Outcast Outcast squeaks on brake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobyjoe

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I got my outcast and waited to give it a spin until I could replace the bearings, swap the wing mounts, shim the diffs, update my fluids, and put stronger springs on it.

It's been driven for one pack and two things are weird: steering and a squeal sound when i change directions (f/b/r)

For the steering, I had 100/200/10 in my diffs and the car would only turn under some significant power.

I've lowered the front to 20k and it's still not really turning very well unless I gun it and steer at the same time.

Perhaps it's the dual-rate steering? I don't understand how it works. I do have a Futaba 4PLS to set up for it next week but for now, it is so strange that steering is super responsive when gunned and nearly dead when merely driven. It's too drastic for 20k!

On the squeal - it sounds like metal on metal - a bit like normal driving, but like a more abrupt sound. I'm wondering if I missed lubing something or if it is just a "break-in" issue. Or something else?

I got my outcast and waited to give it a spin until I could replace the bearings, swap the wing mounts, shim the diffs, update my fluids, and put stronger springs on it.

It's been driven for one pack and two things are weird: steering and a squeal sound when i change directions (f/b/r)

For the steering, I had 100/200/10 in my diffs and the car would only turn under some significant power.

I've lowered the front to 20k and it's still not really turning very well unless I gun it and steer at the same time.

Perhaps it's the dual-rate steering? I don't understand how it works. I do have a Futaba 4PLS to set up for it next week but for now, it is so strange that steering is super responsive when gunned and nearly dead when merely driven. It's too drastic for 20k!

On the squeal - it sounds like metal on metal - a bit like normal driving, but like a more abrupt sound. I'm wondering if I missed lubing something or if it is just a "break-in" issue. Or something else?
Sounds can be tricky. I'd start by checking your gear mesh. These rigs are noisy due to metal dog bones clanging, sometimes can take time to ascertain normal from weird. Not sure on the steering issue. I generally put my ear very close with wheels in the air, still tricky to pinpoint sources sometimes. I'd do a rough bearing check, check for shaft clearances through full range of motion, and check for foreign crap...ie bark, twigs, small rocks. Recently found a rock had jambed under and ground down my center diff cup a bit. It sounded like a gear problem, left me laughing cuz I pulled center diff but rock had relocated elsewhere. PS sway bars and arm/shock pins will squeak on you, WD40.

Ok. Got it sorted. For those who care, the squeak sound is actually some sort of chirp from the ESC, if I had to guess. Like a beep, but a chirp instead. Or is it a tweet? But I digress...

And the steering was settled as soon as I did a factory reset on the Rx and pulled a little of the 20k diff oil out.

Now I need to figure out why I can't get the thing to auto-upright itself after I flip it over!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back