Paint cracked in the last colour… so gutted!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robii

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Typhon 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
D29F1245-9286-4AAF-A7C5-877F672D4B18.jpeg
Hi Guys,

I need some help!

I’ve been painting my own shell for the first time, I was having great fun and it was looking really good (for a beginner!)…. Untill this morning when I sprayed on some Tamiya neon orange (finishing highlights) and this happened!! 😩

Does anyone know what went wrong??

BFD1BBC2-3DB7-46C2-940A-8B1052900075.jpeg

So close to what I think would have been a pretty cool looking body….

Attachments

• 2B520E67-F3F1-4F8D-A11E-1680D26A7EAE.jpeg
    2B520E67-F3F1-4F8D-A11E-1680D26A7EAE.jpeg
    330.3 KB · Views: 82
Interested myself as I'm about to paint my first.

What colour did you spray first? Looks like the colour on top doesn't adhere to the one underneath.

Edited: looks more like the second sprayed colour dissolved (not sure if this is the right word) the colour underneath. Are they maybe different based like water based and solvent based?

Yeh any help you could give us @Ajag would be great!!
What colour did you spray first? Looks like the colour on top doesn't adhere to the one underneath.

Edited: looks more like the second sprayed colour dissolved (not sure if this is the right word) the colour underneath. Are they maybe different based like water based and solvent based?
i think your right, Here’s all the culprits in order of application. (Left to right)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Must've been the black paint. My guess is that it doesn't specify it's suitable for polycarbonate. I can't imagine a you would have this problem when layering Tamiya-specific paints

Interested myself as I'm about to paint my first.
Same, my nero body shell is worn out.
View attachment 170887Hi Guys,

I need some help!

I’ve been painting my own shell for the first time, I was having great fun and it was looking really good (for a beginner!)…. Untill this morning when I sprayed on some Tamiya neon orange (finishing highlights) and this happened!! 😩

View attachment 170886
I really think that texture looks cool.

Yeh any help you could give us @Ajag would be great!!

i think your right, Here’s all the culprits in order of application. (Left to right)
It’s because you mixed an enamel paint (black) with the polycarbonate paints ..which are lacquer based paints ..the two don’t play well together when wet

If you need to mix these 2 paints you need to make sure they’re very dry

Or just stick with all lacquer

I did a typhon recently that looked similar to yours

4C6AB332-83DC-4EA5-BF7A-1C606CFA19DD.jpeg

D5ED544E-8406-4245-8467-2A28239686D6.jpeg

72F9159C-4266-434D-B9C9-4AF6C5F27B4F.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 170887Hi Guys,

I need some help!

View attachment 170886
May have to put an Arrma forum sticker over it 😉😆

It’s because you mixed an enamel paint (black) with the polycarbonate paints ..which are lawyer based paints ..the two don’t play well together when wet

View attachment 170893

View attachment 170894

View attachment 170895
Similar? As in my grandkids kindergarten drawing vs the Mona Lisa? 🤣✌🏻

It’s because you mixed an enamel paint (black) with the polycarbonate paints ..which are lacquer based paints ..the two don’t play well together when wet

View attachment 170893

View attachment 170894

View attachment 170895

That looks sooooo cool @Ajag 😮🤩

As much as it pains me I’ve got to agree with @jondilly1974, I think mine might have looked cool but not next to that…
At least I’m going to get some more time to practice now! 😅

PS thanks for this “It’s because you mixed an enamel paint (black) with the polycarbonate paints” @Ajag

Do you have a YouTube channel or a shop?

Lacquer and enamel don't mix. Paint buildup is a system, everything must be compatible from substrate to solvent to polymer solids. Good looking body, I hope you can still use it.

Definitely the mixing paints like mentioned above. Also didn't turn out horrible still a good looking body just not perfect as you wanted. Guess this will be your basher body now and then grab another to paint up for a shelf body👍🏼

From a guy who did lot of painting : never ever mix diffrent brands. gives the biggest chance of trouble.
some times it goes wel but mostley just problems.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back