Outcast "Packing" batteries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abandy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 6s
Hi from the U.K
Does anybody know much about these 'cap pack' batteries
Screenshot_20200724-230012_Chrome.jpg

Yes, overpriced snake-oil for bashers but there is a very limited use for these for high speed runners.
They do prevent drops in voltage when accelerating to the max capability for both ESC and battery.

Unless you plan to go past 100 mph+ these are useless as they will do nothing other than empty your pockets.

Below, he is going into a littlebit in the first 10 min. If you do not understand the graph and discussion topwards the end you won't ever have to use these (no offense intended). You have to have a datalogger integrated into the ESC to get any meaningful result.

Yes, overpriced snake-oil for bashers but there is a very limited use for these for high speed runners.
They do prevent drops in voltage when accelerating to the max capability for both ESC and battery.

Unless you plan to go past 100 mph+ these are useless as they will do nothing other than empty your pockets.

Below, he is going into a littlebit in the first 10 min. If you do not understand the graph and discussion topwards the end you won't ever have to use these (no offense intended). You have to have a datalogger integrated into the ESC to get any meaningful result.

Nice one ,as you can probably tell im new to the hobby so trying to find my way are theyre any particular batteries you would recomend for general bashing with a good bit of grunt as well as a bit of longevity in runtime any advice is appreciated cheers

There is a thread here:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/whats-your-budget-lipo-of-choice.218/page-33#post-346668

If you are in the US (hint set your location), I'd go with SMC, Zeee (Amazon) or China Hobby Line (https://chinahobbyline.com/index.php?route=common/home) or whatever the latest flavor is in that thread. You will find split recommendations on SMC, I only have good experience.

If you are new, I'd cautiously suggest Sektrum smart batteries but they are pricey and need Spektrum charger etc.
If you spend 1h learning you can pick any other ones just stay far away from MaxAmps.

Thanks for th at im in tthe U.K and oretty new to brushless ran nitro some years back then got the bug again now got 6s outcast fully CRCU kitted i have some overlander sport track 3s 4500mah but want to have the option to run 4s also. single pack or x2 ??
Appreciate the advice so nice one pal

Thanks for th at im in tthe U.K and oretty new to brushless ran nitro some years back then got the bug again now got 6s outcast fully CRCU kitted i have some overlander sport track 3s 4500mah but want to have the option to run 4s also. single pack or x2 ??
Appreciate the advice so nice one pal

Not sure if China Hobby Line is more available in the UK yet but for the cost they're outstanding imo. There are so many helpful UK guys here though and if you find a battery pack you like, post up before you buy and we'll be happy to provide help if we know the product. I also have pretty good results with SMC but China Hobby Line has really shown me for value. I get massive punch on the 6s white or black packs and I'm probably buying them from now on or until something new comes out. I've been amazed.

HRB batteries available on Amazon are quite popular here in the UK. My go-to battery is Turnigy from Hobbyking. For 4S I'm running single turnigy panther graphene 5000mah 75C, for 6S I run 2x Turnigy HD 3S 5000mah 60C, and my latest set of 3S is the new Turnigy Rapid hardcase. As for 2x2S or a single 4S is purely down to preference. Some people like minimal connections, some like to run a matched pair of batteries and then if one pack dies they can re-use the other pack in other cars.

Have seen a few reports of people using China hobbyline but I think they imported them from overseas, as far as I'm aware there's no UK distributors.

HK are out of stock of the HD battery or were earlier in the week so I tried the new Rapid hardcase, 5500mah 140C which arrived Wednesday. Must say I'm impressed at the punch on these Rapids, got no trouble at even already high speeds of getting it to wheelie on my fairly heavy M2C'd Kraton 6S, and only punch level 5 on the ESC.

HK are out of stock of the HD battery or were earlier in the week so I tried the new Rapid hardcase, 5500mah 140C which arrived Wednesday. Must say I'm impressed at the punch on these Rapids, got no trouble at even already high speeds of getting it to wheelie on my fairly heavy M2C'd Kraton 6S, and only punch level 5 on the ESC.
Thanks for that guys massive help to this journeyman ill get some prices and let you know i like the sound of St chalkys choice as my outcast is full CRCU and carrying a little weight im also punch 5 so i think they will be my first choice thanks again guys ???

this is a UK basher with a Notorious giving the Rapids a run. Main thing to be aware of with them is that you'll likely need to release the little tab on the battery cover so that it can come up a bit higher as they are quite tall batteries being hardcase. The Turnigy HD being softcase go straight in no problem but no stock of them at the mo. The HD i think are excellent for the money but at only 9 quid more per battery I'll happily buy the Rapids again

@Abandy that's a "cap pack" and not a battery so you don't want those.

