Outcast Outcast upgrade Journey. Mamba XLX 2, 800kv motor (now 1100kv) , 39/39 (now 30/47) gearing and a few more bits.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armarookie43

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Mojave EXB
  6. Outcast 8s
  7. Typhon 6s
I'm ready to do this. Upgrades :
XLX2 with 800kv motor combo, Arrma limitless 39T spool as spur, 35/39t saga customs pinion, PPS motor mount, M2C esc plate for max 5 (fits the XLX2), and M2C pivot ball retainers. 2 channel reciever controlled by the green DX5 rugged.

20201106_124940.jpg

20201106_132437.jpg

Very nice! I just ordered the same combo with 2 39t limitless spools for my k8s. Pps slider slso
Someone did 102 mph with a K8S and this ESC. They did some trickery with batteries though and used some special tires and other stuff, but that's still very impressive for a 30+ pound truggie. I'm not sure what motor the used though. It was innovation RC I believe. I'm not looking for insane speed. I'm just looking for more torque for my Outcast 8s than the stock system ?

OK I'm done. A few notes : I couldn't put the rear bolts on the ESC plate because the xlx2 is wider than the max 5 in the rear. I put double sided tape underneath with the front bolts tight. I screwed up when installing the ESC and plugged in the ESC in reverse where the throttle channel is (I think that messed up the receiver). Dammit. And before I could finish setting up I changed some settings through the Bluetooth link (without knowing), like no reverse and no lipo cut off!. That was throwing me off when I was trying to bind the damn thing. I just want to admit to those mistakes! There's a lot of wiring to put back into that small Arrma reciever box, so I had to be very careful about putting the cover. Also the I also made the mistake to try to bind while the vehicle had tires on and it took off on me at least 3 times. So DON'T DO THAT! I feel ashamed about saying some of this stuff, but take it like a lesson. Luckily I only messed up my work light during those full throttle take offs. I also had to figure out how to connect the sensor wire to the ESC because there are no instructions on how to do it exactly and you can actually mess up the little pins on the ESC if you force it in. So today I'll try it out (just some runs at work on the parking lot) and I'll report back. I earned my name today. I admit that I was in a hurry to get it done, so don't do that. Take your time. I'm not a total rookie, but I made a few mistakes this time ?.

20201108_142722.jpg

I just tested it out. It ran fine but ironically I'm having cogging issues when taking off and I have the 3 beep warning, meaning I didn't connect the sensor correctly to the ESC. I don't see any pins bent so I'm not sure what the problem is. Also with this 39/39 gearing I feel that there's lots of high end but not much low end? It wheelies, but I don't feel it's explosive like the 25/35 gearing and Max 5 with the 1100kv motor on my xmaxx trucks. But it's not set up correctly right now. Maybe the sensored part is what is messing with the power at the beginning? I have punch at 100%.I try to recalibrate the ESC to the throttle end points and try to figure out the sensor wire. Can someone take a picture of their connector on the ESC please? Thanks!

Update. Since this was an open box purchase, I'm missing the correct connector that goes straight into the ESC. I just watched a video, so I'm trying to connect the sensor wire directly to the ESC, which will never work! OK I'm going to call Amain and complain about that because they didn't specify that was missing. I was also missing the 8 guage wire that is used for a jumper when you solder. Damn.

Update. I think now I know why I wasn't too impressed with the initial run. My pinion was completely loose! I still don't know how it didn't just fall off into the darkness and I could still apply brakes ??

Really? I'll have to do that then. And my pinion was completely loose too. Thanks.
I think they call it “punch control” which is confusing, but from my understanding the higher the % the more it limits it.

I think they call it “punch control” which is confusing, but from my understanding the higher the % the more it limits it.
Yup it's called "punch control". Damn. Ok. I'll go for zero tomorrow. It will probably do a standing backflip. Yeah it was acting like it was on punch setting 1 on the Hobbywing stuff ?

Let’s hope so! ?
I see a benefit of not having punch set so high. I think that extends your battery life. I got about 20+ minutes with punch control at 100%. Hehe. And that's with my cheap 6500mAh 60C 4s youandme batteries. I'll try with punch control at 50% and see what happens with the battery life but I believe that extra boost at the beginning really takes a toll on the battery life. That's what some people say and I'm almost agreeing with that at this moment.

I see a benefit of not having punch set so high. I think that extends your battery life. I got about 20+ minutes with punch control at 100%. Hehe. And that's with my cheap 6500mAh 60C 4s youandme batteries. I'll try with punch control at 50% and see what happens with the battery life but I believe that extra boost at the beginning really takes a toll on the battery life. That's what some people say and I'm almost agreeing with that at this moment.
Having my punch set to max power killed my 9700mah 120c SMC batteries unbelievably quick. The batteries were pretty warm afterwards. I was also punching it everywhere, but that's besides the point lol. I'm gonna look into some 160C batteries to really make it move

I turn my punch down to 0 on my max5 and 850kv TP, any more just destroys the drivetrain slowly and I don't notice much of a diff, these motors are incredibly powerfull.

I turn my punch down to 0 on my max5 and 850kv TP, any more just destroys the drivetrain slowly and I don't notice much of a diff, these motors are incredibly powerfull.
Cool. I tried punch control at 50%and now I can do endless wheelies and put the O8S on its roof. I only ran for 7 minutes though. I'll see what my battery percentage is left when I connect them to my charger. I might go to punch setting 1 on my xmaxx trucks with the max 5 and 1100kv since I'm beginning to bend driveshafts after only one run ?.
Having my punch set to max power killed my 9700mah 120c SMC batteries unbelievably quick. The batteries were pretty warm afterwards. I was also punching it everywhere, but that's besides the point lol. I'm gonna look into some 160C batteries to really make it move
Hehe. How long did they last? I know before I the upgrade I would get like 20+ minutes with the stock electronics and 21t pinion on the O8S with 9400 75C smc batteries.

Update. Since this was an open box purchase, I'm missing the correct connector that goes straight into the ESC. I just watched a video, so I'm trying to connect the sensor wire directly to the ESC, which will never work! OK I'm going to call Amain and complain about that because they didn't specify that was missing. I was also missing the 8 guage wire that is used for a jumper when you solder. Damn.

Did you get the sensor wires figured out? My xlx2 came with sensor wires coming off of the esc and a set with the motor. Also mine didn’t come with the 8 gauge jumper either.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back