Outcast Outcast vs LST 3XL-E

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtx

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
XL3.JPG

Waited a few weeks to order my Outcast to stack the odds of getting a V2 - arriving on Saturday so should know soon. My other Toy (Losi LST 3XL-E) arrived today so should keep me busy for a few days. Looking forward to seeing how they compare.

Do you do any YouTube Vidoes?
I am debating on getting that Losi or the Arrma 2018 Outcast/Kraton.
Hard to beat Arrma 2 years warranty tho.
Please share your thoughts on the two later.

Just ordered that losi myself, can't wait to get it. Do you know the dimensions of the battery compartments? Can't find that info anywhere online

3xleoutcastsize.JPG
3xleoutcastsideby.JPG
Do you do any YouTube Vidoes?
I am debating on getting that Losi or the Arrma 2018 Outcast/Kraton.
Hard to beat Arrma 2 years warranty tho.
Please share your thoughts on the two later.
IMO the 3XLE is in a slightly different class and worth the extra $ if you can make it happen. Out of the box it is the best performing truck that I have opened this year (And I have opened a hand full). It's agility and performance (all around) is impressive. Having said that I have a V3 Kraton and V2 Outcast due this week and can't wait to run them. I have a 2 week old Outcast but it was V1 (even though I ordered a v2) it's going back and a new Orange V2 will replace it. I really don't think you can only do one ... I'd approach it as in buy one before the other and if you have the cash for the 3XLE get it now and the Arrma's will be waiting for ya. In terms of warranty Horizon has been superb so far.

Just ordered that losi myself, can't wait to get it. Do you know the dimensions of the battery compartments? Can't find that info anywhere online
I run SMC's in mine (2 3's) and it's a tight fit but works. So much so that I have been charging them in the 3XLE because it's a pain to remove them, remove the plate and pin. It's a bullet proof battery tray setup (never going to bounce a battery) btw.

These are the dim's of the batteries and anything higher would likely not latch.
Length 139mm / 5.47in
Width 48mm / 1.89in
Height 37mm / 1.46in

Last edited:
View attachment 13385 View attachment 13386
IMO the 3XLE is in a slightly different class and worth the extra $ if you can make it happen. Out of the box it is the best performing truck that I have opened this year (And I have opened a hand full). It's agility and performance (all around) is impressive. Having said that I have a V3 Kraton and V2 Outcast due this week and can't wait to run them. I have a 2 week old Outcast but it was V1 (even though I ordered a v2) it's going back and a new Orange V2 will replace it. I really don't think you can only do one ... I'd approach it as in buy one before the other and if you have the cash for the 3XLE get it now and the Arrma's will be waiting for ya. In terms of warranty Horizon has been superb so far.

I run SMC's in mine (2 3's) and it's a tight fit but works. So much so that I have been charging them in the 3XLE because it's a pain to remove them, remove the plate and pin. It's a bullet proof battery tray setup (never going to bounce a battery) btw.

These are the dim's of the batteries and anything higher would likely not latch.
Length 139mm / 5.47in
Width 48mm / 1.89in
Height 37mm / 1.46in

Yes, I agree they are not in the same class and yet worth every penny of it. The Losi weight 15.5lb compare to a 10lb Kraton/outcast, And also 3.75" ride height vs 1.85".(Huge different) So I am just thinking they drive and handle completely different. Since I own an Xmaxx, and DBXL-E, (like a supersized of the two). If the 3XLE handle just like an Xmaxx due to the weight and height. I might just use the $250CAD i saved toward 3S batteries and spare parts upgrades for the Outcast V2. Should be more fun to have a lighter truck to bash/jumps in the skate/bike park without too much breakage. And use the Xmaxx on rough terrain where ride height matters/required.

If I remember correctly, Horizon has 90 days warrantly on ESC and such. Arrma wins hands down on that with the 2 year.

I also own 2 SMC..I assume you have the SMC 7200mah 3S? I wonder how those Gen Ace 3S fit in compare to the SMC, they are 138.5MM vs 139MM length.
And no other manufactor list their Amp rating like SMC does, like (131 Amps/90C). They seems lower, makes it a bit confusing compare to like Gen ace... Interesting.

Thanks for your review. It has helped me choose.

3xledbxle.JPG
Well if I had known you had a DBXLE then the comparison would have even been easier. I think I posted this somewhere but here goes again. The 3XLE is everything the DBXLE is not and that is a good thing. It's not a heavy tank, it does not handle like a big heavy tank, it jumps with ease and lands unlike a heavy tank. I have way too many RC's so run time on each is not as much as I'd like and it's only getting worse as I have several something special(s) incoming this week and next. What I don't know about the 3XLE is how durable it will be, specifically the diff. Only time will tell.

Q on the Xmaxx as it's just about the only kit I have yet to pick up. For some reason I have in my head that it's an over priced, under powered POS. Would like to hear your opinion, especially since you have first hand with the DBXLE.

I have just got into this hobby very recently, but I have been watching and reading a lot of stuffs related. I now own TRX4, Summit, Xmaxx8S, and DBXL-E. A truck for different task.

Here is my opinion on Xmaxx. As you all know,it is the largest RTR electric MT out there, and it is traxxas plastic as well. But I must say it is very durable and it does the job very well. Not POS junk plastic like many are just saying. Even if the parts is made from steel, like those gas version 1/5 scale RC..it can still bend/damage due to the extra weight.. So, it is up to the owner if he/she can afford the maintance/upgrades for such massive size of a vehicle..Come on, think of it this way, if traxxas made it with a lot of steel parts and weight 35-50lbs, you think you can bash it like we do now? The price for an Xmaxx is high, but actuslly not that bad, you can't compare a 1/6 truck to any 1/8 or 1/10 scale. (25lb vs 15 lbs vs 10lbs), just like you can't really compare a Typhon to a DBXL.
A lot of people claim they have issue with the stock ESC, and force to upgrade to MAX6 etc. Although I have no issue with mine(or yet, I donno since I have only run mine for just a few months). But an ESC upgrade is always a welcome upgrade. I will consider doing it later , but I don't see the need for now, since mine is problem free and suit my needs. If it doesn't satisfy me later, of couse I will need to pay for upgrades such as ESC/Motor. In stock form(gearing up is still stock form I suppose), my Xmaxx can bash/jump side by side with the DBXL-E no problem. To me, Xmaxx is not underpower, I can't say about the same for everybody..

