Outcast Outcast 4s with Hot Racing motor mount bearing issue question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Custnam

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
Hello again forum. After installing the Hot Racing motor mount and a RR 14T pinion into my Outcast 4s I noticed the sound of the driving was quite a bit different. Almost a high pitch squealing. At first I thought it was just the difference between the stock Arrma pinions and the Robinson one. But after driving a couple batteries I decided to check it out. I found that both of the bearings were damaged, and one quite a bit damaged. Pic added. The inner metal seal is bent and tore up a bit on the one below, and the other bearings has the inner seal dented a bit inward.

So I am trying to figure out if this was just a fluke, or does it have something to do with the HR motor mount? The only thing I can think of is the mount isnt straight and puts a lot of pressure on the bearings. I cant see anything obvious and the mount looks perfect. But I know that if its even slightly off it can cause damage. Anyway instead of just ordering new Arrma bearings I ordered a full Jims kit. But Im not sure if I should switch back to the stock mount, or stick with the HR one. I like the way it drives with the 14t pinion, and if needed I could go back to the stock mount and go with a 15T pinion. Anyone else ever see motor mount bearings get damaged like this? Thanks

20200126_183105.jpg

My HR mounts and upgraded bearings have been perfectly solid on my BRCC and Granite...3s but applicable. I think they build stock with junk bearings because theyd automatically be changed out anyway by an end user like us here that pay attention and drive our models.
Bearing kit is low cost and great way to take apart and learn the truck. Worked for me anyway.
I truly think for you it's a fluke and fortunately easy fix. I'd leave the HR motor plate on and get that bearing switched out and good to go. ?

My HR mounts and upgraded bearings have been perfectly solid on my BRCC and Granite...3s but applicable. I think they build stock with junk bearings because theyd automatically be changed out anyway by an end user like us here that pay attention and drive our models.
Bearing kit is low cost and great way to take apart and learn the truck. Worked for me anyway.
I truly think for you it's a fluke and fortunately easy fix. I'd leave the HR motor plate on and get that bearing switched out and good to go. ?

Sounds like a plan. Thx

Hot racing crap i quess for me it did fine but bended like a twig. I think you have a quality control issue in yours. Does your spur gear fits nicely when you close everyhing up or it binds?
I ran the spur stock bearings for a long time and they never did something like yours did. Im not really surprised i found some metal powder inside my shock oil each time i open their shocks. Idk whats really going on with hot racing but im disspointed even their pivot balls have play now my shock pivot balls is just dancing arround even after poping it in inside a new rod end

Hot racing crap i quess for me it did fine but bended like a twig. I think you have a quality control issue in yours. Does your spur gear fits nicely when you close everyhing up or it binds?

It seems fine. I don't notice any binding anywhere. So maybe its just the cheap stock bearings. Ill try the Jims and hope it doesn't happen again. I just wanted to HR one so I could run a 14t pinion. I suppose if I have more issues I could try the Arrma adjustable one.

It seems fine. I don't notice any binding anywhere. So maybe its just the cheap stock bearings. Ill try the Jims and hope it doesn't happen again. I just wanted to HR one so I could run a 14t pinion. I suppose if I have more issues I could try the Arrma adjustable one.
The arrma one got released a month ago and is available everywhere now
i will prey now that it doesn't bend like a stick?

The arrma one got released a month ago and is available everywhere now
i will prey now that it doesn't bend like a stick?
Man, imo its just a 6061 metal plate with slots that allow for the pinion to be more versatile in size. I don't know how it could fail or otherwise cause other stuff to fail unless it changes over time. If its screwed in right and doesn't look funny from the start it's just a plate that fits.

Man, imo its just a 6061 metal plate with slots that allow for the pinion to be more versatile in size. I don't know how it could fail or otherwise cause other stuff to fail unless it changes over time. If its screwed in right and doesn't look funny from the start it's just a plate that fits.

I thought the same thing. Not sure how this could fail. It was screwed in tight and straight so I think the bearings would have gone out either way.

Stock bearings suck. Jim’s will be a great upgrade. I’ve been running my 4s kraton on 16t and man is it awesome. I run the hot racing motor mount with no issues. @Surchaufeur just can’t drive worth a damn I’ve got 3 3s/4s trucks and never bent a motor mount??‍♂️

OK I received and installed my Jims Bearings throughout (Minus the one that isnt used in the Outcast). I also installed a 15T pinion and kept the HR mount. So this should fix her up nice.
Let’r’rip tater chip! ??

OK I received and installed my Jims Bearings throughout (Minus the one that isnt used in the Outcast). I also installed a 15T pinion and kept the HR mount. So this should fix her up nice.

No issues with the HR mount? Im deciding if I should go HR or the Arrma adjustable

No issues with the HR mount? Im deciding if I should go HR or the Arrma adjustable

So far none at all. Love it. I don't think there is much difference between the HR and Arrma one. Both just flat pieces of aluminum. So Id say go with the cheapest.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back