Outcast Outcast shock oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

Bash Break Repeat!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Outcast 6s
Looking at the manual for the outcast, it's using 1000cst oil in the shocks. That would be 80wt associated from what I can find. That seems thick for shocks to me. I'd like to go with thicker oil, but associated doesn't seem to list over 80wt/1000cst, so not sure what to go with. I know pretty much every brand of RC oil varies based on wt and even cst. I have a drawer full of oil and don't want to venture off and end up with 10 more bottles of stuff I don't use. Figured I'd check and see what others are running that's a bit heavier than stock.

I checked arrma's site and can't even find oil, shock oil, diff oil listed when searching. The manual doesn't specify a particular brand or part number for oils either. Seems odd to me.

Looking at the manual for the outcast, it's using 1000cst oil in the shocks. That would be 80wt associated from what I can find. That seems thick for shocks to me. I'd like to go with thicker oil, but associated doesn't seem to list over 80wt/1000cst, so not sure what to go with. I know pretty much every brand of RC oil varies based on wt and even cst. I have a drawer full of oil and don't want to venture off and end up with 10 more bottles of stuff I don't use. Figured I'd check and see what others are running that's a bit heavier than stock.

I checked arrma's site and can't even find oil, shock oil, diff oil listed when searching. The manual doesn't specify a particular brand or part number for oils either. Seems odd to me.

I asked that same question back in April and there's been 190 people that viewed that thread and there's still zero replies. Haha If you have a drawer full of different oils you might just have to start testing them and then report back in for us.

Most of them are 60 on down, Losi, Trinity, Traxxas, Associated. I only have 1/4 of a bottle of associated 80 which is also labeled as 1000cst. So, I can't even try that and it appears associated tops out at 80wt before going to diff oil weights. So, a gap from 1000 to 2000... guessing that's a tad thick for shocks. lol!

Which is why 1000cst also seems very thick for shock oil, so I'm not sure if that's a misprint or just a weight that's wrong. Especially considering oils like Hudy have small increments up to 1000cst, then they jump to 2000,3000,5000+. Nothing in between. I don't have enough of anything above 60wt to try on more than 2 shocks as the shocks are way bigger than what I'm used to running.

On my savage flux with big bore shocks, I run losi 40wt (which I think is around 500cst/associated 37.5wt). Tried 50wt, but broke shock ends. I run 60-80 associated on my revo's. All I can assume is the holes in the arrma pistons are really big, or there are a lot of them, or again, it's a misprint.

Just ordered a bottle of associated 80wt (1000cst) and 2000cst. Figure if I take 3/4 a bottle of 1000cst and add 1/4 2000 then mix it, I'll at least be thicker than "stock" oil. I hate futzing with shocks.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back