Vorteks Over Heating because of battery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok. that makes sense. would getting a different esc help with that. bah. i don't know if i need to get this deep into the hobby. well, if it will bring memories with my son, then shoot for the moon i suppose.
Don't worry about the ESC unless you can step up to something like the Castle Mamba X. The stock ESC is a re-brand of the Hobbywing
Max10 line, and those are pretty good. Max10 would get you more programing options, but the same basic ESC "Engine". But, neither will help much with runtime (much).

A max10sct has a user selectable lvc point so it will help with runtime a fair bit and the Big Rock blx100 has a lower lvc point than the firma100a so for an even simpler like for like swap, it makes a difference. With a 15t and a blx100 in my vorteks I get, unsurpringly, th exact same runtime in the vorteks to the Big Rock - about 22mins of mixed speed bashing on a 5000-5500mah 3s.
Anyway, all this esc stuff is only if the pinion change doesn’t nail it.

My Vorteks hits LVC at 3.8v, so dumb. And you can't adjust it, I plan to switch ESC's asap.
Do you have an ESC programmer for the ESC? It will easily allow you to change many parameters. like LVC cut off. Punch, etc.
Alternatively, you can use the ESC Manual's instructions. Has a procedure using the "Set" button on the Power switch to gain access to the ESC paramters for your Vorteks. A bit more cumbersome, but works also. Just a slight more learning curve to understand it.

EDITED:
Yeah the Vorteks ESC has no LVC settings in Lipo mode. It is fixed.:( Spektrum really cut corners here.
Just Drop the gearing lower. Should help. And/Or source a higher capacity Lipo.

Last edited:
lose a little bit of top end. lol. that is fine. this thing is nuts. don't have anywhere really that i can maintain it's top end for very long.
more torque? it can have more? actually, more torque might work for what i might try to do with it. Its a bad idea and everyone is going to tell me i will probably burn my motor up an other stuff, but i want to see if i can attach a sled to it and pull my 5 year old around in it this winter. he might be too big, my my 9 month old, that will turning a year in January might be small enough.

ok. that makes sense. would getting a different esc help with that. bah. i don't know if i need to get this deep into the hobby. well, if it will bring memories with my son, then shoot for the moon i suppose.
No need to spend coin on another ESC. Waste of money at this point. Enjoy as is.
Need to Dial in the gearing better. Get better run times. Drawing a bit less amp load.
Many guys just buy another ESC and motor when they never really played with gearing etc. Run the ESC till it is bricked. If it ever does.
Not understanding ESC's and Gearing can be a problem.

No need to spend coin on another ESC. Waste of money at this point. Enjoy as is.
Need to Dial in the gearing better. Get better run times. Drawing a bit less amp load.
Many guys just buy another ESC and motor when they never really played with gearing etc. Run the ESC till it is bricked. If it ever does.
Not understanding ESC's and Gearing can be a problem.
there is a local place that resells amazon, target and wayfair returns. i actually might be able to get a Redcat Racing HEX8 Hexfly ESC for stupid cheap. if i win the auction, i might consider upgrading the ESC. otherwise, like you said. just stick to stock for now till i learn a little more.

Hex8 is decent for the price. A HW rebrand.(y) I think a HW program card may even work with it.
Many use them.
I think they come with T-Plugs ( generic Deans plugs) though. Need to change them out. No biggy. T-Plugs suck anyway. IMHO.
Not that you can use them anyway with your current Lipos.
Consider upgrading to a 4s rated ESC at least. Will run cooler and more efficient with 3s lipos.

Last edited:
Do you have an ESC programmer for the ESC? It will easily allow you to change many parameters. like LVC cut off. Punch, etc.
Alternatively, you can use the ESC Manual's instructions. Has a procedure using the "Set" button on the Power switch to gain access to the ESC paramters for your Vorteks. A bit more cumbersome, but works also. Just a slight more learning curve to understand it.

