Outcast Outcast/kraton rear driveshaft popping out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is simple your slipper clutch is too tight the slipper is not doing is job of protecting your drivetrain if you fix the driveshaft issue ita going to break something else you need a ton of stress to pop one of the U joins off we are not talking poopy traxxas driveshafts who snap in the pin hole we are talking about the hard rigid plaatic spreding out are you spraying your driveshafts with wd40? Something to consider no to do. I have ran with a tight slipper in my kraton 4s and they still did not poped out the holes are stretched but the driveshaft still works the clutch should be 1.25 turns from fully tight. If you able to do a standing backflip thats a big red flag.
Car is almost a year old still on the original shaftsView attachment 69957
If you have a 3D printer @Camaroboy383 has made a plastic reinforcement for the shafts in the U join of the 3-4s line ask him to send you the file.
Post it on the 3D printer thread too could be handy

How your shafts doing since?

Yeah my slipper is all the way as tight as it’ll go. Can get like 1.5 flips from a dead stop ? but I hear of ppl doin this an it working out just fine. My local hobby shop is who set the clutch all the way tightened. And No I don’t spray them with Wd40, you’re saying I should or I shouldn’t? Thanks for the tips btw. And just bc I don’t know, what does “CVD” stand for when referring to drive shafts?

Yeah my slipper is all the way as tight as it’ll go. Can get like 1.5 flips from a dead stop ? but I hear of ppl doin this an it working out just fine. My local hobby shop is who set the clutch all the way tightened. And No I don’t spray them with Wd40, you’re saying I should or I shouldn’t? Thanks for the tips btw. And just bc I don’t know, what does “CVD” stand for when referring to drive shafts?
No don't aply wd40 pn driveshafts its going to soften them and make them more likely to spread apart. Yeah i hate to say it but a clutch is not idiot proof a lot of people start blaming trucks for how bad they are but they just did not set the clutch right i was in the same boat and was pkaying with the clutch was a big mess but now i figured it out and since 2-3 months now i did not touched it anymore because i know what the ratio should be and knowing it will never get lloose by itself again. I personally encourage you to work on your own truck because if you do something to the truck you are sure to do it right if you know what is right. Its like your real car its better to change your oil yourself with good oil you know than going to a mecanic and you have no idea what crap filter and oil he is putting in even if you pay for the syntetic oil they ussualy have those massive white cans. I wotn trust personally a someone who works in a hobbyshop when it comes to mecanical stuff like diffs and a clutch they might not know what diff shiming is and how important it is for example
Yeah your clutch was like rock solid bassicly was putting 100% of the power in the rear and front this type of clutch works kinda like a diff it can slip on the rear and in the front seperatly when my clutch was loose back in the day the front tire would baloon and the car will have a crap acceleration
Imlove and hate my kraton at the same time? Its my first real basher rc(don't count the rustler 4x4 because never was able to do more than running on grass) im learning the hard ways but i hope not making the same mistakes again

Last edited:
It is simple your slipper clutch is too tight the slipper is not doing is job of protecting your drivetrain if you fix the driveshaft issue ita going to break something else you need a ton of stress to pop one of the U joins off we are not talking poopy traxxas driveshafts who snap in the pin hole we are talking about the hard rigid plaatic spreding out are you spraying your driveshafts with wd40? Something to consider no to do. I have ran with a tight slipper in my kraton 4s and they still did not poped out the holes are stretched but the driveshaft still works the clutch should be 1.25 turns from fully tight. If you able to do a standing backflip thats a big red flag.
Car is almost a year old still on the original shaftsView attachment 69957
If you have a 3D printer @Camaroboy383 has made a plastic reinforcement for the shafts in the U join of the 3-4s line ask him to send you the file.
Post it on the 3D printer thread too could be handy

How your shafts doing since?

My driveshaft surprisingly is still holding up, i popped it back in after that first time popping out and adjusted my slipper clutch 1.5 turns from fully tight (wanted to be a bit safe) and haven't happened it. I cant do standing backflips but I can backflip off most surfaces still. I then had the slipper clutch constantly loosening so I loctited it but now the slipper clutch snapped. :(

No don't aply wd40 pn driveshafts its going to soften them and make them more likely to spread apart. Yeah i hate to say it but a clutch is not idiot proof a lot of people start blaming trucks for how bad they are but they just did not set the clutch right i was in the same boat and was pkaying with the clutch was a big mess but now i figured it out and since 2-3 months now i did not touched it anymore because i know what the ratio should be and knowing it will never get lloose by itself again. I personally encourage you to work on your own truck because if you do something to the truck you are sure to do it right if you know what is right. Its like your real car its better to change your oil yourself with good oil you know than going to a mecanic and you have no idea what crap filter and oil he is putting in even if you pay for the syntetic oil they ussualy have those massive white cans. I wotn trust personally a someone who works in a hobbyshop when it comes to mecanical stuff like diffs and a clutch they might not know what diff shiming is and how important it is for example
Yeah your clutch was like rock solid bassicly was putting 100% of the power in the rear and front this type of clutch works kinda like a diff it can slip on the rear and in the front seperatly when my clutch was loose back in the day the front tire would baloon and the car will have a crap acceleration
Imlove and hate my kraton at the same time? Its my first real basher rc(don't count the rustler 4x4 because never was able to do more than running on grass) im learning the hard ways but i hope not making the same mistakes again

Seems like I got the slipper in the right spot now, but I ran the truck for about 10 min and it got loose again. Any solutions to keep it from getting loose like that just from driving it
My driveshaft surprisingly is still holding up, i popped it back in after that first time popping out and adjusted my slipper clutch 1.5 turns from fully tight (wanted to be a bit safe) and haven't happened it. I cant do standing backflips but I can backflip off most surfaces still. I then had the slipper clutch constantly loosening so I loctited it but now the slipper clutch snapped. :(

Seems that I have the slipper in the right spot but during my first run after adjusting the slipper it came loose again. So does anybody recommend Loctite on the slipper or no?

