Outcast pinion issues, help please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Necroscope

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hi guys,

Third run on my outcast today and it's first on 6s.

Was very happy until the pinion gear grub screw came loose and the gear slid towards the end of the motor shaft.

I assume the motor shaft flat does not extend all the way to the end, to stop the gear flying off in such situations?

What has happened though whilst the grub screw was coming out, is that it's sheared it off and the excess material has entered the hex, meaning I can get an hex key in to remove it.

Any suggestions please guys?

Cheers,

Phil.

Sounds like maybe dremmel with cutting disc may be necessary. Add pics to help us see your situation easier if possible.

Justin

Thanks for your help. Photo as requested:

Do you think this is my problem to fix on such a new truck?

If the pinion grub was loose enough to start you may be able to pry off the pinion with some leverage. Hopefully no damage to the spur by hitting the grub screw. Should try and go over rtr’s before running.

If prying off doesn’t work you may need to use dremmel.

Hi Guys,

CML distributions have shipped me a new pinion FOC, given i was only on my third run.

So i drilled the head of the grub screw and managed to get a hex key in. The reason it came loose was there was no thread lock at all....

However the new pinion isn't an Arrma one, doesn't include a grub screw but more worryingly the new pinion whilst longer in length, the actual gear isnt as wide as the Arrma one.

I requested a new crown gear and was told no.

What would you guys do and what do you think is fair?

The reason it came loose was there was no thread lock at all....
This is EXACTLY the reason why @joostin420, myself and many others highly recommend going over any Ready-To-Run RC before you take them out for their first run.

This not only gets you more familiar with the RC but also ensures everything is done right and to your liking.

I appreciate what your saying, lets just assume i joined the forum after the problems started ;-)

What are your thoughts on my situation though?

I think you will have to consider this a lesson learned to fully go over the RTR products and learn before running. Being in the hobby for 30 years I have never contacted a manufacturer for a warranty item until just this past thanksgiving for my team Redcat tr-mt8e be6s.

First run and the wing and supports broke off. The plastic is so brittle at that location and stock wing has no flex (looks awesome though). They replaced the items quickly.

I can remember how many times I rebuilt and replaced rear the rear diff in my tamiya Blackfoot and monster beetle growing up :D Warranties were really unheard of until recently due to the nature of the products.

Last edited:
OK, so would you use this random pinion they have sent me, upgrade it or buy an Arrma one?

I like the hardened Robinson racing pinions or any hardened for that matter ;)

I've just been looking at those very ones, based upon another thread. If i post some photos of the spur gear later, can you give me your opinions on those before i go any further please?

Morning guys, the crown wheel is fine.

I will get a Robinson pinion and put this unfortunate episode behind me.

Now where are this RTR instructions..... ;-)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back