Outcast diff oil setup discussion !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winkdogg

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Just as the title suggests I'm looking to hear about diff oil weights for the Arrma Outcast . I'm currently running stock diffs all around and I'm okay with the performance but could use a little help . I'm not a newb I raced 1/8th nitro for years and know all about diff oil and performance . I'm going to tear down the truck in about 10 more batteries and I want to get the diffs right the first time , when I was younger I enjoyed tearing out diffs and playing with oil weights now I'm more interested in doing it ONCE lol .

My pros and cons about stock setup :

Pros :
  • Great for all around low to medium speed bashing
  • Decent power distribution on most surfaces
  • Tons of fun
Cons :
  • Front tire ballooning when pushing power through turns
  • Nose dives hard during braking
  • Wheelies way to easy but THATS ALSO A GOOD THING !?!
So please let me know what weights you use and what kind of driving you do ! Let me know about combinations you have tried and what you liked or disliked so I can get it right the first time!

ALSO LET ME KNOW THE BEST WAY TO BULLET PROOF THE DIFFS IF YOU HAVE FOUND THE RIGHT PARTS !

Thanks guys and gals , Winkdogg

@Winkdogg first let me say welcome to Arrma Forum!

We have a member here, @Thomas P, that did a great video on how to bulletproof your differential that's certainly worth watching.

As for weights, I like to recommend people getting various different weights and experiment as everyone's driving styles and conditions can differ so much. Plus diff oil is pretty cheap.

Awesome video and thanks for the reply's guys keep the thoughts flowing! I will get the diff parts this week at the shop!

@Winkdogg first let me say welcome to Arrma Forum!

We have a member here, @Thomas P, that did a great video on how to bulletproof your differential that's certainly worth watching.

As for weights, I like to recommend people getting various different weights and experiment as everyone's driving styles and conditions can differ so much. Plus diff oil is pretty cheap.

Agreed on the weights but I was just looking for preferred setups on different surfaces so I only need to pull it apart once in a while lol I do enough rebuilds for others at the shop I like to get mine right the first time so I can just run in my free times :)

what is a good diff fluid setup to reduce ballooning and consistent wheeling I currently have 30-100-10 I took recommendations from someone and it seems that I have been played for a fool.

that's exactly why I started this thread the answers wont be the same for all of us but I went with 10k rear 150k center and 50k up front and it slowed down the ballooning and blowing apart tires!
what is a good diff fluid setup to reduce ballooning and consistent wheeling I currently have 30-100-10 I took recommendations from someone and it seems that I have been played for a fool.

The ballooning and wheelies are inverse of each other. In other words, the less ballooning of the front tires means more wheelies. Imagine if the center diff was locked, you'd experience no ballooning but would be wheelieing around everywhere. I'd recommend choosing which one matters most (no wheelies or no ballooning) and go that route.

If a single front tire is ballooning due to being on throttle through a turn, then you'd want to increase in the front diff oil weight so that power to between the front tires is more equalized. This will result in poorer handling when off throttle, though.

Am I doing something wrong that I cannot find 150k wt diff oil? I can find 100k and 200k but I get zero results when looking for 150k.

60k front, 100k center, 20k rear. SRC Belted terrain crushers & 23/50 gearing no ballooning whatsoever!!

60k front, 100k center, 20k rear & SRC Belted terrain crushers 23/50 gearing no ballooning whatsoever!!

SRC Belted terrain crushers are great TIRES I have not blown a set off yet! I now am sanding my wheels and cleaning tires with carb cleaner before gluing but that's for a different thread ;) And lovin my 30 rear 100 center 70 front I think its my final bashing/speed run setup !!!

thank you

So I was wondering why people put hevy oils !!
Is not that put much load on the motor?
For bashing purposes thicker diff oils just work better. I found that my Outcast performed and handled a lot better, once I tuned my diffs and shocks, compared to stock. The center diff didn't blead all the power to the front wheels anymore so no pizza cutter front tires. And when landing jumps the landings were so much smoother.

No because the power is still making it to the ground, but now instead of all the power going into one front wheel it gets more evenly distributed between the wheels. The power will always take the path of least resistance to the ground and with the stock Diff setup that is going to be whichever front wheel is the furthest off the ground

The only way for it to strain the motor is if you put diff locker in the diffs and were trying to do doughnuts. But this would also put a lot of strain on the diffs.

Nice explanation you convinced me. (I'm new to the Diffs)

what oils wight did you used in Diifs and Shocks?
I'm going to try it.

Did you try to put stiffer springs?

For diffs I am currently running 60/100/7 front/center/rear. I am going to swap some 50 in the rear and see how it performs.
For my shocks I am running Tekno MT410 shocks in the front with Tekno orange springs TKR6093 and 60 wt Associated shock oil. The rear shocks are stock Arrma shocks with Tekno orange springs TKR6083 and 50wt shock oil. Shocks are perfect except I keep breaking shock pistons on the rear. Going to go for the Tekno MT410 shocks in the rear as well.

For diffs I am currently running 60/100/7 front/center/rear. I am going to swap some 50 in the rear and see how it performs.
For my shocks I am running Tekno MT410 shocks in the front with Tekno orange springs TKR6093 and 60 wt Associated shock oil. The rear shocks are stock Arrma shocks with Tekno orange springs TKR6083 and 50wt shock oil. Shocks are perfect except I keep breaking shock pistons on the rear. Going to go for the Tekno MT410 shocks in the rear as well.

Thank you so much. I think I'm going to try it soon.

Alright guys new to center diff fluids i usually just bash nitro ive got an outcast run it on 6s diff fluids all stock probably 12 packs in i noticed when i lift my front end off the ground and roll the truck with rear still on ground it just spins my front tires in reverse i believe that means its time to change the center diff fluid? I just bash so when i bought it new i bought 200k fluid for the center so it would wheelie well it did stock so i haven't changed it yet. Any info tips would help. Thanks

I think you may have bigger problems, when you roll it on the rear wheels the fronts should turn the same direction. If they are turning the opposite direction then somehow either your front or rear diff are in backwards. How you were able to run 12 packs through it like that is beyond me.

I think may have confused you lol. Anyways just need to know since its turning the fronts but not the motor like it usually does that ill need to re do the oil in the center diff?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back