Yes take it apart clean every thing good put it back together. Set it up so the end of the screw is facing you drop a few drops of loctite on the screw end let it set for 24 hrs. The loctite will work it’s way down the threads. ???? Make sure you let cure for 24 hrs before you run it. If I missed anything @jondilly1974 will chime in

Yes take it apart clean every thing good put it back together. Set it up so the end of the screw is facing you drop a few drops of loctite on the screw end let it set for 24 hrs. The loctite will work it’s way down the threads. ???? Make sure you let cure for 24 hrs before you run it. If I missed anything @jondilly1974 will chime in
Thanks for saving me the typing. ??????

Yep that’s the ticket. I seriously haven’t had a single slipper come loose using this method. I’ve had probably ten come loose before figuring this out.

Is it difficult to take apart and put back together? Never messed with the diff’s or motor myself. I said my hobby shop took out the slipper and tightened it all the way bc the car had no power and apparently it was the slipper but I had no idea what was goin on or how to fix it. I was still new to this when I got this car, it’s my first. So it’s sad to say that I’ve been ready to pull my hair out with this thing and throw the hobby to the side all together if I can’t get this driceshaft stuff right. I’m at least gonna wait till the metal drive shafts are in stock. Haven’t messed with the diffs or slipper by taking it all apart yet.

Is it difficult to take apart and put back together? Never messed with the diff’s or motor myself. I said my hobby shop took out the slipper and tightened it all the way bc the car had no power and apparently it was the slipper but I had no idea what was goin on or how to fix it. I was still new to this when I got this car, it’s my first. So it’s sad to say that I’ve been ready to pull my hair out with this thing and throw the hobby to the side all together if I can’t get this driceshaft stuff right. I’m at least gonna wait till the metal drive shafts are in stock. Haven’t messed with the diffs or slipper by taking it all apart yet.
Its easy like a cake
The truck is made be dissasemble and put back togueter
I can mae a new slipper right now going to show the steps to fellow
But i don't have the screw to hold everything togueter unfortunatly

Attachments

• IMG_1690.jpg
    IMG_1690.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Its easy like a cake
The truck is made be dissasemble and put back togueter
I can mae a new slipper right now going to show the steps to fellow
But i don't have the screw to hold everything togueter unfortunatly

Ok well I think ima give it a go tonight. I bought an extra set of hardware that was taken out of a new 4s Kraton so If I’m missing something I should have a replacement for it

It's pretty simple. TBH, if this truck is too hard to work on, you are probably in the wrong hobby. I hope that doesn't come across wrong, but it is the brutal truth. You need to have the ability to inspect, disassemble, and reassemble your rigs. There are other skills that you should also have, like painting, drilling, and soldering to get you further in the hobby. The more you ask of your hobby store to do for you, the more reliant on them you will become. You are always best off learning these skills yourself.

Arrma kraton 4s. Anybody know how to get the slipper all the way apart? Was told by multiple ppl to loctite it bc id it keeps backing out which it is. I have the housing taken apart and got the little red piece, little black piece and bearing that goes on that side off but that’s as far as I can get. The rest doesn’t seem like it just pulls apart like the first few peices did. Thanks in advance
There is a 2mm hex screw behind the red spline.

The bolt that gets tightened
There is a 2mm hex screw behind the red spline.

Yeah i know how to tighten and loosen it but is it spose to come all the way out in order to take the slipper completely apart? Like is that same screw that tightens and loosens spose to come all the way out? Bc it’s bein a b*tch an not wanting to come out. It’s had blue Loctite on it once before that I didn’t put on there so I guess that’s why it’s not wanting to come out. I’m jus scared to put my impact on it to try and get it out to jus end up stripping it out an then Being completely screwed as far as getting it apart. The person who put loctite on it out it too far to the end and it didn’t stop it from backing out some. Should’ve put some a bit more up towards the screw head. Which is what I’m trying to do I jus need the thing to come apart. And earlier basically I was told I’m stupid if I can’t figure it out so, it is what it is. I know this screw is what’s keeping it together, but it’s not acting like it wants to come out all the way, which is why I’m on here making sure that’s why I need to do in order to get it all apart bc I don’t wanna make a mistake trying to take a screw out that isn’t meant to come out.

The bolt that gets tightened

Yeah i know how to tighten and loosen it but is it spose to come all the way out in order to take the slipper completely apart? Like is that same screw that tightens and loosens spose to come all the way out? Bc it’s bein a b*tch an not wanting to come out. It’s had blue Loctite on it once before that I didn’t put on there so I guess that’s why it’s not wanting to come out. I’m jus scared to put my impact on it to try and get it out to jus end up stripping it out an then Being completely screwed as far as getting it apart. The person who put loctite on it out it too far to the end and it didn’t stop it from backing out some. Should’ve put some a bit more up towards the screw head. Which is what I’m trying to do I jus need the thing to come apart. And earlier basically I was told I’m stupid if I can’t figure it out so, it is what it is. I know this screw is what’s keeping it together, but it’s not acting like it wants to come out all the way, which is why I’m on here making sure that’s why I need to do in order to get it all apart bc I don’t wanna make a mistake trying to take a screw out that isn’t meant to come out.
Go back and foward with the screw to break the locktite down the first time is a pain in the but its a hand jump don't try with a electric tool
Its going to come out don't worry i was there

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back