboss

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Senton 6s
Just picked up a Outcast 4S v2 with a M2C motor mount on the side and this thing is what I’ve been missing from my fleet. It needs almost nothing from what I can see but i want to make it trouble free. I put in a 15T pinion and when i pulled the case off the whole housing was FULL of sand. I saw Rich D cut out a small hole under the spur on the chassis to let it all out and wanted to know if anyone else did that and it worked because i see it as another place for stuff to get in. I also wanted to know how much gearing i can really throw at it before i risk burning stuff up. I figured a 15T pinion was safe. Its my 1st Outcast and my 1st 4S vehicle so i wanted to know if there is anything else i can do to prevent failure. Aside from that it looks like my Emaxxes will be on a shelf for a while, this thing is awesome.

I run the cutout under the spur on mine and it's staying pretty clean inside the power unit. IMHO that's the way to go because if anything gets in there gravity helps it find its way out.

I'm running the stock motor, esc and pinion (13 tooth I think?) on mine and don't feel it needs any more gear but I don't know if going up to a 15t would overheat it...definitely check temps while running until you get a feel for that.

I prefer sealing the module.. 👍..

Anything with gearing should go along with a temp check session.. Break out that temp gun and run some numbers... seasons, surface, fans and throttle input will alter temperatures greatly... What may work for you may not work for someone else, and vice versa...

Just picked up a Outcast 4S v2 with a M2C motor mount on the side and this thing is what I’ve been missing from my fleet. It needs almost nothing from what I can see but i want to make it trouble free. I put in a 15T pinion and when i pulled the case off the whole housing was FULL of sand. I saw Rich D cut out a small hole under the spur on the chassis to let it all out and wanted to know if anyone else did that and it worked because i see it as another place for stuff to get in. I also wanted to know how much gearing i can really throw at it before i risk burning stuff up. I figured a 15T pinion was safe. Its my 1st Outcast and my 1st 4S vehicle so i wanted to know if there is anything else i can do to prevent failure. Aside from that it looks like my Emaxxes will be on a shelf for a while, this thing is awesome.
Was the M2C motor mount and brace already installed when you found all the sand? Because on my two vehicles that have the M2C mount and brace I have found that it stops most of the stuff from going under the spur case.

I have a hole cut in a couple of my vehicles and the others I don’t. I open up and clean and maintain the cars so much that really doesn’t matter I found. It does help though. Doesn’t let stuff in as much as it allows stuff to be flung out. Still it doesn’t take the place of regular maintenance…

Was the M2C motor mount and brace already installed when you found all the sand? Because on my two vehicles that have the M2C mount and brace I have found that it stops most of the stuff from going under the spur case.

I have a hole cut in a couple of my vehicles and the others I don’t. I open up and clean and maintain the cars so much that really doesn’t matter I found. It does help though. Doesn’t let stuff in as much as it allows stuff to be flung out. Still it doesn’t take the place of regular maintenance…

No it was not installed, i ran barely half a pack through it and it was FULL of sand and dirt. Cleanliness IS next to godliness but God don't want us to constantly have to tear apart our cars to keep them clean 😅 does the M2C mount and brance really help with anything besides keeping more dirt out?

How would you seal the unit? I already made a hole and I’m going to test it out but ill buy another chassis if i can seal it.

No it was not installed, i ran barely half a pack through it and it was FULL of sand and dirt. Cleanliness IS next to godliness but God don't want us to constantly have to tear apart our cars to keep them clean 😅 does the M2C mount and brance really help with anything besides keeping more dirt out?

How would you seal the unit? I already made a hole and I’m going to test it out but ill buy another chassis if i can seal it.
The soft side of Velcro around the spur case Where are the spur is exposed works for a lot of us pretty good. But try putting the m2c mount and brace first, then see what happens when you run it. Sand is always going to be a pain though. It gets in everything on your cars.
Or even better, do Velcro and the mount. See what happens. If it’s still filling up with a bunch of sand at that point you need to cut a slot or a whole in chassis beneath the spur.

I also had the issue where I opened the power module and it was a disaster. I got a little bit of fine dirt in there and it had the wonderful side effect of blowing up the out bearing, so I had fine grit AND steel balls bouncing around. By some divine miracle it didn't break anything.

That being said, I fully intend to cut a hole under the spur, it makes the most sense. All of that sand would have fallen out, and even if the bearing still burst at some point, all those steel balls would have been out of that chamber quickly.

I also had the issue where I opened the power module and it was a disaster. I got a little bit of fine dirt in there and it had the wonderful side effect of blowing up the out bearing, so I had fine grit AND steel balls bouncing around. By some divine miracle it didn't break anything.

That being said, I fully intend to cut a hole under the spur, it makes the most sense. All of that sand would have fallen out, and even if the bearing still burst at some point, all those steel balls would have been out of that chamber quickly.

Yes, stock bearings suck so check often until you’ve replaced them all. TRB, Fast Eddie’s, Jim’s among others last longer. But they still get crunchy (especially if driving in the wet) so will need replacement as needed, preferably before failure.

Make sure there are no sharp corners on your ‘slot’ where cracks can begin. I just do a 1/4th” hole. But still, even with the hole you need to open and clean often. Don’t forget the soft Velcro under the spur case also, it does wonders to help keep crud out.

Don’t forget the soft Velcro under the spur case also, it does wonders to help keep crud out.
I’ve seen this suggested so many times. I have no idea where I’m supposed to put the velcro. Would you mind posting a picture of what you mean?

I’ve seen this suggested so many times. I have no idea where I’m supposed to put the velcro. Would you mind posting a picture of what you mean?
Can’t now, still recovering from surgery. Perhaps someone else can… Surround the opening with thin strips of the soft side of velcro. They ‘semi-seal’ the opening from allowing crud in.
Wait, forgot I’m working on this one in my room. The Velcro is old and I need to redo it but hopefully you get the idea. Mainly I think it’s needed across the front, where the spur hub connects to the center driveshaft. I go ahead and do it all the way around just for grins.

Attachments

• AF99864B-06AC-46AD-90B6-A5A8E7957F24.jpeg
    AF99864B-06AC-46AD-90B6-A5A8E7957F24.jpeg
    257.2 KB · Views: 133
The above picture reminded me of something that I've experienced with my v2 K4s. You know how the slipper tends to have some front to back give? The spring of the center shaft keeps it pushed to the aft position when installed. I've noticed after a few packs of light to moderate bashing, my mesh seems to get a bit sloppy over time. When I remove the power module, the slipper seems locked in and no longer has the front to back give. The bearing on the motor mount becomes un-seated and takes up the space for the axial movement of the slipper. I think the slipper hub reinforcement sleeve that hooks up to the input gear is causing this. I've replaced it with a thinner bearing inner race for now. Has anyone else noticed this?

So i did the little slot underneath the spur in the chassis and ran it through sand and dirt and all of that for a pack and took it apart after and it was spick n span. 100% better than without the slot.

I think I'm the first person to do it, I made a video a couple years back -- 4:35 mark.

Last edited:
The soft side of Velcro around the spur case Where are the spur is exposed works for a lot of us pretty good. But try putting the m2c mount and brace first, then see what happens when you run it. Sand is always going to be a pain though. It gets in everything on your cars.
Or even better, do Velcro and the mount. See what happens. If it’s still filling up with a bunch of sand at that point you need to cut a slot or a whole in chassis beneath the spur.
They sell the netting they has velcro all around the sides of the chassis and a zipper to get into it. You bestto run fans on everything with this on the truck

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back