Outcast 6s EXB Front LSD Diff Disassembled

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustAnOutcast

compulsive over-thinker, I think. 🤔
Reaction score
So proud of myself for getting this apart, I just had to share… ☺️

Now off to the auto parts store for some CRC QD Electronic Cleaner.

66B239D3-87BA-486A-8726-78F74304779E.jpeg

View attachment 254089
Don’t forget on reassembly that the lsd plates are directional… they have to be put in a certain way.. if you put them in backwards it can wreck havoc on your internals.. also, I’d replace the external shin you got there… looks like it has a bend in it. Will make putting the diff back in the carrier difficult.

Congrats on getting it all torn down! It’s so many pieces!

throw those LSD plates out! I’ve taken all of them out of all my EXB diffs. I’ve been experimenting with different diffs. With Fluid weights and with and without the LSD plates and I’ve found I have WAY less problems with the non LSD plated diffs then the ones without. I can’t wait for the responses to this post. I got 9 center diffs with different weights and some with and some without LSD plates and 6 front/rear diffs also. I’ve been driving Arrma rigs for 13 years and have build/rebuild over 100 diffs. Let’s hear what the forum has to say!
EAB2D6E7-C83F-47A9-81BE-CB21CD821213.jpeg

throw those LSD plates out! I’ve taken all of them out of all my EXB diffs. I’ve been experimenting with different diffs. With Fluid weights and with and without the LSD plates and I’ve found I have WAY less problems with the non LSD plated diffs then the ones without. I can’t wait for the responses to this post. I got 9 center diffs with different weights and some with and some without LSD plates and 6 front/rear diffs also. I’ve been driving Arrma rigs for 13 years and have build/rebuild over 100 diffs. Let’s hear what the forum has to say! View attachment 254096
I say good for you bud!! I'm not a fan of the lsd diffs either. I bought the "open" shim kits from Arrma to get rid of the lsd plates. Not sure whether I like the kit or not.. mind you, my diffs were well used, but I had a heck of a time getting them shimmed out properly. Thankfully I have a bin full of random shims I've accumulated over the years. I ended up with some interesting combinations of shims to get em just right.
I suppose if I were working with new parts, it may have been different.
I agree though, more parts inherently makes more problems.

throw those LSD plates out! I’ve taken all of them out of all my EXB diffs. I’ve been experimenting with different diffs. With Fluid weights and with and without the LSD plates and I’ve found I have WAY less problems with the non LSD plated diffs then the ones without. I can’t wait for the responses to this post. I got 9 center diffs with different weights and some with and some without LSD plates and 6 front/rear diffs also. I’ve been driving Arrma rigs for 13 years and have build/rebuild over 100 diffs. Let’s hear what the forum has to say! View attachment 254096
The one at the top right is a spool and not a diff :LOL:

I'm just being droll. Please don't take this response too seriously. You clearly have 1000x more diff experience than I do. Just caught my eye, that's all :)

The one at the top right is a spool and not a diff :LOL:

I'm just being droll. Please don't take this response too seriously. You clearly have 1000x more diff experience than I do. Just caught my eye, that's all :)
Your correct.🧐 I wanted to see the difference between the spool and different diffs by weights. I put it in one infraction and put a 500k diff in the other infraction. I like to experiment with gearing and diff fluids.

I'm with you.
Open diffs rule.
Rather use diff fluid CST's to dial in the diff action exclusively. Easier to dial in and setup.
But the EXB diff's main claim to fame is the Robust/stout Main/Input gears. The best Arrma has made. This advantage alone separates the standard open diffs from the EXB's.

Your correct.🧐 I wanted to see the difference between the spool and different diffs by weights. I put it in one infraction and put a 500k diff in the other infraction. I like to experiment with gearing and diff fluids.
Totally understand as it's such a crucial tuning factor, particularly in off-road rigs. I too would want to try the difference between, say, 20M diff fluid and a spool to see/feel the difference. And anything in between.

I'm with you.
Open diffs rule.
Rather use diff fluid CST's dial in the diff action exclusively. Easier to dial in and setup.
But the EXB diff's main claim to fame is the Robust/stout Main/Input gears. The best Arrma has made.
Yes, I have 5 EXB diffs and I’ve removed all the LSD plates. Diff fluid makes the biggest difference.

