Outcast Outcast 6s 12 tooth pinion. Hot centre diff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverback2002

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 6s
Hi all, I'm back on my stock 12t pinion for the Outcast on 6s. Went for a 5 min play in the park and when finished noticed the centre diff cog was super hot. Should this be the case. Was a lot of wheelies and front wheel spinning in the air. My cogs seem to have a tiny bit of play between them and they mesh freely not tight. Any ideas should it get hot. I never Checked the oil in the centre diff as the car is new

Hi all, I'm back on my stock 12t pinion for the Outcast on 6s. Went for a 5 min play in the park and when finished noticed the centre diff cog was super hot. Should this be the case. Was a lot of wheelies and front wheel spinning in the air. My cogs seem to have a tiny bit of play between them and they mesh freely not tight. Any ideas should it get hot. I never Checked the oil in the centre diff as the car is new
It's from doing wheelies. Mine does the same and I only run the 13t pinion. Heat transfers down the dog bones also. Lots of stress on the centre diff doing wheelies but it's so fun.

Check the diff fluid level. Could be low, which causes heat. Glad that you mentioned your mesh as that was what I would have checked first.

Could also increase the center diff weight so you get more power to the rear tires and it doesn't unload so bad to the front. I run 500k in mine, but thinking of dropping down to 250k the next time I crack it open. I think I'd like a little less power to the rear when I gun it to make it a bit easier on the diffs and to calm down the wheelies some.

My center diff gets hot (170F+) after basic bash when the diff oil has broken down or is low and needs to be replaced. Also, can get that hot under heavy bashing or speed runs. The more you bash and check temps you'll start to know when something is running too hot compared to what you're doing.

It's new and all, but watch your throttle finger. Wheelies are fun till you realize you have to rebuild the center diff sooner than later.
My diff gets as high as 230+ degrees, when running stock 10K oil in it. Its hot because you are Diffing Out. It will run way cooler with a lighter throttle finger. Ultimately you will want a thicker oil. What is happening is normal though. The nature of the beast.
An inexpensive temp gun is great to have. It helps you track performance of your ESC, motor, diffs, lipos, tires. and anything. Great for reference.

Last edited:
It's new and all, but watch your throttle finger. Wheelies are fun till you realize you have to rebuild the center diff sooner than later.
My diff gets as high as 230+ degrees, when running stock 10K oil in it. Its hot because you are Diffing Out. It will run way cooler with a lighter throttle finger. Ultimately you will want a thicker oil. What is happening is normal though. The nature of the beast.
An inexpensive temp gun is great to have. It helps you track performance of your ESC, motor, diffs, lipos, tires. and anything. Great for reference.
Or you can run something like 1M weight oil in the center like me, and have no diff heating issues on wheelies, cause it really doesn't diff out in the front

That's true. Next to zero diff action is running near a locked center spool setup. The diff has no reason to get hot. You could fill the diff cup with epoxy too. I like the advantage of some diff action however. A benefit on loose terrain. And stock diff oil is way too thin for sure.
:cool:
Diffing causes tire rupture. (n)
20190911_131642.jpg

Last edited:
That's true. Next to zero diff action is running near a locked center spool setup. The diff has no reason to get hot. You could fill the diff cup with epoxy too. I like the advantage of some diff action however. A benefit on loose terrain. And stock diff oil is way too thin for sure.
:cool:
Diffing causes tire rupture. (n)View attachment 48060
Save that rubber for inside the battery tray when you finally get around to having to bolt it down?

What a creative idea. Never considered that. I like that one . Recycling can work. Thanx.(y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back