Outcast Outcast runaway!! Found possible problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adawg

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 4s
So instead of continuing to hijack the other thread I wanted to start one and bring awareness to the issue. So first I’ve been doing rc for 25 years. Not a noob. This is my first Arrma and was very excited. I’ve had it for a little over a weak but haven’t even run one full pack.

Im running dual 2s packs. Brand new. I’ve tried two different brands just to rule that out. So every 1-1.5 minutes the car will apparently loose reception for a split second and was just continuing whatever it was doing when it lost transmission. Super dangerous. I ended up crashing into things and my own foot etc. This forum has great info so this was the steps I took

First I changed battery’s on transmitter and also the car. Nothing changed. I reset esc. Nothing changed. I changed punch and brake settings just to see if it would change anything and it made no difference. I then tried making sure fault is just stop moving and also rebound the transmitter. After re binding it I found that it would stop now when loosing the signal. That’s when I realized how much it was actually loosing the signal. Unfortunately today I tired it again and when it lost signal it took off again and I had to stick my foot out and run into it so it didn’t go out into the street!! To me this is the most dangerous thing that can be wrong with a rc.

Next was to look at wiring. All plugs we installed correctly, nothing loose. No wires are rubbed together making a hole or anything. THEN I FOUND IT POSSIBLY! When I opened the receiver box the antenna wire was pinched and I could see the antenna wire through the insulation in two spots. So kinda weird because it’s intact but either way it’s a problem from the factory and needs to be taken care of.

Who and how do I contact for support. Horizon? Here is a picture of the wire as soon as I opened the receiver box. Thanks for listening and I hope this helps someone else. Is Arrma gonna be a pita to deal with. It’s clearly an assembly issue. Picture doesn’t do it justice. It looks very small but in person it’s clearly damaged in two spots.
2C247C6D-9D57-4CEE-9B24-D8470648962B.jpeg
EA9F0244-EAA9-4EEE-8610-FF1FE90C7B39.jpeg

that indeed doesn't look good - one reason I check over the electronics and screws with a new purchase just to be sure as you cant hand over liability to a manufacturer if something goes wrong - I had replaced the receiver anyway but mine wasnt kinked on the Notorious

Am not gonna continue beating on a dead horse, but known you had some type of glitch issue, the next logical thing is a range check.

Coming from rc airplanes and 1/5th scale, its a habit that has carried over to all my rc.

Have someone hold the truck for you or have it without tires/wheels on the ground, and do the standard 360 range check, usually 90 feet, but I go as far as 150 if possible.

Hey, but am glad truck is in good shape and you have provided pics for others to be cautious about it. I would call them and send them the pics, may or may not get a new rx, does not hurt to ask, and more so if on warranty.

I get it to go over all the parts and check, but the company advertises it as plug and go, and letd be realistic, how many parents are going to do that for their kids Xmas presents etc. Still, they assembled it and in all reality nothing happened to the truck, but the antenna is bad and someone needs to provide a replacement and is not the buyer. Its as if he just opened the RTR and discover it before running it. He is not asking for damages to the truck as none exist, but for a new rx.

Yes exactly. We all know these are mass assembled and you are not buying a 100k new actual car but if there any reason a 400$ rtr rc car should not be able to be driven when you buy it. This car is not drivable the way it is because you cannot control it. If it happened once every few packs it would still need to be fixed but not as urgent. It happens probably 20-30 times if you drive it 30 minutes.
Also this happens at any range. I’ve been driving in the grass in front of my house and I’ve never been farther then 40 feet. Most of these happen with in 20 feet and some have happened 10 feet away directly in front of me. Not a range thing.
Ive bought 5 rtr cars from a Traxxas bandit to a wltoys to even cheaper and ive been able to drive them all out of the box. They might not be great depending on which one but they work correctly. It sucks not being able to drive the car with my son on our long Christmas weekend.
I’d also like to point out that most people that are not very into rc cars will not disassemble it and check stuff. They spend the money and buy a rtr so their kid can enjoy it. The fact that it was sealed up in the rx box is why most people won’t notice something like that for a while.

That crimped wire could be the cuprit but Id still make sure that failsafe is set for safety reasons even when your truck is running correct. You are right, you should be able to run this out of the box but sometimes you get what my dad would call a Monday or Friday car (if theres OT maybe a Saturday car). Also change out that radio if you have a spare. Its really a stinker and unfortunate that Arrma (Horizon) started putting them with their kits.

Thank you both. I ordered a flysky radio and it will be here Saturday. I would still like to get the receiver replaced since it’s brand new and should be useable. I’m going to triple check the failsafe tomorrow. At least 10 times I’ve turned off my remote with the wheels off and the car just stayed as is. No acceleration . It was my understanding that it’s the only way to check the fail safe. If it’s not set it should go full throttle until the remote is turned back on. I’m gonna give horizon a call. It’s something they should be aware of. I’ve seen other posts that are the same or similar so maybe this is a issue with the newer radio?? Thanks again for the info.

Thank you both. I ordered a flysky radio and it will be here Saturday. I would still like to get the receiver replaced since it’s brand new and should be useable. I’m going to triple check the failsafe tomorrow. At least 10 times I’ve turned off my remote with the wheels off and the car just stayed as is. No acceleration . It was my understanding that it’s the only way to check the fail safe. If it’s not set it should go full throttle until the remote is turned back on. I’m gonna give horizon a call. It’s something they should be aware of. I’ve seen other posts that are the same or similar so maybe this is a issue with the newer radio?? Thanks again for the info.
Does the Flysky come with a receiver? You are going to need one in order to use it.

Yes it does. So I originally ordered the dumborc set because it got high reviews for cheap price. It’s not coming for weeks though because I used bangood. I ended up ordering the flysky setup so I can get it and drive it. I’ll report and let you guys know if this fixes the problem.

Ok so here’s the update.

Got my flysky radio from amazon today. Now I know why the reception was so bad. Looking at the pictures you can see it’s pinched but looks intact. Well when I was removing the receiver, as soon as I picked it up to pull the antenna through the hole the cable just broke in half. It was only connected by a couple strands. So after replacing the radio and receiver there is NO problems. Runs like a dream. Also it’s faster and way more responsive. I expected it to be more responsive but not faster. I can’t explain in other then something with the signal was not right. I’m very happy the problem is gone.

LAST UPDATE

so I give them credit. I emailed horizon with what happened, pictures, and that when I swapped out the receiver it fixed it. It took about 3 weeks from sending the email until the process was completed.

It took a week for a response. They asked again for the story, pictures, receipts of buying the truck and model number. I emailed that info back. About a week and a half later they emailed me a tracking number for a new radio and receiver. They 2 day shipped me a brand new stx3. I’m totally happy and I’m happy that I feel I can trust them to fix what’s wrong. I will say that if you are itching to drive the car it will take a bit to get the warranty claim situated but it did get fixed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back