View attachment 254089
Congrats!! Make sure you read up on the proper orientation of the lsd plates before reassembling. Makes a huge difference, the diffs will not operate properly if the plates are facing the wrong way..in other words, don't do it like I did! LOL
Good luck, and as you know, plenty of good people to help you learn here(except me)😜

+1

This may help.

Many just go with the Arrma "Open shim kit" and remove the LSD action altogether. And use whatever oil CST that suits best.
In keeping with LSD , you can choose between 2 stages of LSD action.
It's your call.
I say open is best. And more importantly at the rear diff, if anything. Arrma's original early released EXB's incorporated the rear diff as an Open one. But it was a fail. The parts were all wrong. Diffs exploding new out the box. Now they offer the "Open shim kit" that works fine now. Arrma finally got it right.
Just that now all current EXB rigs come with all 3 diffs as LSD. Probably easier to produce at the factory. Keeping all as LSD's..
Some don't like the handling and steering that results with LSD all around. And at the rear, the diff seems way too locked, no matter which staging setup is used.
Many say with LSD's, they work better with thinner fluids that are closer to stock CST.

Last edited:

View attachment 254089
We got a brave one here!!!
This is interesting, I think I prefer the drive feel with the limited slip over the open diffs. That may change when the driving season opens back up though.

One thing to note from another thread is that when converting to open diff, the shims do not support the sun gear and pin (no keyed design), I saw some other people use the round LSD disk against the sun gear to add strength (it has a keyed design) to prevent the sun gear from shattering.

Last edited:
I agree with @SrC The exb diff parts are robust indeed. While I don't care for the lsd plates, the size and quality of the components are very good.
+1

This may help.

Many just go with the Arrma "Open shim kit" and remove the LSD action altogether. And use whatever oil CST that suits best.
It's your call.
I say open is best. And more importantly at the rear diff, if anything. Arrma's original early released EXB's incorporated the rear diff as an Open one. But it was a fail. The parts were all wrong. Diffs exploding new out the box. Now they offer the "Open shim kit" that works fine now. Arrma finally got it right.
Just that now all current EXB rigs come with all 3 diffs as LSD. Probably easier to produce at the factory. Keeping all as LSD's..
Some don't like the handling and steering that results with LSD all around. And at the rear, the diff seems way too locked, no matter which staging setup is used.
Many say with LSD's, they work better with thinner fluids that are closer to stock CST.
Hey, anyone else see the size of that diff this guy is holding?🙄 dang!!🤣🤣

+1

This may help.

It's your call.
This video from Arrma is good, probably watched it a half dozen times (so far).

I like this one a little better, the guy goes into much more detail…

@HZRDOS and @BashingBrian is who I copied to make my lsd diffs super strong 💪🏻💪🏻

@BashingBrian was the one who had the shim fix out there on the forum and before arrma even thought of it. Lol then @HZRDOS came up with the idea (or at least that’s who I saw it with first I think) to put the round plates in with the shims to support the sun gears. 👍🏻👍🏻

Grats on taking your first diff apart! I remember feeling super happy my first time too lol. As for open vs lsd I personally have not had any problems with my exb diffs and have felt no need to take the lsd plates out. As long as I can standing backflip when I want to I'm happy and it's been pretty gucci so far.

Grats on taking your first diff apart! I remember feeling super happy my first time too lol. As for open vs lsd I personally have not had any problems with my exb diffs and have felt no need to take the lsd plates out. As long as I can standing backflip when I want to I'm happy and it's been pretty gucci so far.
Thanks. Yeah, real happy on successful disassembly, even happier on successful reassembly.

+1 on LSD plates. I think they’re pretty cool and a mechanical marvel.

I agree with @SrC The exb diff parts are robust indeed. While I don't care for the lsd plates, the size and quality of the components are very good.

Hey, anyone else see the size of that diff this guy is holding?🙄 dang!!🤣🤣
That's the new EXB diff for our Scale Ford Mustang EV.:ROFLMAO:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back