I've bought all my batteries from Hobbyking (UK warehouse) and I use Turnigy (various types/model names).
Link: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/batteries-chargers/batteries/lipo.html?___store=en_us

Personally I always like to run one pack rather than two whenever possible.
Sign up to the MSUK forum also when you've time as it's a good general RC forum with most members UK based so if looking for advice for where to buy from it's a better source of info. ;)

@Abandy that's a "cap pack" and not a battery so you don't want those.

I've bought all my batteries from Hobbyking (UK warehouse) and I use Turnigy (various types/model names).
Link: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/batteries-chargers/batteries/lipo.html?___store=en_us

Personally I always like to run one pack rather than two whenever possible.
Sign up to the MSUK forum also when you've time as it's a good general RC forum with most members UK based so if looking for advice for where to buy from it's a better source of info. ;)
Thanks for your help ill get on MSUK when i finish work cheers??
this is a UK basher with a Notorious giving the Rapids a run. Main thing to be aware of with them is that you'll likely need to release the little tab on the battery cover so that it can come up a bit higher as they are quite tall batteries being hardcase. The Turnigy HD being softcase go straight in no problem but no stock of them at the mo. The HD i think are excellent for the money but at only 9 quid more per battery I'll happily buy the Rapids again
Again nice one ill subscribe when finish work i have the same issue with wheelies but like the short wheelbase in the air started a savi gs pot for a kraton or a typhon cant make mind up yet truggified typhon or kraton ill get my head around the battery choice for now though nice notorious by the way i am also looking for some cooling for the motor your set up looks nice cheers again???

I should put in a vote for Turnigy also. I have several smaller ones for air models but for my ground vehicles I purchased a couple of the Heavy Duty line from Hobby King. These have impressed me as well. Unfortunately I just found a 4s one puffed slightly because I regrettably left it charged for a long time and this is my fault. Both are soft packs with blue shrink. 4s . 5000mah . 60-120c discharge

I should put in a vote for Turnigy also. I have several smaller ones for air models but for my ground vehicles I purchased a couple of the Heavy Duty line from Hobby King. These have impressed me as well. Unfortunately I just found a 4s one puffed slightly because I regrettably left it charged for a long time and this is my fault. Both are soft packs with blue shrink. 4s . 5000mah . 60-120c discharge
Ive kind of decided to go down the turnigy route and after scouring hobbykings site last night put an order in for some 5500 140c rapids was gonna ho with a new charger aswell but the one i wanted was out of stock so will stick with the imax for now thanks for your advice ?

My Max8 came with a cap pack. Considering it's free, would you still just leave it in the box? I didn't bother with it so far, but this thread reminded me..

I'm using the ESC in a SWB Truck (MT410), so no wild speeds.
Ive kind of decided to go down the turnigy route and after scouring hobbykings site last night put an order in for some 5500 140c rapids was gonna ho with a new charger aswell but the one i wanted was out of stock so will stick with the imax for now thanks for your advice ?
I'm not sure those are the best choice. Did you deliberately go for a 2P pack?
You don't need even half of that C-Rating. And I suspect having twice as many cells will not help in the durability department.

Last edited:
My Max8 came with a cap pack. Considering it's free, would you still just leave it in the box? I didn't bother with it so far, but this thread reminded me..

I'm using the ESC in a SWB Truck (MT410), so no wild speeds.

I'm not sure those are the best choice. Did you deliberately go for a 2P pack?
You don't need even half of that C-Rating. And I suspect having twice as many cells will not help in the durability department.

It wont do any harm but it wont give you any extra performance at all.. and adds weight.
There is one potential use for them where you have motor/esc combo which is electrically noisy where that additional capacitance above what your esc already has, can absorb and flatten out the voltage spikes... which will increase the life of all your electrical components.

You most likely don't.. but unfortunately the only way to tell 100% is if you have an osciloscope..
I wouldnt bother unless I was experiencing brown outs and wanted to rule out excessive voltage spikes as being a cause of that.

If your ESC comes with a cap pack... the manufacturers are suggesting that it might be electrically 'noisy' without it.. and thats different. I'd use it then.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back