Big Rock overheating ESC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red92rs

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Senton 3s
So my Big Rock has done this twice now. I take it out, at first its fine. After a few minutes the throttle becomes real laggy on initial pull. Eventually I go to pull throttle and the it just stops. I have blinking green light on the ESC. Is this a bad ESC? I run on mostly mowed grass so not hitting long sustained speeds. This takes about 6 or 7 minutes of running or about a 1/4 of a pack on a full charge. Using the Spektrum smart 50C 5000mah 3s batteries. I have the 15tooth pinion in, but am running the larger Duratrax belted lockup MTs. Thoughts?

Last edited:
All fans are working. Is this the motor possibly not having enough torque and pulling more amps till the ESC over heats? If I go to a lower kV motor (more torque), say 2600 with same blx100 ESC, will this reduce power demand?

All fans are working. Is this the motor possibly not having enough torque and pulling more amps till the ESC over heats? If I go to a lower kV motor (more torque), say 2600 with same blx100 ESC, will this reduce power demand?
Gear down to a 13 or 14t pinion. See what happens. Do you have a temp gun also to check temps? If the ESC isn't really overheating you may have a bigger problem. Could be a bad ESC in general or could be a bad battery?

I have blinking green light on the ESC. Is this a bad ESC?

Per the manual, blinking green is overtemp:

2021-05-25_13-50-37.jpg

I guess I should say, I am aware the green light indicates overheating. That said I am curious on root cause.

I am going to try throwing some Granite wheels on as they are likely lighter. I may also try a 13T pinion gear and see if that helps.

Grass is the worst surface for heating up electronics quickly. Depending on how thick the grass and how hard you're running, 6-7 could definitely overheat an ESC. Does the ESC feel really hot? You should get a temp gun, it's really a must. And avoid thick grass. Even a mowed lawn 2 inches high will get electronics hot quickly. Plus thick grass is the least fun surface to run on.

Last edited:
I think I figured out the issue. My Big Rock started life as a Senton. In converting everything I forgot to drop the pinion from a 20T to at least the factory 15T. I threw one of those in we will see if problem is solved. Can drop to a 13T if I need a little more head room.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back