Outcast Outcast not bottoming out - reason?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster RC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I've just finished converting my Typhon into an Outcast. But the rig is not bottoming out so I'm in fear of destroying the Shocks (bending shafts in particular).

What could be the reason or is the Outcast not bottoming out?

I've just finished converting my Typhon into an Outcast. But the rig is not bottoming out so I'm in fear of destroying the Shocks (bending shafts in particular).

What could be the reason or is the Outcast not bottoming out?
Only thing I can think of is greater ground clearance due to the much taller tires. I know that if I push down on my Typhon and Senton they will bottom out front and back but my Kraton will not while it is on my work bench.

As I thought had first run today and cracked one of the shock internal plastic parts (the round plate in the shock)
I think a car MUST bottom out.

Is there an Outcast Owner how can confirm this please. And what could I do differently? I am using rpm arms and the shocks are attachted in the inner hole.

What screws? The ones that limit the outtravel of the shock? I have removed them entirerly.

Could it really be the tire size? I'm using Proline Trencher Series 40.
Height: 6.89" (175mm)

What height are the backflip tires? Are they much smaller?

I could imagine rubber rings (about 5mm thick) at the bottom of the shocks could dampen the Impact so not all of the force is on the shock internals. Or I could use shorter shock shafts perhaps.

Last edited:
No the ones that limit the movement of the a arm.
These little guys.
fPg8KlSl.jpg

Although now that I think about it, I don't think this would affect if you bottom or not. Because these being too low would bring the chassis closer to the ground.
And I do not think that .09" would affect if the vehicle bottomed out of not. Tower lists this for specs of the Backflips - Overall Diameter: 6.8" (172mm)

Last edited:
That's true 175 VS 172 mm cannot be a difference AND I'm using rpm skid plate so another 5 mm added over stock form.

I compared the a arms from arrma and rpm. There are two holes on the rpm and I attached the shock to the inner hole. Now I screwed them to the outer hole (like in the stock arm). And tada! it seems to bottom out now. Its a very close one, so in the most compressed position where the chassis touches the ground there is no more movement possible in the shocks. But it is definitly better then before!

If I remember right, the 40 series is the narrow, tall and no offset. They are my favorite looking wheel and tire but they are to tall. They don't let arrma outcast/kraton bottom out. This causes big problems by over extending many components. I was fortunate that mine was bought through amazon prime and I sent them back.

Yes, both my outcast and kraton bottom out. There is a thread about cheap wheel and tire options. The cheap tires were to tall and I posted some of the damage it caused my car because they didn't bottom out.

Just a thought if you are stuck with wheels and tires. Maybe try skid plats or bumpers or wheelie bars to lower clearance. Not sure if this is applicable. Gl.

No the ones that limit the movement of the a arm.
These little guys.
View attachment 11822
Although now that I think about it, I don't think this would affect if you bottom or not. Because these being too low would bring the chassis closer to the ground.
And I do not think that .09" would affect if the vehicle bottomed out of not. Tower lists this for specs of the Backflips - Overall Diameter: 6.8" (172mm)
That screw does nothing for bottoming out. When the car moves down those screws move away from chassis.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back