parts and tools - storage and organization recs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike k

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 6s
TL;DR - what's the best setup for storing spare parts and tools for RC cars? Ideally portable...

As my tools and parts proliferate, we are outgrowing the little cardboard box all the stuff is thrown in. Not knowing where this is all going, but seemingly accumulating more parts every week, I'd like perspective. For climbing, skiing, cycling I know exactly what I need even through I'll never be done acquiring new gear, but for RC I have no idea where the asymptote is...

We have an outcast 6s now. May end up with a MT410 also at some point. But that's going to be the limit, I swear :)

For parts, it feels like I'd like to have room for the bits and bobs like bags of shock ends (currently keep those in the bags they come in, and that seems like a good strategy for me); some spare wheels/tires (I imagine we may branch out from the stock tires at some point, although we'll see); bearings; other frequently broken things like wing mounts maybe; not sure what else people keep on hand. Don't have an LHS. Show me your storage systems? Do you have one with quick fix items to take with you when you run the car, and one that stays in the shop?

For tools, I have a handful of drivers, the basic tools that came with the rig, a shock multi-tool, a couple pliers. Plus a growing collection of lubes and presumably will need some diff oils and who knows what else. What's the best toolbox for RC cars?

My son has sweetly offered to make me a box, so one of these could even be designed to order! Pics or better links to your ideal setups would be much appreciated!

I don't take a lot of parts with me when I run my trucks. Just basic nuts/bolts/washers, pinions, ball ends, spare turnbuckles, etc. I don't carry a full set of shocks, arms, towers or anything like that. I take at least 2 trucks when I bash, so if one gets messed up, I have another and when both are too busted to continue, I go home.

I use those clam shell divided tackle box things for the little parts.

The rest are generally specific to the part type that I keep at home. One for traxxas small parts, bearing box, clutch/bell/flywheel/shim box, large misc box with various stuff. My take along box is the most diverse. The one on the far right is my take along box.
2019-0201-PartsBoxes.jpg

My tool bag I take is what I also keep on my bench which has most of my RC hand tools in it:
2019-0816-ToolBag.jpg

I load that into my hauler bag along with battery packs/fuel, camera, box of zipties, etc and usually stack up 2 trucks in it.

My ERBE and stampede 4x4 in the bag along with everything else I take:
2019-0203-NewHPIBag-ERBE-Stampede.jpg

I do have a 3 or 4 of those 3 sliding drawer things at home for my parts as well as a couple shelves on a rack full of tires/fuel etc.
2020-0524-TruckRack-NoSavageX.jpg

Tough to keep track of what I have and find room for it when you live in an apartment.

For me, everything is an eye soar. All my tools get put away when I'm done in the tool box where I found them. The only remanence left when I'm done is a couple chargers on my work bench. Everything else is gone, outta here!.. All my stuff is shelfed behind a black, nylon, garage, separation curtain. If I have to throw something up on the bench, I want to do it NOW. Not wait to clean other crap off of it so I keep it clean all the time. Just me though..

@olds97_lss I'm having an OCD moment looking at your work space. ? :LOL:

Oh gawd. I think I need to get out of this hobby before I accumulate that much baggage.

For me, everything is an eye soar. All my tools get put away when I'm done in the tool box where I found them. The only remanence left when I'm done is a couple chargers on my work bench. Everything else is gone, outta here!.. All my stuff is shelfed behind a black, nylon, garage, separation curtain. If I have to throw something up on the bench, I want to do it NOW. Not wait to clean other crap off of it so I keep it clean all the time. Just me though..

@olds97_lss I'm having an OCD moment looking at your work space. ? :LOL:
My wife kind of has mini-panic attacks when she comes into my office... but I only have so much room, so the stuff has to go somewhere. I have 10 trucks and the parts support for them is a bit annoying. On rare occasion, I'll clean my work bench off completely, but it only lasts about a month and I have an inexplicable pile of random screws, bolts, washers, plastic bits, wire bits in a pile again. I'm content if the area under the truck stand is clear. lol!