Xmaxx 8S came with 18/54 gearing + and an extra 46t spur gear. I have not try 18/46, but I have geared up to 22/50, but drop it down to 20/50 now. It is just crazy fast consider the size of it and what I run it for. Even with 18/50 is a total different experience compare to the god damn bullet bash proof 18/54. There is still a lot of people running stock or close to stock ESC and motor on youtube, and they are still a joy to bash with.
It is all about how much money u are willing to put into the 1/6, and maintance is not cheap to most..for example like, $20 to just change the 4 shocks oil, $15 for a single drive cup/drive axle. Everything parts cost like double than 1/8.
Out of the box, Xmaxx just wont jump like the 1/8 does. You must gear it up for speed, and be prepare to fix/upgrade something if you jump/crash this 25+lbs 40+mph machine. Just like Arrma won't just install the speed spur or higher pinion out the box. So it all comes down to gearing, and the damn tires. Yes, the tires plays a huge role on how the truck perform in my opinion. Example like the Kraton with Backflips tires just drive completely different than stock tires on loose dirt/grass(I only know this by reading the forum, I don't own any of Arrma yet). Since it is $200+CAD for a set of new tires/a ESC/or a motor for the Xmaxx. And those parts will most likely be staying in the same truck forever, so spending those money trying other trucks like a Arrma truggy is more temping for me at this point.

dirtx, it seems like you are very willing to spend money on RC, i think you should get a Xmaxx, it is a different experience. And you can put that rebranded Max6 on your dbxle into the Xmaxx if you are want to upgrade. And get a Max5 for the buggy if upgrading, that was my plan a month ago. But it is all up to you, if you have a lot of 1/5 scale rigs, I am sure you will have some spare parts that you can put on others. Just like what the arrma owners do with their 1/8.

The Losi looks underpowered with no space for a larger motor. Conform/deny...
Don't know where your getting that from

I emailed horizon to find out battery tray dimensions as couldn't find them listed anywhere,
L-141 W-51 H-36
They are pretty crap dimensions as in the UK there is only one 3s lipo I can find that will fit in the truck, a reaction lipo 3s 5000mah 50c and it's £103 each

Motor looks small for such a heavy truck and it is sanwiched between the diff and chassis.

Have you tried hobbyking for the battery? They have many sizes. You might need an adapter for the plug though.

There's a video on YouTube were it looks under powered but he had it set to slow with realising, once switched to high it looked a beast. I tried hobbyking and no 3s batteries will fit, looks like I'll have to go double 2s

i am considering this losi myself . nice to see the side by side with the outcast .looks larger in every way .and a pretty plush suspension from what i seen online .i sold all my land rc`s about a year ago and been messing with boats but with winter apon us i am getting that land rc itch again .
thanks for those lipo tray measurements ,gonna go measure my lipos now...lol.
hey dirt, what you like better the losi or the arrma ? be honest now...lol

I don't think them dimensions are 100% correct as everyday RC on YouTube got max amps for his losi and dimensions are 139x47x39

A few pics beside the outcast

Attachments

• IMG_20171128_160520.jpg
    IMG_20171128_160520.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20171128_160527.jpg
    IMG_20171128_160527.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20171128_160534.jpg
    IMG_20171128_160534.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 123
I've had a losi Lst2 for years, i converted it to brushless years ago and it has been a solid truck. Really have broken almost nothing on it. I don't really drive it anymore as bodys are hard to find. I will say though honestly for the price they want for that truck and the price you can get the outcast with coupon from tower, its really a no brainer. Yes the outcast has some flaws, but my son and I have been having a blast with it and its way cheaper than the losi. Also not being able to run a single 6S pack is a deal breaker for me.

Hmm, I see they won't allow coupons for the outcast anymore at Tower, still 200 dollar difference between the trucks and I don't think I could possibly break 200 dollars worth of parts on the outcast.

The losi is a really nice looking truck though.

looks like i am gonna pull the trigger on the outcast soon .just cant live with the price tag on that losi .its a beautiful rig but just too rich for my blood .sometimes i got to wonder what these manufacturers are thinking ? is losi made in the usa ?

Outcast is 1 solid truck also tekno mt410. I've beat both very badly with big jumps and terrible landings with zero damage to the outcast and only a bent driveshaft on the tekno

I've had a losi Lst2 for years, i converted it to brushless years ago and it has been a solid truck. Really have broken almost nothing on it. I don't really drive it anymore as bodys are hard to find. I will say though honestly for the price they want for that truck and the price you can get the outcast with coupon from tower, its really a no brainer. Yes the outcast has some flaws, but my son and I have been having a blast with it and its way cheaper than the losi. Also not being able to run a single 6S pack is a deal breaker for me.

Hmm, I see they won't allow coupons for the outcast anymore at Tower, still 200 dollar difference between the trucks and I don't think I could possibly break 200 dollars worth of parts on the outcast.

The losi is a really nice looking truck though.

The twin battery thing is a ball breaker for sure. I've a savage flux xl that i hardly ever use because of the batteries, I'll maybe get it out more now once I get a few packs for the losi

nevermind ,your right .:(

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back