Outcast Outcast 6s Leopard 4092/1730kv Ezrun Max8 - ESC-Heat and Wheelie problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DukeNukem

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Nero
  3. Outcast 6s
Hi guys,
I drive an outcast on 6s with the max8 ESC and a Leopard 4092 1730 kv motor (pinion 18T / spur gear 50T). Unfortunately the ESC (max8) gets hot quickly (after the half of the lipo) and cuts off.

1) Has anyone experience and drives the controller with the thermal protection setting "125℃/257°F". I know that "105℃/221°F" is recommended, but "125℃/257°F" is a possible setting, so the ESC should be able to handle it!?!?

2) The engine is extremely brute and the Outcast makes a wheelie fast on 6s. This can hardly be prevented and the front wheels are often ballooning (until the glue no longer holds...). The punch is already configured on the lowest level.

You guys have a tip for me? Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_4777.JPG
    IMG_4777.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 124
4092 is too big for max8 with demanding gearing.
If I put the pinion gear down, it'll take off faster in the front. Isn' it?

Or can I use a max6? But, the Leopard has a maximum of 140 amps. An mx6 would probably be too much.

Attachments

• 2019-11-11 14_12_04-LEOPARD HOBBY.png
    2019-11-11 14_12_04-LEOPARD HOBBY.png
    300.1 KB · Views: 63

Or can I use a max6? But, the Leopard has a maximum of 140 amps. An mx6 would probably be too much.

You have it kinda backwards. The motor determines how many amps it's going to pull. It's based on how the vehicle is geared and how much it weighs. The ESC just conveys power from the batteries to the motor, based on the Amp draw of the motor. The ESC itself doesn't determine the Amps flowing to the motor. A Max6 would definitely fix the problem, but that's because it can tolerate higher amp draw for longer times.

The best fix for this problem is to lower the teeth of the pinion gear on your motor. This will lower the amount of torque the motor needs to move the truck, thus lowering the current draw through the ESC. I'd try a 16T pinion and see how the temps are from there. If lowering the pinion gear makes the truck too slow for your taste, then you would need to look at a bigger, more capable ESC.

You have it kinda backwards. The motor determines how many amps it's going to pull. It's based on how the vehicle is geared and how much it weighs. The ESC just conveys power from the batteries to the motor, based on the Amp draw of the motor. The ESC itself doesn't determine the Amps flowing to the motor. A Max6 would definitely fix the problem, but that's because it can tolerate higher amp draw for longer times.

The best fix for this problem is to lower the teeth of the pinion gear on your motor. This will lower the amount of torque the motor needs to move the truck, thus lowering the current draw through the ESC. I'd try a 16T pinion and see how the temps are from there. If lowering the pinion gear makes the truck too slow for your taste, then you would need to look at a bigger, more capable ESC.
This

These motor amperage numbers tend to be under-rated. I can make that motor pull nearly 300 amps with speed-run gearing.

Thanks, I will try to lower down the amount of torque. He'll still be fast enough. But I'm concerned that the Wheely problem will get worse.
Has anyone experience and drives the ESC max8 with the thermal protection setting "125℃/257°F"?

If you get anywhere near 220 degrees with an esc it’s usually meltdown city. Anything above 180 is way too hot. I like mine to be below 160.

I had the opposite happen to me, the esc was cool but the motor was hot with the same gearing.

I had one of those motors in my Outcast and it hit 250* after 5 minutes.
Oh man. Talk about defective. From what I hear both leopard and hobbystar are hit or miss. What I do know is when you hit it’s great.

Oh man. Talk about defective. From what I hear both leopard and hobbystar are hit or miss. What I do know is when you hit it’s great.
I gave up and went with a Hobbywing 4985 and MM2 setup.

If you get anywhere near 220 degrees with an esc it’s usually meltdown city. Anything above 180 is way too hot. I like mine to be below 160.
I also believe that this thermal setting ("125℃/257°F") is not gentle for the ESC. However, the ESC should be able to withstand it, otherwise this setting would not exist. But I won't risk it either.

Has anyone already increased the cooler distance with spacers on a max8? I have seen that this trick is used in races to cool the ESC better.
I also believe that this thermal setting ("125℃/257°F") is not gentle for the ESC. However, the ESC should be able to withstand it, otherwise this setting would not exist. But I won't risk it either.

Has anyone already increased the cooler distance with spacers on a max8? I have seen that this trick is used in races to cool the ESC better.
I had the opposite happen to me, the esc was cool but the motor was hot with the same gearing.
Damn - I didn't have any problems with the motor heat yet. I have the feeling that the Leopard wouldn't get hotter even without the Yeah Racing cooler.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back