If I got rid of the last savage, that would clear out a drawer... or two.

I have 2 new chargers and a 24V 70A psu coming... the D7 has issues and is going in a box in a closet, but I have to figure out how to put the chargers/psu in the spot it's currently taking. :(

So I missed this thread somehow but am searching for a go to storage for parts. I currently have a large overflowing bin full of parts in random bags from JRC. Nothing really is easy to find. It’s somewhat sorted but they all look alike and finding the one bag I need is hard. I don’t mind spending a few bucks if it makes keeping tabs on parts much easier. Would be nice to be able to grab and take with me for when I travel with an RC and want to bring parts. I would like one bin/box/bag per RC and have that have everything I need short of a chassis, tires, or body. This means having space for side guards, bumpers, etc. I would want a JRC bag of screws per kit too. Tools and other consumables will stay in my toolbox. This would just be for parts. Hoping a Stanley/DeWALT/Milwaukee case might do it for me. Something modular that could be stacked when I take multiple rigs.

I bought a box of small plastic zip lock bags that work great for screws, washers, rod ends, ect and easy to label, store, and find quickly because of it. I’ve been looking at a ”box” that has tackle like box on top with pull out drawers underneath. Tools easily accessible up top with parts on demand in drawer underneath. The drawers are locking also which limits fear of dumping out if not put in all the way.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OES59...olid=3R70PPF0ULT7C&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

CA7B66E4-4196-4822-B22E-C6FEA447249E.jpeg

That’s what I have already. Maybe they’re just too large.
I kinda keep them car by car, battery size by battery size (3s, 4s, 6s), but I keep blurring lines when I start throwing 185bkx esc's into my 4s rigs, and 120blx's into my 3s (now 4s...). Too many crossover parts to keep it all simple.

I bought a box of small plastic zip lock bags that work great for screws, washers, rod ends, ect and easy to label, store, and find quickly because of it. I’ve been looking at a ”box” that has tackle like box on top with pull out drawers underneath. Tools easily accessible up top with parts on demand in drawer underneath. The drawers are locking also which limits fear of dumping out if not put in all the way.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OES59...olid=3R70PPF0ULT7C&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I've started looking for something to put the few parts I have in bags into something more organized. I looked through their items and found this which I think is also nice.

https://www.amazon.com/Stalwart-75-...keywords=Plano+Molding&qid=1601755075&sr=8-24

I got the Plano one I linked and I’m very happy with it. Combined with my small ziplocks and p-touch label maker I’ve got things organized like a pro.

I've started looking for something to put the few parts I have in bags into something more organized. I looked through their items and found this which I think is also nice.

https://www.amazon.com/Stalwart-75-...keywords=Plano+Molding&qid=1601755075&sr=8-24
These work nice for screws/nuts/washers:
https://www.containerstore.com/s/lock-ups/d?q=lock-ups&productId=10028612

Can get them in various sizes and they lock into each other so you can stack them. I overbought the last time and have 4-5 stacked up in the closet. I made little cardboard dividers to split some of them in half internally. Didn't need a full cup for 100+ normal washers and 100+ fender washers...

Can see some that I use in the upper left behind the purple charger:
2020-0611-Chargers%26PSU.jpg

These work nice for screws/nuts/washers:
https://www.containerstore.com/s/lock-ups/d?q=lock-ups&productId=10028612

Can get them in various sizes and they lock into each other so you can stack them. I overbought the last time and have 4-5 stacked up in the closet. I made little cardboard dividers to split some of them in half internally. Didn't need a full cup for 100+ normal washers and 100+ fender washers...

Can see some that I use in the upper left behind the purple charger:
2020-0611-Chargers%26PSU.jpg

Just for reference. Is the bottom one an 12oz and the ones above 8oz?

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back