Outrageously absurd issues with Axial AE-5 rock crawler ESC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

senton driver

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I am completely at a loss to what is happening with my Axial SCX10iii right now. The truck was built up from the kit version and is equipped with an Axial AE-5 ESC along with a Traxxas Titan 550 brushed motor. The ESC does not have an on/off switch so when you plug the battery into the ESC it immediately turns on. what is happening is that when I plug the battery into the ESC it immediately hits itself into reverse at (it could be just me) what seems to be an unnatural rate of speed. Whether I turn the transmitter on before connecting the battery or not makes absolutely no difference. My mind is entirely boggled at this issue and I would be infinitely grateful if there is anyone more highly educated than me in this area or if anyone has witnessed or heard of an issue this profound and would like to share possible fixes.

Thank y'all so much for your support! It's great to have a family of people I can reach out to like this! Truly something special 💯 💯 💯

Maybe you need to calibrate your remotes neutral, throttle and brake positions. I messed up calibrating a dumborc remote and the car bolted and had to hold full brake just to slow it down enough to grab it.

Maybe you need to calibrate your remotes neutral, throttle and brake positions. I messed up calibrating a dumborc remote and the car bolted and had to hold full brake just to slow it down enough to grab it.
The AE5 self calibrates.

Is you transmitter on when you power up the esc. Power on your remote for a few seconds with all trims set to neutral. Then power on the esc. and it should calibrate for a few seconds and then get a long beep if it was successful. What remote are you using? I think some remotes may still have to be calibrated separate from the esc's

I am completely at a loss to what is happening with my Axial SCX10iii right now. The truck was built up from the kit version and is equipped with an Axial AE-5 ESC along with a Traxxas Titan 550 brushed motor. The ESC does not have an on/off switch so when you plug the battery into the ESC it immediately turns on. what is happening is that when I plug the battery into the ESC it immediately hits itself into reverse at (it could be just me) what seems to be an unnatural rate of speed. Whether I turn the transmitter on before connecting the battery or not makes absolutely no difference. My mind is entirely boggled at this issue and I would be infinitely grateful if there is anyone more highly educated than me in this area or if anyone has witnessed or heard of an issue this profound and would like to share possible fixes.

Thank y'all so much for your support! It's great to have a family of people I can reach out to like this! Truly something special 💯 💯 💯
Weird.....if all else fails......Hobbywing 1080 ESC......$45 tried and true and a longtime value in crawler ESCs......but try what the guys have recommended first.....
Is you transmitter on when you power up the esc. Power on your remote for a few seconds with all trims set to neutral. Then power on the esc. and it should calibrate for a few seconds and then get a long beep if it was successful. What remote are you using? I think some remotes may still have to be calibrated separate from the esc's
If what you said doesn't work, I'm at a loss

Can you adjust the throttle trim on your transmitter? Sounds like its almost turned back to far and its activating reverse.
No, that was my first thought when I realized the issue but the throttle trim is at neutral and whether I have the transmitter turned on or not makes no difference whatsoever.

Back