Outcast Slower with bigger 5687 motor than stock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelatocat

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
Hi fellas,

I have been running an Outcast 8s with 25t pinion/47spur with stock Spektrum 1250kv motor for a year and it screams (Zee 60c 4s packs). With Duratrax belted Bandito road tires, it has great speed and torque. In pursuit of more performance, I swapped the motor out for a Spektrum 5687, and replaced the pinion with a 34t for tarmac speed runs. I gather the Spektrum motor is a re-branded Hobbywing 5687. Now, the car has no torque, no speed (seems sluggish) and car stops dead when I brake--no resolution. It seems like it goes into reverse immediately. I made no changes to ESC or stock transmitter. Im stumped.

Did I simply use too big a pinion for that motor? Any help would be most appreciated. By the way, I also have an Infraction and now I'm building up an 8s Limitless.

Best,
Jonathan

IMG_3014.jpg

Hi fellas,

I have been running an Outcast 8s with 25t pinion/47spur with stock Spektrum 1250kv motor for a year and it screams (Zee 60c 4s packs). With Duratrax belted Bandito road tires, it has great speed and torque. In pursuit of more performance, I swapped the motor out for a Spektrum 5687, and replaced the pinion with a 34t for tarmac speed runs. I gather the Spektrum motor is a re-branded Hobbywing 5687. Now, the car has no torque, no speed (seems sluggish) and car stops dead when I brake--no resolution. It seems like it goes into reverse immediately. I made no changes to ESC or stock transmitter. Im stumped.

Did I simply use too big a pinion for that motor? Any help would be most appreciated. By the way, I also have an Infraction and now I'm building up an 8s Limitless.

Best,
Jonathan

View attachment 213733
Sounds like your throttle is reversed.

Try reversing the throttle from the transmitter end and swapping any two motor wires.

Sounds like your throttle is reversed.

Try reversing the throttle from the transmitter end and swapping any two motor wires.
I didn't know that. When I started the car, it went backwards! I just hit the reverse switch on the transmitter. Is it running in "reverse" mode rather than "forward mode" Hmm!

Oh, and thanks for the quick reply!!!

I didn't know that. When I started the car, it went backwards! I just hit the reverse switch on the transmitter. Is it running in "reverse" mode rather than "forward mode" Hmm!
Had the same thing happening to me on a 6s car after I
rebuilt it.
Just flip that switch on the remote to stock position and swap two motor wires.

Might as well do a throttle calibration and make those batterys Ic5/ec5.

Thanks Rob. You don't happen to have an on-road Arrma? I'm building up a Limitless. I need a servo, and I'm debating between Savox and MKS. Want to ensure its compatible with my Futaba 4pl FHSS/R304sb receiver. I know Savox works. Do all these servo brands have the same connector/wiring? Like the MKS X5 HBL550. Looks like a beast! Thanks again!

Thanks Rob. You don't happen to have an on-road Arrma? I'm building up a Limitless. I need a servo, and I'm debating between Savox and MKS. Want to ensure its compatible with my Futaba 4pl FHSS/R304sb receiver. I know Savox works. Do all these servo brands have the same connector/wiring? Like the MKS X5 HBL550. Looks like a beast! Thanks again!
Most servo should work with that receiver (Except Traxxas servo ). Don't need the best servo for a on road car like the limitless.

mks x5 will fit
it is standart size

strong and good servo
you need 30kg or more with 8s
Servo like that can handle crashes in high speed without problems mostly

This is the specs of X5 servo mks
  • Dead Band:0.0001 ms (Default)
  • Working frequence:1520µs / 333hz
  • Operating Voltage:6.0 ~ 8.4 V DC Volts (2S Lipo un-regulated)
  • Operating Speed (6.0V):0.118 s
  • Operating Speed (7,4V):0.094 s
  • Operating Speed (8.4V):0.085 s
  • Stall Torque (6.0V):29 kg.cm
  • Stall Torque (7,4V):29 kg.cm
  • Stall Torque (8.4V):38 kg.cm
  • Stall Current at locked load (6,0V):9,0A
  • Stall Current at locked load (7,4V):11,0A
  • Stall Current at locked load (8,2V):12,0A
  • Motor Type:Brushless Motor
  • Bearing Type:2BB
  • Gear Type:Metal Alloy Gear
  • Case:All Aluminium
  • Dimensions:40x20x38,8 mm
  • Weight:79,5 g
40mm is standart size like the Limitless have.

I run 45kg servos in my Limitlesses 8s

stock servos 20kg or less breaks easy in 50mph crash

Last time i crash in about 100mph and no servo issues, because super power strong servo.
I need only change shock shaft, and one a arm, servo is like new still, if i had stock, i have break it 100%

The outcast stock system will be nice in your limitless

buy one max5 esc to that big can motor , and always do throttle recalibrate if you change motor or esc.
Also buy one programmer box HW, easy set up things, also for the spectrum buy also spectrum programmer box.
Makes life alot easier.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Thanks to both of you. Rob, switching the wires on the motor worked!! Now the 34/47 gearing makes the Outcast 8s scream!! I don't have a GPS yet, but damn. Could be close to 60 mph at this point. My temp gun said 109 degrees on the motor, but that was only 7-8 passes on the street.

And rccarforlife, thanks for the tips. I'll get the MKS. As for the Limitless power system, I have a Castle XLX 8s (the smaller one) and a 1717-1650kv! Assuming that is one of the ideal setups for the car. Have a 30t pinion on order. I am not a beginner RC driver. I'm an old guy who started with Tamiya RC cars in 1983! Raced pan cars on ovals back in the 1990s, when we were all concerned with black magic brushes and oils for our brushed motors. Think Associated RC10Lss "left turn only" pan cars! I have old Tamiya 10th scales, a classic RC10 gold pan in the box, touring cars, Axial crawlers and Yeti XL's, some Durango SCTs (ARRMA's original company?).

Now I'm an ARRMA fan. Have the Outcast, an Infraction 6s stock that has never been run, and recently the Limitless when they were on sale for $299.

Anyway, thanks to both of you.

Jonathan

IMG_3015.jpg

Now, I got to install this! Should handle the rough stuff! Just Bash It makes a nice chassis. Decided to try something different since the M2C is so popular. JC

Attachments

• IMG_3016.jpg
    IMG_3016.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Hello Jonathan.

Glad to hear you solved that Motor thing with the Outcast 8s.

So you are old racer ? Nice. Then you must know all the basics :)
Maybe couple speed secrets also ? Just sing it out, don't be shy here , the more we learn the more fun we all can have in this hobby right ? :)

Your Limitless was a steal, 299 is really nothing for one new Limitless. Pure steal.
This rig is my Favorite . I have 3 of them.

That Castle combo is insane, 1650kv with 8s is crazy :)
You don't need XLX2 ESC at all,. only thing i can recommend is 8s Cap Pack. Like ripple killer.
This is not needed in XLX2, but in the version you have, it can be good to have if you drive like maniac.

I want to share a great info video link how to set up your Limitless like a pro, shock adjustment, and everything from a Limitless pro.
Raz, He have right now the world speed record with Arrma Limitless.

Watch his videos about Limitless , very good info. 6 episodes.
Here is no1

Welcome to be a Arrma fan, and don't just Bash. Blast. !!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back