Paddle tire question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OG*GOBLIN

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Kraton EXB
So we're expecting several inches of snow this weekend and I wanted to see what people recommend as far as running them on all 4 or just the back two. I've already placed an order for 2 to run on back and I've got 3.8 belted badlands on the front. How will this setup perform on powder/compact or ice? What do you think the steering will be like? Thanks all👍
Screenshot_20220126-195838.png

Sooooooo…

Ran paddles on the rear only of my K6 in sand n had no issues with anything.. they are not those, they are 3.8 slingshots I’m not sure if because they were similar in size it didn’t throw it off too much?

Just ran those dumont in a 2.2 on my senton in snow, Was doing fine unril
End of pack stripped input n started stripping diff.. not sure if that was due to tires being different sizes n throwing rotation off? I assume so..

Steering was fine on both rigs for me

What car are they going on?

Sooooooo…

Ran paddles on the rear only of my K6 in sand n had no issues with anything.. they are not those, they are 3.8 slingshots I’m not sure if because they were similar in size it didn’t throw it off too much?

Just ran those dumont in a 2.2 on my senton in snow, Was doing fine unril
End of pack stripped input n started stripping diff.. not sure if that was due to tires being different sizes n throwing rotation off? I assume so..

Steering was fine on both rigs for me

What car are they going on?
Hey thanks for sharing that and sorry to hear about the stripping. They're also going on a K6. With my last outing in the snow I just had the stock copperheads and they didn't do to well in the powder, but then again it was maybe 6 inches high.

Hey thanks for sharing that and sorry to hear about the stripping. They're also going on a K6. With my last outing in the snow I just had the stock copperheads and they didn't do to well in the powder, but then again it was maybe 6 inches high.
Break fix repeat all part of the fun right!?😂

Yea that 6in is tough to get through haha,

Like I said I was fine using the slingshots with the Kraton but the tires arent to far off(naturally they are thinner than Coppers) I don’t want to mislead you either, I think it could put some stress/bind on the drivetrain n maybe affect it long term? The dumonts are certainly different than coppers so I wud say it wud throw it of?.

Not to mention I honestly only see paddles on rear only of 2wd cars.. 🤔

Last edited:
Break fix repeat all part of the fun right!?😂

Yea that 6in is tough to get through haha,

Like I said I was fine using the slingshots with the Kraton but the tires are to far off(naturally they are thinner than Coppers) I don’t want to mislead you either, I think it could put some stress/bind on the drivetrain n maybe affect it long term? The dumonts are certainly different than coppers so I wud say it wud throw it of?.

Not to mention I honestly only see paddles on rear only of 2wd cars.. 🤔
Lol, paddles only on rear of RWD cars🤔
I'll give it a go this weekend and do my best to keep an eye on it, but like you said break fix repeat 🤪. I'll try to get some video of it.

I have dumont 2.8s on my Big Rock all for corner's. You're gonna have have more clearance than me, but for powder it's all about mometun and doesn't steer that well but fun, hardpack gonna wheelie soo much, steering ok tons of fun. On ice i'm afraid your gonna need studs. which i do and their awesome!

Lol, paddles only on rear of RWD cars🤔
I'll give it a go this weekend and do my best to keep an eye on it, but like you said break fix repeat 🤪. I'll try to get some video of it.
Yes wit the skinnies up front dune style!😂.

Best of luck man report back with some pics or a vid!👍

I have dumont 2.8s on my Big Rock all for corner's. You're gonna have have more clearance than me, but for powder it's all about mometun and doesn't steer that well but fun, hardpack gonna wheelie soo much, steering ok tons of fun. On ice i'm afraid your gonna need studs. which i do and their awesome!
Nice, after my last time out in the snow I'm really looking forward to seeing how the paddles will do. I probably should have gotten two for the front to help steer a little better. After watching vids I saw what you mean about momentum especially in taller snow.
Yes wit the skinnies up front dune style!😂.

Best of luck man report back with some pics or a vid!👍
I will try. I need one of those phone holders for the radio.
You wont strip any gears but you will cook the center diff fluid🔥🔥🔥
Anything to do to prevent that or with the terrain it is what it is?

If you're running 4wd, you must have the same size tires front and rear. Otherwise, the bigger tires spin faster than the smaller tires. That will cause stripped diffs, input gears, etc.
Yes, very much so.

Buuuuut... in very slippery conditions like sand or snow where you'd see paddles, you're more likely to "diff-out" and burn up your front if you aren't running paddles there too. Which would be the complete opposite of diff binding from competing tire sizes.

As said above you want paddles all around on a 4WD car or the front will have less traction in snow, meaning worse steering and more diffing out. They don't work well on hard surfaces like ice and will wear quickly. Studs or chains are the way to go there.

Only issue of note with my paddles is their propensity for absolutely filling the chassis with snow more quickly than other tires. Fronts throw it up under the wheel wells and all over the rear suspension components. Rear mudguards don't seem to help much. It's a mess.

As said above you want paddles all around on a 4WD car or the front will have less traction in snow, meaning worse steering and more diffing out. They don't work well on hard surfaces like ice and will wear quickly. Studs or chains are the way to go there.

Only issue of note with my paddles is their propensity for absolutely filling the chassis with snow more quickly than other tires. Fronts throw it up under the wheel wells and all over the rear suspension components. Rear mudguards don't seem to help much. It's a mess.
Ok, I'll need to order 2 more than. Snow filling up the inside was a big problem too. I couldn't believe it was still working after I took the body off. Everything was almost covered with snow...I couldn't see the top of the ESC or servo😂.

Yeah paddles all around, best. Keep rollout the same all 4's. Equal bite all around.
Paddles draw much in amps because of the extreme bite, temps can even be an issue, despite the cold ambient temps. Hopefully the fans won't get all snow bound and stop spinning. Drivetrain issues usually crop up. Runtimes will be shorter. Especially with the deep heavy snow
Govern yourself accordingly.

Yeah, I would avoid deep and/or wet snow as it will put a ton of load on the drivetrain and power system and slow you down a lot. I find it more frustrating than entertaining to run R/C cars in such conditions. A few inches of fresh powder is the most fun, as well as studs on ice.

Yeah paddles all around, best. Keep rollout the same all 4's. Equal bite all around.
Paddles draw much in amps because of the extreme bite, temps can even be an issue, despite the cold ambient temps. Hopefully the fans won't get all snow bound and stop spinning. Drivetrain issues usually crop up. Runtimes will be shorter. Especially with the deep heavy snow
Govern yourself accordingly.
Yeah I'll do it cautiously but still trying to have fun with it. I'll be using my blx for the snow. Maybe I'll switch the power to 50 or 75% on the slt3. I'm holding off for the nicer weather for the EXB with those fans.
Yeah, I would avoid deep and/or wet snow as it will put a ton of load on the drivetrain and power system and slow you down a lot. I find it more frustrating than entertaining to run R/C cars in such conditions. A few inches of fresh powder is the most fun, as well as studs on ice.
From the looks of the time line for snow I'll be at work when it starts. So I won't get a chance to run it before it accumulates. I'll have to find a good spot to run the day after. Not going to try running it in like 6 or more inches. It's just going to get stuck. Thank you for the info 👍

Last edited:
If I get a set of snow tires I am going to get only back wheels. If I don't like it that way I will get another pair. So I would recommend doing that. I use silicon earplugs and that will lock the diff making diffing out not a problem.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back