Paint over factory paint

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious!! Has anyone painted over and existing body. That has came out of the box. Have a few bodies that I was thinking of doing this too. Any tips or tricks or ideals would be appreciated.
Yep, I've painted the outside of all my stocker bodies. It'll eventually flake off but meh. You'll need to scuff up the surface with a scotch Brite pad, then wash thoroughly with dawn before you paint it.
These are the last 2 I did, they were brand new from Jenny's- I just took all the decals off 1st

20230217_083434.jpg

20230217_091329.jpg

20230223_171234.jpg

20230310_010319.jpg

Yep, I've painted the outside of all my stocker bodies. It'll eventually flake off but meh. You'll need to scuff up the surface with a scotch Brite pad, then wash thoroughly with dawn before you paint it.
These are the last 2 I did, they were brand new from Jenny's- I just took all the decals off 1st

View attachment 287528

View attachment 287529

View attachment 287530

View attachment 287531
Nice Job!! I was thinking that's the way to do it. Just nice to see what others have done. Thanks for sharing.

You can strip the paint out of pre-painted bodies and respray them to your own liking. I did that with the body of my Infraction. Is it a lot of work? Yes. Whether or not it's worth it depends on if you have more time or more money. :)

Nice Job!! I was thinking that's the way to do it. Just nice to see what others have done. Thanks for shari

You can strip the paint out of pre-painted bodies and respray them to your own liking. I did that with the body of my Infraction. Is it a lot of work? Yes. Whether or not it's worth it depends on if you have more time or more money. :)
I can see that and no I don't think it would be worth it. Maybe by a clear one and then do it my way.

I sprayed the outside of my SCX6 with Tamaya flat clearcoat and black fender wells, to make it look a little more scale, masking around the big OEM stickers, that I wanted to preserve. As others have mentioned, it scratches easier, but overall the paint is definitely holding up well - adhering and not flaking and looks pretty good. If you coordinate your under colors with your over colors, the scratches can look decent… Like metal or rust underneath or something.

7E595624-9E06-49C3-93BA-B069BF77E33A.jpeg

I sprayed the outside of my SCX6 with Tamaya flat clearcoat and black fender wells, to make it look a little more scale, masking around the big OEM stickers, that I wanted to preserve. As others have mentioned, it scratches easier, but overall the paint is definitely holding up well - adhering and not flaking and looks pretty good. If you coordinate your under colors with your over colors, the scratches can look decent… Like metal or rust underneath or something.

View attachment 287715
I like it and it looks good. Thanks for sharing

View attachment 287715
Incredible Crawler/body there!! :cool:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back