Painting clear body + reinforcemente

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrQQ

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Hi guys ?
I'm planning to make a new body. Metallic orange with black stripes ☺️☺️ I'm also planning to use shoe for and dry wall tape. I've already bought all the material, including Tamiya ps paints.
But recently I've seen some reports where shoe goo solves the paint. Does anyone applies shoe go over Tamiya ps paint?

Also, I bought a pink dry wall tape. ? But I want the inside to be black. What can I use that sticks to shoe goo?

I'm not a paint pro by any means, but once you paint the inside the colors you want, let it dry then shoot it with black. The paint should stick to the body without issue, as long as you make sure you clean it properly. Remember to make sure that each coat dries before adding a new color. It's cheating the process that leads to poor results. @Crewchief227 is an expert painter and might have some other good tips. Once all the painting is done and dry, spread the shoe goo to the areas you want to cover, then add the tape section by section. It takes a long time to do it right, but when you do, the results are pretty amazing. Just know that no matter how much you reinforce the body, it's how you drive it that determines how long it will last.

If you back the body with black, it will darken the paint. If you back it with white, it will lighten it. If you want a uniform color, keep backing it with the same paint. You don’t have to back with white or black.

I have mettallic orange, black and silver. I want a strong vivid orange... I'm thinking about backing with silver. But I want it on the darkside... And i'm affraid that silver may be too bright. And i think that backing with black will make it too dark... I'll try to do some tests before painting.
I'm aware that the body will not be indestructible... But since it is my first one, I want it to last as long as possible :p
I was also thinking of two layers of drywall tape with thin layers of shoe goo.
@Notorious J do you cover all the inside of your car or just weak spots? How many layers?

As anyone ever tried to put the decals on the inside? I was thinking about making a copy of the decal sheet that could be applied on the inside. I'm not going to use many decals. But I'd like to see how the head/tail lights look if sticked on the inside...

I have mettallic orange, black and silver. I want a strong vivid orange... I'm thinking about backing with silver. But I want it on the darkside... And i'm affraid that silver may be too bright. And i think that backing with black will make it too dark... I'll try to do some tests before painting.
I'm aware that the body will not be indestructible... But since it is my first one, I want it to last as long as possible :p
@Notorious J do you cover all the inside of your car or just weak spots? How many layers?

As anyone ever tried to put the decals on the inside? I was thinking about making a copy of the decal sheet that could be applied on the inside. I'm not going to use many decals. But I'd like to see how the head/tail lights look if sticked on the inside...
Decals would have to be printed on white labels and possibly backed with white before any other color is applied. But, it could work. Test some sheets of lexan.

Yes I have seen people do it, they used some sort of adhesive that was designed for pictures, I can't remember what it was called or who posted it on this forum. All I can remember is that his windshield was the cockpit from the Millenium Falcon.

Decals would have to be printed on white labels and possibly backed with white before any other color is applied. But, it could work. Test some sheets of lexan.
Yeah I'll do that... But wouldn't be better it they were printed in transparent? Do scanners identify transparent? Haven't thought about that... So, it should be almost impossible to make a perfect copy of the decal sheet?

I've also read about that glue @slick2500 . I think it's xxmain picture glue. But from what I understood is that it is appropriate for magazines, comikbooks... In other words, very thin paper. I don't know if it works on plastified decals...

Yeah I'll do that... But wouldn't be better it they were printed in transparent? Do scanners identify transparent? Haven't thought about that... So, it should be almost impossible to make a perfect copy of the decal poop?

I've also read about that glue @slick2500 . I think it's xxmain picture glue. But from what I understood is that it is appropriate for magazines, comikbooks... In other words, very thin paper. I don't know if it works on plastified decals...
Printers can’t print white, so as long as your print doesn’t need white then you can do transparent labels. I bought some recently and went thru this process. I’m not stickering on the inside so I will just cut mine with an xacto knife.

Printers can’t print white, so as long as your print doesn’t need white then you can do transparent labels. I bought some recently and went thru this process. I’m not stickering on the inside so I will just cut mine with an xacto knife.
Makes sense... ?? So if you have stickers with transparent border and white details (letters for example) all the white is lost?

Makes sense... ?? So if you have stickers with transparent border and white details (letters for example) all the white is lost?
Yep, the printer assumes the paper is white. Anything white will be blank. Now, I’ve thought about painting white on the inside of the body exactly where my stickers need it, but that’s doing too much for me. I will just carefully cut them.

I'm not a paint pro by any means, but once you paint the inside the colors you want, let it dry then shoot it with black. The paint should stick to the body without issue, as long as you make sure you clean it properly. Remember to make sure that each coat dries before adding a new color. It's cheating the process that leads to poor results. @Crewchief227 is an expert painter and might have some other good tips. Once all the painting is done and dry, spread the shoe goo to the areas you want to cover, then add the tape section by section. It takes a long time to do it right, but when you do, the results are pretty amazing. Just know that no matter how much you reinforce the body, it's how you drive it that determines how long it will last.
Thanks @Notorious J that's a big compliment. Like previously mentioned prep is the key to paint success. I wash with dish soap, and then still scuff with a scotch brite. After laying in your final backing color make sure to give it at least 48 hours to cure before reinforcing with shoe goo. The shoe goo is caustic, even to rattle can enamels, you might find some of your paint melt if you over work the shoe goo. Single finger swipes. If using drywall tape tack it down with some goo, don't worry about corners and creases, let that sit then come back and work the corners, otherwise it just slides around, and again will melt your paint.

I have been doing a bunch of experimenting and the xxxmain picture glue does NOT work for vinyl decals. It will work fine for self-made paper ones or water slide... but it will not adhere to the printed vinyl sticker.

HOWEVER... Testors Clear Parts Cement and Window Maker (comes in a triangular bottle) works very well and remains flexible with vinyl stickers. The worst part of the whole process is that you need to soak the trimmed and ready to install sticker in 90% rubbing alcohol for a few seconds and then use a paper towel to remove the original adhesive.

Paint will NOT stick to the adhesive.

You will need to scotch brite the inside of the body where the sticker is going... then after the sticker dries you will need to lightly scotch brite the back of it to ensure the paint will stick.

Here are my test pieces.
20190829_012454.jpg
20190829_012509.jpg
20190829_012519.jpg

I would definitely keep this technique to lights, body details, and maybe windows... doing every sponsor decal would leave you stranded with your decision.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back