Outcast ESC/Servo failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcbros

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hey all,

I’m new to the group and the RC world in general,

I’ve had an outcast for the last few months and absolutely love this machine

Only thing that I’ve been having a hard time with is my servo, i have now popped my 3rd servo.

The funny thing is that when this last one went on me, I actually had no throttle or steering and my ESC was flashing red.

Then, when I replaced my rx unit as part of my diagnostics I all of a sudden got my throttle back but no steering

Then I tried a new servo and it worked!!

So now I know it’s the servo for the 3rd time I just don’t know how I lost all functions and had a flashing ESC, and then when I swapped the rx unit and went back to my own rx unit i got throttle again and the red flashing ESC was fixed!!

Anyone’s thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Love the forum!

The servo may have shorted internally causing a brownout of the rx. The ESC ould not supply the current to the servo due to the short and the voltage dropped too low for the rx to work properly. Remove the short and it works again. Luckily the shorted servo didn't burn up the esc.

Hey all,

Only thing that I’ve been having a hard time with is my servo, i have now popped my 3rd servo.

The funny thing is that when this last one went on me, I actually had no throttle or steering and my ESC was flashing red.

Then, when I replaced my rx unit as part of my diagnostics I all of a sudden got my throttle back but no steering

So now I know it’s the servo for the 3rd time I just don’t know how I lost all functions and had a flashing ESC, and then when I swapped the rx unit and went back to my own rx unit i got throttle again and the red flashing ESC was fixed!!

Love the forum!

I would try a quality servo like the promodeler 470 or something equal and power it directly off of a small 2s battery. Turnigy 2s 950mah packs can be had for about $8. One rx battery is good for about 2 full runs on 5000mah batteries. Of course you would need to check on the rx pack to verify with your driving style. Could always put a cheap $5 alarm on it.

The servo may have shorted internally causing a brownout of the rx. The ESC ould not supply the current to the servo due to the short and the voltage dropped too low for the rx to work properly. Remove the short and it works again. Luckily the shorted servo didn't burn up the esc.
That makes a lot of sense, and I did get a burn smell from the ESC when it decided to give me a burst of full throttle on its own. Do you know what would cause the servo to just go without a sudden impact? This is my 3rd servo

That makes a lot of sense, and I did get a burn smell from the ESC when it decided to give me a burst of full throttle on its own. Do you know what would cause the servo to just go without a sudden impact? This is my 3rd servo
Mostly they are complete garbage. The problem is two fold. First the servo is way under sized and is going to run hot due to always being stalled out. Second, the Bec is undersized on the esc and caused both the esc and servo to get hot because the servo is always stalled and pulling Max amps.

Mostly they are complete garbage. The problem is two fold. First the servo is way under sized and is going to run hot due to always being stalled out. Second, the Bec is undersized on the esc and caused both the esc and servo to get hot because the servo is always stalled and pulling Max amps.
Thank alot for your help btw, What would be the best solution? New servo, strong servo bracket and also run a 2s battery for the servo?

That's what I would do. Turnigy sells a 950mah pack that is only $8. Just be sure to do some testing to verify runtime. There will be no low voltage cutoff. I will post up a link to chart that will tell you accurate charge status according to voltage. Just note that many El cheapo battery checkers can be off by more than .1v and that is a huge amount.

Attachments

• LiPo-Capacity-v-Voltage.png
    LiPo-Capacity-v-Voltage.png
    86 KB · Views: 43
Hey all,

Love the forum!

Also, just a heads up. The stock Rx can only handle 6.0v according to the manual. You will need a bypass adapter to allow the battery to power only the servo and the esc to power the receiver.

Also, please note that if your running the stock Rx you may need a rx bypass adapter to run the battery. I forgot I'm running my dx3r radio and the Rx can handle 9.6v. your tactic Rx says 6.0v. Not sure how well it will like the 7.4 from a 2s lipo.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back