Kraton Overgearing, monster Cap pack, Back flip LPs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btosic

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Warm days are gone, and overgearing time is here to stay! :)
I gave my Kraton set of Back Flip LPs, geared it higher and built a new big cap pack, because I feel that TP 4070 1520kv will toast Max6 on this gearing.
I had 8 Nichicon 2200uF Fine Gold, state of the art audio capacitors and I know that audio guys will hate me, but why let them stay in the box. I built 17.600uF cap pack with ESR 0,00 .
Monster Cap pack make the punch of high torque motor so sweet, that I can't describe it, it is like a video game!
Lower rotational mass of LPs makes the Kraton to behave like a buggy, snappy and sharp, I can't thank enough @Rich Duperbash for advice!
I feel that lots of brakages are on the way, but I can't help myself, it is so much fun.
20191011_174815.jpg
20190924_103319.jpg
20191012_190338.jpg
20191012_191529.jpg
20191015_200755.jpg

Not worried about the g forces the end of that cap pack is going to have to endure? Do you have something supporting it so it doesn't crack/get damaged when you land a jump?

Just seems like a bug hunk of stuff hanging out there in open air.

Those caps are big! Didn't look like much by themselves, but strapped in the truck, they are some tall mofo's!

Yes, shorter part is supported by battery, and longer side is supported by chunk of foam placed over radio box. So far no problems. Just to clarify these caps are not for this purpose, I use Nichicons for all my packs, but not Fine Gold, I use UHW series caps, not so expensive and graeat for high power demands(very low ESR).

These Cap Packs... I need to learn more about these other then the basic, they store a bit of power to use when ESC or Motor seems to be struggling for power, I think! LOL

These Cap Packs... I need to learn more about these other then the basic, they store a bit of power to use when ESC or Motor seems to be struggling for power, I think! LOL
Long story short, ESC is pulsing motor in a high frequency, that causes voltage ripple, voltage ripple and sag are bad for ESC and performance. In a long term ripple will cause ESC failure. Cap pac lowers ripple and helps ESC.

Hell yea! Appreciate the breakdown there. I'll have to find some sites that teach how to make those, along with how to properly solder it all! Thanks again!

Hell yea! Appreciate the breakdown there. I'll have to find some sites that teach how to make those, along with how to properly solder it all! Thanks again!
To expand on that a bit, or at least further examples...

I was having an issue with my castle MMX esc in my savage rebooting itself. I didn't understand why (still don't really), but I had sent my data logs to castle to see if they could explain a few things. They replied with answers for what I asked, but suggested I get better plugs, resolder my plugs or possibly better packs as my ripple voltage was 3v+ when under load. After installing the cap pack, I'm now <1v ripple per the logs.

I recently cooked the MXL-6S esc in my ERBEv2, not 100% sure why. Since I was running a similar setup (MMv2/2200kv vs MMX/2200kv), I thought perhaps the ripple voltage killed it, so I made a second cap pack for the esc I put back in it, which was an old HPI Blur F360C (MMv1). So far it's doing ok. I don't have any logging data, so was just basing it off what I did get from the MMX. All 3 of those esc's are rated for 120A continuous.

Well, just to add, cap packs wont do much, if LiPo is not in a spec for the job. But on the other hand there is absolutely no reason why not have one. You can build highest quality pack in a range of 8.000-10.000 uF , for around 30-40 USD and average soldering skills.

I got that. Just found it odd since all my packs were 50C 5000mah+. At the time I sent them the log, I was running SMC 7400mah 2S packs. Then I started running 6S with hobbystar 6200mah 50C and hrb 5000mah 50c.

I most recently changed from trx connectors to xt90's to get away from the arc'ing when using 6S.

C rating is the biggest problem, I wrote aboute that, not long ago. Companies have "write what you want" rutin, regarding C rating. That's why XL X is golden, when I buy new LiPo, after few easy cycles and hit it hard, then I check logs to see what battery is doing under load.
Other than that, I like proven LiPos, SMC, gensacearespammers and Graphen Panther these days are fine for me. I have gensacearespammers 60C with more then 200 cycles, still good, just with slightly increased IR, but still fine for bashing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back