Outcast Outcast built to fly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bopzta

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
G'day fellas, a little bit about my build. Love launching the thing in the air, but I start to worry about its landing capabilities and weak points during touch down. Here's just afew things that I've done to help improve its performance.

Custom made bits: aluminium servo mount, aluminium shock pistons, aluminium rear skid plate, and industrial 90mm 12lb/in front, 100mm 10lb/in rears springs. (double spring rate of tekno orange)

Standard upgrades: 50k/300k/30k diff oils, 1200cst/1300cst shock oils, 20kg savox servo

Future upgrades: tbone bumper, rear mud flaps, and fab more aluminium shiny bits

Stay tuned for some more big air videos
Enjoy!

DSC_4862.JPG
DSC_4835.JPG
DSC_4867.JPG
DSC_4785.JPG
DSC_4834.JPG
DSC_4855.JPG
DSC_4864.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_4785.JPG
    DSC_4785.JPG
    220 KB · Views: 29
very nice! I like the shock pistons, and the shafts you have made. I am going to guess you made the springs?

Boptza, very nice! Please build more for the rest of us!

I'm going to bet you didn't make the springs. That's too specialized for a machine shop. Whare can we get them?

Thanks guys. Yep my bad. Cant make the springs. Ordered them from ASI springs, Victoria. Cant wait to throw them on for this weekend coming bash. Im guessing i may need to increase oil thickness due to the higher spring rate, but we'll see how things go.

Spring part no. C0975-088-3500 and C0975-088-4000
http://www.asisprings.com.au/cat_compression.aspx?offset=360

Thanks guys. Yep my bad. Cant make the springs. Ordered them from ASI springs, Victoria. Cant wait to throw them on for this weekend coming bash. Im guessing i may need to increase oil thickness due to the higher spring rate, but we'll see how things go.

Spring part no. C0975-088-3500 and C0975-088-4000
http://www.asisprings.com.au/cat_compression.aspx?offset=360

Yeah, I was going to say you're going to want to up the thickness of the shock oil considerably to match those springs. Maybe 70k or higher? I'd just be careful you don't snap your shock mounts with those springs.

The new springs have arrived and have been fitted. Least to say they look tough and feel great on the truck. Adjustment collars maxed up to the top and still provide very pronounced spring rate. Definitely we'll need an even thicker shock oil from the current 1300cst (Est. 120wt) but before I do any changes or adjustments ill go for a quick flight test. Fingers crossed those wimpy M4 shock bolts hold up. I am looking to beef the shock mount next. Depending on the results I may keep these springs on and possibly sell the teknos down the track.

DSC_4872.JPG
DSC_4873.JPG
DSC_4875.JPG

Yeh it's just sitting there and I can feel them bending already lol. To be honest the springs aren't that much stronger then the tekno oranges only double. But hey that could be enough to f things up.

Skate park with teknos 1200/1300 oils

Drop test with new springs and current shock oil set-up plus 6s graphene brick installed

I'll do another drop test video with the new thicker oil and perhaps the bend shafts aswell lol

Last edited:
You want your chassis to bottom out?

i like how this guys suspension is dialed in. he shows a drop test in the second half of the video.

You want your chassis to bottom out?

I've wondered this a few times myself. Everyone seems to be doing the drop test but I'm not sure what it's supposed to demonstrate. From a physics standpoint I can understand why it would be desirable for your chassis to smack the floor. If you come down with enough force you want that energy to be dissipated through the chassis to the ground, rather than being absorbed by the truck. The challenge is in determining how much force should be absorbed before it slaps the ground and how tune the truck to behave that way. I've got no clue there.

I've wondered this a few times myself. Everyone seems to be doing the drop test but I'm not sure what it's supposed to demonstrate. From a physics standpoint I can understand why it would be desirable for your chassis to smack the floor. If you come down with enough force you want that energy to be dissipated through the chassis to the ground, rather than being absorbed by the truck. The challenge is in determining how much force should be absorbed before it slaps the ground and how tune the truck to behave that way. I've got no clue there.
Generally, I will try to run my truck stiff enough until it bottoms out around 6ft or so while jumping. But I believe it is all general preference. Having the chassis absorb most of the forces i'm sure will save on broken parts... after all, the chassis is aluminum.

Appreciate all the feedback!
Well new approach on shocks/springs after walking away from the weekend bash with a slightly bend front shock shaft. So this time around Ive gone with increased oil weight 3000cst all round and decreased springs rate 6lb/in, 5ft drop test and close to bottoming out. Happy days. New add-ons with nitride coated shock shafts for added strength and sintered linear rod bushings for less shaft misalignment. In the process of opening the standard arrma shock to running 4mm rods instead of 3.5mm. Stay tuned

DSC_0020.JPG DSC_0025.JPG DSC_0021.JPG DSC_0027.JPG DSC_0028.JPG

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back