EDITED:
Yeah the Vorteks ESC has no LVC settings in Lipo mode. It is fixed.:( Spektrum really cut corners here.
Just Drop the gearing lower. Should help. And/Or source a higher capacity Lipo.
I may be wrong, but I think there is a firmware update for the Vorteks Firma100 that either lowers LVC or allows the user to adjust LVC therefore solving the short run time issues.

I may be wrong, but I think there is a firmware update for the Vorteks Firma100 that either lowers LVC or allows the user to adjust LVC therefore solving the short run time issues.
Can anyone verify this? Would hate to buy the $30 program card that is required (I believe) to update to find out there is no update.

^^^ I would call HH Spektrum first. Always good to have the Programmer. But if there are is no F/W support yet, why bother? Your call. Depends how invested your are with the Spektrum Firma eco system and all.
LVC at 3.8 volts is wrong. Need a cheap Lipo Tester to evaluate further when it does go LVC. Check LIPO immediately with it. What are the cells reading?
One really bad cell can trigger LVC. Then its the Lipos fault. If all are close and around 3.8v then LVC triggers too soon.
Do some searches.

Last edited:
The way I look at it, I might as well save that 30$, sell the firma, and get a HW Max10sct.

Just got a Vorteks not too long ago. I purchased 1 Spectrum 5200mah 50c battery from the hobby shop for $90 after taxes, ouch. Me being cheap, i got 2 zeee 5200mah 80c from amazon for $62. just to have extra batteries. the truck runs fine on the spectrum battery. on the zeee batteries, i will get about 10 minutes in or so, then the car will slow down and shortly after that it doesn't run at all. the fans keep running. Once i shut the car off and turn it back on, it will run for a little bit before the same process repeats.
so, using my powers of deduction, i assumed the motor was heating up too much because of the higher discharge of the 80c battery. now before you start roasting me, i am kinda new to the scene and have not done extensive searching. figured i would come here and seek assistance from fellow enthusiasts.
Now, i was thinking, if it is a heating issue, can i add a larger fan or an additional fan and would a thermal pad be a good addition?
Also, are there any good breakdown videos for the vortek. i don't want to break anything when trying to install teh thermal pad.
One more thing, how do yall clean your cars? Just dump it in the bath tub and drive it around for a little bit, use the pressure washer, or just take everything part and hand clean in with a damn rag?

Thanks yall!

*edit*
ok, i was watching this video:
makes it look pretty easy to take the motor out.
I'm currently running Zeee 6000mAh 80C 11.1V in my Vorteks and get anywhere from 15-20 minutes run time depending on how hard I'm going. I have two Zeee 5200's coming as well so I will be able to compare my runtime and let you know. Hopefully tomorrow.

Can anyone verify this? Would hate to buy the $30 program card that is required (I believe) to update to find out there is no update.
The long promised update still hasn’t arrived. The first thing I did when the vendetta came out was to see if it had been deployed on it and it hasn’t.
I’ll try and call Arrma U.K. later this week to see if they have an update. It was they who told me about it, months ago and said that it would ship with new 3S models

Well, here is your answer. The update I posted about hasn't been released yet.

The long promised update still hasn’t arrived. The first thing I did when the vendetta came out was to see if it had been deployed on it and it hasn’t.
I’ll try and call Arrma U.K. later this week to see if they have an update. It was they who told me about it, months ago and said that it would ship with new 3S models

I just got shy of 15 minutes on the battery below. First time running the battery, not sure how this would compare to say running in Big Rock.

20211028_143038.jpg

^^^ Nice M2C Motor mount and brace(y)

I just got shy of 15 minutes on the battery below. First time running the battery, not sure how this would compare to say running in Big Rock.
I have the same battery. I am not sure my run time. I guess i never paid attention.

^^^ Nice M2C Motor mount and brace(y)
took me a second to realize what you were talking about. i guess i didn't even know it was an option to replace the motor mount and brace.

Brand new packs won’t give you the max runtime. You need to break them in. After 10 or so runs they will last longer.

Hobbywing makes two program cards. The LED one works for the lower end escs (as well as the Arrma BLX) and is only $10. I'd guess that it would also work on the Firma escs, but not sure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back