Typhon Overheating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jupitervix

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
I just bought my first rc car, an ARRMA Typhon Mega 4x4! I love it, but it always shuts down due to overheating! Even when I drive for around 15 minutes on 50%.
I think I will buy a fan for the ESC, a fan for the battery and a heatsink and a fan for the motor. Will all that fans burn out the receiver? If so, can I use a BEC and/or a voltage protector (glitch buster?) ?

Unless you are running a LiPo battery with the brushed motor, it won't be LVC. From my little experience with the brushed motors, they run pretty hot on LiPo. Also, the motors don't have a long shelf life of you run LiPo batteries. Let us know what type battery you are running.

How do you know it's overheating? Do you have a temp gun?
No. It suddenly stops and the red light on the ESC is flashing. The manual says: “ESC has shut down due to overheating.”
What’s your gearing?
See how long you can hold your finger on motor then you can tell it’s to damn hot. I do I get 30 minutes
Gearing I use is 46/16 dua tornado fans
I use the stock gearing.
First time I drove I could hold about 5 seconds or more on the motor but only 2 seconds on the ESC and the battery (stock, nimh 2400 mah 8.4 volts). Yesterday I couldn’t even hold for a full second on all three of them.
What battery do you have? It may be a LVC issue
Stock, nimh 2400 mah 8.4 volts.

Last edited:
I can’t imagine it’s overheating with the NiMH pack. Something is wrong. Maybe a seized bearing somewhere.

No. It suddenly stops and the red light on the ESC is flashing. The manual says: “ESC has shut down due to overheating.”

I use the stock gearing.
First time I drove I could hold about 5 seconds or more on the motor but only 2 seconds on the ESC and the battery (stock, nimh 2400 mah 8.4 volts). Yesterday I couldn’t even hold for a full second on all three of them.

Stock, nimh 2400 mah 8.4 volts.

The stock battery is good for about 10 minutes of run time. As other suggested, I would check yo make sure nothing is binding in the drive line. I'd remove the center drive shaft and the motor module. Roll it on the floor and it should roll easily.

The stock battery is good for about 10 minutes of run time. As other suggested, I would check yo make sure nothing is binding in the drive line. I'd remove the center drive shaft and the motor module. Roll it on the floor and it should roll easily.
I did so and it rolls very easily.

I did so and it rolls very easily.
Well that's good. I'm assuming that everything looks good in the motor module? Sometimes I will power the motor with the module out if the truck to see how it spins and how it looks when you return to neutral. The spur should slow gradually. Sudden stop after returning to neutral is no good.

Well that's good. I'm assuming that everything looks good in the motor module? Sometimes I will power the motor with the module out if the truck to see how it spins and how it looks when you return to neutral. The spur should slow gradually. Sudden stop after returning to neutral is no good.
All seems to be fine.

I bought two WTF fans (one for the motor and one for the battery) and an y-cabel which I use to connect the fans to the reciever. It has worked very well and it never overheat, it’s much shorter runtime but I can live with that. So I’m a bit proud that my upgrade worked?.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back