Painting outside

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BashingBrian

#ArrmaAddict #RCwhore
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Outcast 8s
  4. Outcast EXB
  5. Talion EXB
  6. Typhon 6s
Quick question, I need to paint a couple of bodies..
What would you say is the lowest average temp safe enough to do a good job and not have the paint turn to ?..??

I don’t have a garage or anywhere indoors, so has to be done in the garden..??

Quick question, I need to paint a couple of bodies..
What would you say is the lowest average temp safe enough to do a good job and not have the paint turn to ?..??

I don’t have a garage or anywhere indoors, so has to be done in the garden..??
This is a perfect question for @Crewchief227

Throw on your oven to the lowest temp. Crack the door open a bit and let the heat warm up the body some. Take it out give as many coats as you deem necessary then immediately place it back near the oven, trying to keep the body as warm as possible. The heat from the oven will actually help cure the paint a lil faster as well. Rinse and repeat until you're good! I live in an apartment complex, so I have to do that as well.

This body here I painted during the middle of a snow storm here with this method!

I agree that room temperature is your ideal temperature but I would say that 55 would probably be the lowest I would go for true paint and leave outside temperature. This is why I am sooooooo happy that I got into airbrushing. I paint in my house all year round and don't have to worry about temperatures and most of the airbrush paints don't have any fumes. I recently learned that Spaz Stix airbrush paints do have fumes though.

I agree that room temperature is your ideal temperature but I would say that 55 would probably be the lowest I would go for true paint and leave outside temperature. This is why I am sooooooo happy that I got into airbrushing. I paint in my house all year round and don't have to worry about temperatures and most of the airbrush paints don't have any fumes. I recently learned that Spaz Stix airbrush paints do have fumes though.
What brand of airbrush paint work well with rc bodys? I just got a airbrush gun and compressor and have not bought paint or used it yet.

What brand of airbrush paint work well with rc bodys? I just got a airbrush gun and compressor and have not bought paint or used it yet.
Also curious now, to a fairly cheap, decent airbrush setup!?

I have had great luck with Mission Models RC Paints as well as Proline RC Paints. I also have purchased some Createx clear to add metallic flake and pearl powders to but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but have read great things about the Createx paints on RC bodies. Hopefully within the next few weeks I get to try it out. I have also received some RcAir paints (Badger brand for rc bodies) for free from my airbrush being defective out of the box and they sent it along with the fix for my airbrush but, again, haven't tried it out yet.

The main thing I look for when it comes to RC airbrush paint is that it is water based. All of the ones I have are water based so they don't have fumes. I still wear a particulate mask so that I don't inhale any paint mist though.

This is a perfect question for @Crewchief227
I wouldn't go lower than about 60°f to spray in. Most important is the temp of the paint itself. Try to keep it indoors, if you store it in a garage or unheated shed bring in the cans for 48hrs prior to spraying, give them a shake every 4-6 hours (about 3-4 times daily). You can spray outdoors in sub 50° temps so long as your paint & body are at room temp. Let it off gas for 45 minutes outside, then bring them in to completely cure overnight. You'll still get some "paint" smell, but nothing that's dangerous or won't air out in a day. Let the color sit a good 24hrs before attempting backing coat of white (or black). Dry indoors after backing for 48hrs if you plan on Shoe Gooing or reinforcing the body. Shoe Goo can soften the backing layer so don't overwork it. One pass with your finger, if you try and work it you're gonna have a bad time. Hope this helps.??

I have had great luck with Mission Models RC Paints as well as Proline RC Paints. I also have purchased some Createx clear to add metallic flake and pearl powders to but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but have read great things about the Createx paints on RC bodies. Hopefully within the next few weeks I get to try it out. I have also received some RcAir paints (Badger brand for rc bodies) for free from my airbrush being defective out of the box and they sent it along with the fix for my airbrush but, again, haven't tried it out yet.

The main thing I look for when it comes to RC airbrush paint is that it is water based. All of the ones I have are water based so they don't have fumes. I still wear a particulate mask so that I don't inhale any paint mist though.
Thanks for sharing this info. I'm excited to try out airbrushing. I got a compressor and gun from my wife's work her boss thought the compressor was broken turned out to be just a bad o-ring in the pressure relief valve and as for the gun it was just lack of maintenance.

Also curious now, to a fairly cheap, decent airbrush setup!?
I have used Createx Autoborne water based paint, but nothing beats a solvent based enamel like testors. The best "cheap" airbrush for occasional use is a Badger Patriot. About $60, for $40 more the iwata eclipse HP-CS is the best all around airbrush. You also don't need a "airbrush" specific compressor, so long as you have a decent regulator is what's important. Don't get any airbrush combo off Amazon. The Master branded stuff is complete junk, and time & time again has proven it's disappointment to scores of people. Disclaimer I also run the r/airbrush subreddit, so any other questions you can find my answers there.

I have used Createx Autoborne water based paint, but nothing beats a solvent based enamel like testors. The best "cheap" airbrush for occasional use is a Badger Patriot. About $60, for $40 more the iwata eclipse HP-CS is the best all around airbrush. You also don't need a "airbrush" specific compressor, so long as you have a decent regulator is what's important. Don't get any airbrush combo off Amazon. The Master branded stuff is complete junk, and time & time again has proven it's disappointment to scores of people. Disclaimer I also run the r/airbrush subreddit, so any other questions you can find my answers there.
Thank you, great info to start on and look into. My username, affiliated with your subreddit haha, is very similar to this one. So you might recognize me asking around there in the future!! Thanks again.

Thanks for the advice everybody...???

The smell isn't my issue just wasn't sure about the cold, my bodies and paint are always stored indoors so I'm good from that point of view
Think I'll give it a try this weekend as the weather is supposed to be in the mid to high 50's.
I'll do light coats then bring it indoors, rinse and repeat..???

Gonna ask a really stupid question, @Crewchief227 is an airbrush just for detailing or can you paint a complete body..??

The smell isn't my issue just wasn't sure about the cold, my bodies and paint are always stored indoors so I'm good from that point of view
Think I'll give it a try this weekend as the weather is supposed to be in the mid to high 50's.

Gonna ask a really stupid question, @Crewchief227 is an airbrush just for detailing or can you paint a complete body..??
I know you directed this at @Crewchief227 but I wanted to help out. Also, that's not a stupid question at all. If you don't know the answer and don't ask, that is far stupider in my opinion.

That's how I paint my complete bodies. Even my single color paint job bodies.

I put my large needle (0.75mm) in for painting large areas and use my medium needle (0.50mm) medium sized areas and my small needle (0.25mm) for fine details.

I normally stick to the large and medium since I don't really do much, if any, fine detail work. I also got a quiet air compressor (California Air Tools) that I run in my basement below my wife's bedroom and she can't hear it when she is asleep.

You can do an entire body, I've done an entire building? . Distance & feathering, don't be in a rush. I have 6 airbrushes all in different tip sizes. If you just want a nice in between get a .5mm bottom fed like an iwata HP-BCS. You can do kinda detailed, to a whole lot, plus bottom feeds allow more paint to be mixed and loaded without fear of having to match colors.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back