Paint outside of body?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshludden

Thai guy in Iowa
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Typhon 6s
Hello all, I've got a v5 typhon 6s that I want to spruce up a bit with some paint on a budget. I've never painted anything (not counting walls or ceilings!😅) like this before. I am just going to paint the exterior of the body. Not too worried if it gets a little beat up. The wing & front shock tower protects it pretty well.
I just have a few questions about how to go about this.
The inside of the body is white, did they paint the colors 1st then back it w/ white? I plan on using some of the decals as templates for trim colors/ contrast (like the windows, maybe some stripes etc). Just wondering if I painted over them, then removed the decals what will it look like underneath? I searched around a good bit & found some of info I need -washing, scuffing, then washing again, light coats etc. But do I need to prime it or use some kind of adhesive coat beforehand? Thanks in advance for any pointers/ advice that you all can throw my way!!

Painting on the inside is the recommended approach because you get protection from the body that protected the paint. Also when new you get a crazy beautiful shine. painting outside is going to get a lot more abuse.

Painting on the inside is the recommended approach because you get protection from the body that protected the paint. Also when new you get a crazy beautiful shine. painting outside is going to get a lot more abuse.
Yeah, I know but I don't have a new clear body. I'm just going to paint the one that came with the car. 🤷‍♂️

Hello all, I've got a v5 typhon 6s that I want to spruce up a bit with some paint on a budget. I've never painted anything (not counting walls or ceilings!😅) like this before. I am just going to paint the exterior of the body. Not too worried if it gets a little beat up. The wing & front shock tower protects it pretty well.
I just have a few questions about how to go about this.
The inside of the body is white, did they paint the colors 1st then back it w/ white? I plan on using some of the decals as templates for trim colors/ contrast (like the windows, maybe some stripes etc). Just wondering if I painted over them, then removed the decals what will it look like underneath? I searched around a good bit & found some of info I need -washing, scuffing, then washing again, light coats etc. But do I need to prime it or use some kind of adhesive coat beforehand? Thanks in advance for any pointers/ advice that you all can throw my way!!

If you paint outside still use paint made for Polycarbonate (Lexan) it's made to be flexible, using a acrylic or enamel will make the body more brittle.

If you paint outside still use paint made for Polycarbonate (Lexan) it's made to be flexible, using a acrylic or enamel will make the body more brittle.
So, no primer or adhesive coat or anything? I can just start shooting colors after prep?

So, no primer or adhesive coat or anything? I can just start shooting colors after prep?
That I'm sure of as of most people paint the body from the inside, I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction.

I would recommend the inside as well.

But whatever side you choose.

Clean and degrease the surface a couple times first.

Then scuff up lightly with a scotchbrite pad (don't go nuts, just build some tooth).

Spray the first coat super light (tack coat) and your next coats can be a bit heavier.

Thick coats will be horrible and peel. Many light coats is best.

Good luck

Painted this one two nights ago (on the inside)

IMG_20220418_225037.jpg

IMG_20220418_235118.jpg

IMG_20220418_235115.jpg

IMG_20220419_014016.jpg

The inside of the body is white, did they paint the colors 1st then back it w/ white?
Yes.

I plan on using some of the decals as templates for trim colors/ contrast (like the windows, maybe some stripes etc). Just wondering if I painted over them, then removed the decals what will it look like underneath?
Under the decals will be unpainted. Make sure to remove decals/tape before fully cured to get a clean line. If you wait to long the line will tear and be jagged.

I searched around a good bit & found some of info I need -washing, scuffing, then washing again, light coats etc. But do I need to prime it or use some kind of adhesive coat beforehand?
No primer required but me personally I'm experimenting with a 1k adhesion promoter meant for headlights. But that's me, you do you.

Last edited:
I would recommend the inside as well.

But whatever side you choose.

Clean and degrease the surface a couple times first.

Then scuff up lightly with a scotchbrite pad (don't go nuts, just build some tooth).

Spray the first coat super light (tack coat) and your next coats can be a bit heavier.

Thick coats will be horrible and peel. Many light coats is best.

Good luck

Painted this one two nights ago (on the inside)

View attachment 213075
View attachment 213074
View attachment 213073
View attachment 213072
Looks great! But, like I mentioned before I just want to spruce up the body that came with the car & not have to buy a new clear body. Plus, I kinda want to prototype a color scheme for when I do get a new body & I don't want to waste my $$ with my super crappy painting skills!!!😆
I'm planning on having @WildOwlWoodWorks do a body for me when my funds are right & this way I think I can have clearer picture of what I want

Looks great! But, like I mentioned before I just want to spruce up the body that came with the car & not have to buy a new clear body. Plus, I kinda want to prototype a color scheme for when I do get a new body & I don't want to waste my $$ with my super crappy painting skills!!!😆
I'm planning on having @WildOwlWoodWorks do a body for me when my funds are right & this way I think I can have clearer picture of what I want
I think after you prep the body just spray a coat of white down, because in you don't might have a uneven looking paint job from the original graphics showing thru.

I have painted some small parts before, but not a entire body.

Good luck.

It's cool. I'm down. I don't mind how you paint it at all. On the outside I would use the adhesion promoter to make it last longer. No one else will tell you that on here.

Always wanted to paint a rust under the lexan and a metallic over the lexan so the scuffs would reveal rust.

It's just not how most people do it.

It's cool. I'm down. I don't mind how you paint it at all. On the outside I would use the adhesion promoter to make it last longer. No one else will tell you that on here.

Always wanted to paint a rust under the lexan and a metallic over the lexan so the scuffs would reveal rust.

It's just not how most people do it.
That'd look cool! I really like some of the fauxtina looking paint jobs I've seen on here.. Am I right to assume that I need to use something to get all the decal adhesive off? Can I use goof off or should I use something else like mineral spirits?
Also, thanks a lot for the info. I guess painting is kinda like everything else in this hobby- a lot of trial & error. I'm just trying to minimize the error side 😂👍🤙

That'd look cool! I really like some of the fauxtina looking paint jobs I've seen on here.. Am I right to assume that I need to use something to get all the decal adhesive off? Can I use goof off or should I use something else like mineral spirits?
Also, thanks a lot for the info. I guess painting is kinda like everything else in this hobby- a lot of trial & error. I'm just trying to minimize the error side 😂👍🤙
Removing decals? Try to get them off cleanly. I usually use Wax and Grease remover for cleaning. Make sure it is compatible with your materials....test a bit first

If you are painting the body you probably want to remove everything and anything then make it as clean as possible, then scuff.

You can probably paint over the decals, I wouldn't mind, but that's because I know my body will be ruined from abuse real soon so just better plan for the next paint job :)
I think after you prep the body just spray a coat of white down, because in you don't might have a uneven looking paint job from the original graphics showing thru.

I have painted some small parts before, but not a entire body.

Good luck.
This is probably good advice because the paints are mostly transparent so you will see what is below for many coats.

Look at the orange stripe in my photos. It took many layer after layer to build up the 🍊

Could Always use some dot4 brake fluid and elbow grease and just remove the paint on the inside.
Ugh, that sounds like way more work/ mess than I'm willing to do 😂 I'll more than likely just screw with the outside. thanks for the option tho👍🤙

Just paint the outside and be done with it. And when you get tired of paint colors paint it again lol. It’s going past you anyways )

14AA25DB-0781-43AB-9CCC-AA84C179C115.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back