Outcast OUTCAST Q&A

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah i think i might need those tbone bumpers again

What goes in here?
20161213_080728.jpg

Seems ridiculous to be able to pop wheelies on a low traction surface like beach sand. Or dry hump another R/C car LOL.

What setup are you running on the beach there? 4S/6S, 12T/16T?

I wonder how it'd do with sand paddle tires.

100% bone stock out of the box hahaha im using smc 4s 6700mah 120c

Im going to play derby with one of my rc next time which one of them hmmm i think a traxxas will do hahahaha

Good info.

Btw, with that battery, if you want to charge faster, this is what math you need.

Capacity of battery- 6700mAh = 6.7Ah

To charge within 1 hour you need 6.7A charge rate
(assuming empty to full, though for the sake of safety your lipo's are never fully discharged by your R/C's ESC)

Power = Voltage x Current
Power = 4S (3.7V x 4 = 14.8V) x 6.7 = 99.2W

So you need to look for approximately a 100W charger. If you want to charge even faster than an hour, or a 6S pack, you need
an even more powerful charger.

I wish someone told me how to do the math, rather than me buying a basic charger, then having to buy another one again because it charges my big batteries too slowly.

The poor man pays twice...

Good info.

Btw, with that battery, if you want to charge faster, this is what math you need.

Capacity of battery- 6700mAh = 6.7Ah

To charge within 1 hour you need 6.7A charge rate
(assuming empty to full, though for the sake of safety your LiPo's are never fully discharged by your R/C's ESC)

Power = Voltage x Current
Power = 4S (3.7V x 4 = 14.8V) x 6.7 = 99.2W

So you need to look for approximately a 100W charger. If you want to charge even faster than an hour, or a 6S pack, you need
an even more powerful charger.

I wish someone told me how to do the math, rather than me buying a basic charger, then having to buy another one again because it charges my big batteries too slowly.

The poor man pays twice...
I'm not 100 percent sure but I believe that you would need to take 4 x 4.2 to get a voltage of 16.8v as a lipo cell has a maximum amperage of 4.2 volts per cell. So it would be 4 x 4.2 x 6.7 = 112.56 watts.

Lol im lost
Im new at this lipo battery thing
I just balance charged it everytime i charged
I have a question tho
1st cell is only 4.19 while the rest is 4.20
Why is that?

I'm not 100 percent sure but I believe that you would need to take 4 x 4.2 to get a voltage of 16.8v as a LiPo cell has a maximum amperage of 4.2 volts per cell. So it would be 4 x 4.2 x 6.7 = 112.56 watts.

You are absolutely right, as the peak voltage of a lipo cell is 4.2V.
That voltage can be used in the calculation instead.

I have intentionally not used that voltage, as a fudge factor.

...The R/C's ESC protects our lipo batteries from being fully discharged to completely flat. At about 10% capacity the lipo voltage drops very sharply, which is what the ESC detects and cut off the power, forcing you to charge up again.
So 90% of a 6.7Ah pack = 0.9 x 6.7 = 6Ah
4 x 4.2 x 6 = 101W

If you're still following-
ARMAgeddon- how long is it taking you to charge that battery with your Hitec X1 Touch (?55W rated outputs)
If you want to half your charge time, you need to get a charger with approximately double the power output (in watts)

PS.
Balance just means it's trying it's best to charge all the cells to the same voltage.
4.19 vs 4.20? Man, that's balanced. If you didn't charge with a balance lead- it wouldn't get that close.

As i have read somewhere you should always balanced charged
Safety first
So any charger out there that is faster to charged my battery using balanced charged?

AG: You could look at higher powered models from the brand you've already purchased. eg. Hitec X2 AC plus. It'd shorten your charge time by almost a half. Can you live with that?

There's also another thread here on ARRMA Forums about models other people have purchased.

Or go to your LHS and ask "tell me what charger to buy"

I have about 25 minutes
I don't drain it to much ill leave some
I don't know if this thing was set to lipo cut off lol
About an hour and half to recharged

Read The Eff'en Manual... LOL

Balance charge vs "regular" charge vs fast charge -

Most chargers start off in "constant current" - that is, they push 6A, or what ever you set them at till the battery is about 80% Full, then it switchs to "Constant voltage" mode - it sets the voltage to just above fully charged and holds it with whatever amps it takes (normally the amps taper off here). In Fast charge, the charger does not switch, it just stops at the switch. In the "Normal" mode, it changes to CV till the cells are all at 4.2, + or - a few hundredths. Balance mode will switch to a third mode, and charge/drain each cell till they all rest at 4.20 (or whatever you set the charger to).

Advantage to Fast and Normal is time. That Balance step can take a while, sometimes - I've had packs sit with all cells around 4.19-4.21 for 10-15 minutes, as the charger slowly tries to balance. It kind of wrecks the plan of charging at 10-15 amps for a 20 minute charge when that last 1-2% takes 15 minutes. :)

If you batteries are in good shape, then you can fast charge them every now and again without issue. Same with the "normal" charge. Balance is needed only sometimes, or if you have a cell that is going bad and needs extra help to get full.

Also worth noting - if you storage charge your packs, they get balanced to storage. So I will charge them "Normal" to save time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back