Felony Parts are inbound. I'm going to attempt... A Thing...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driftergtr

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I've had my felony since launch day, and in that time; I have based it, Dragged it and made some speed runs. Tonight I ordered a new motor.
TP5650 @ 2060 KV . Will it fit? Maybe. Probably going to require some good old fashioned shoe horning to run it in the stock location like I'm planning to, But worse case I'll just mount it on the side.
Castle XLX. She's old, but trusty. Then comes the gearing, and that's why I'm reaching out to you fellow RC Enthusiasts. Does anyone have some Ideas on where to start Gearing wise. I don't think the speed gear will really stress this motor, But I'm also giving up some RPM's with this trade for torque. I'll need to increase my tire budget once Horizon gets them in stock.

And, also while I have you attention. Does anyone have any thought on potentially shortening the canister on this motor while retaining the internals ?? Would this be a relatively small project, or should I just flip the mounts, and take the easy way out? I've never really a modified a motor that the extent I may have to.

You’ll need a mount that will accommodate the larger diameter to raise it up in order to clear the chassis but at 70mm long it should fit in the stock location without issue. May have to put a tight bend in the motor wires but that’s easy. For gearing the kv is pretty much the same as the stock blx 2050 so you don’t have to stray away from normal gearing, just buy pinions that are for a 8mm shaft

* edit *
something I just thought of is the possibility that there could be interference with how large the diameter of that motor is in relation to the front center driveshaft or the clearance on the cup that the shaft fits in on the center diff. The felony comes with a 46t spur so it may be an easy fix by switching to a regular 50t spur to get the motor over away from the center shaft. Most of the time when people run 56mm motors the kv is so much lower than stock it forces them to use larger pinions which move the motor away from the center shaft and clearance there isn’t an issue

Last edited:
I've had my felony since launch day, and in that time; I have based it, Dragged it and made some speed runs. Tonight I ordered a new motor.
TP5650 @ 2060 KV . Will it fit? Maybe. Probably going to require some good old fashioned shoe horning to run it in the stock location like I'm planning to, But worse case I'll just mount it on the side.
Castle XLX. She's old, but trusty. Then comes the gearing, and that's why I'm reaching out to you fellow RC Enthusiasts. Does anyone have some Ideas on where to start Gearing wise. I don't think the speed gear will really stress this motor, But I'm also giving up some RPM's with this trade for torque. I'll need to increase my tire budget once Horizon gets them in stock.

And, also while I have you attention. Does anyone have any thought on potentially shortening the canister on this motor while retaining the internals ?? Would this be a relatively small project, or should I just flip the mounts, and take the easy way out? I've never really a modified a motor that the extent I may have to.
You’re going from a 2050kv to a 2060kv... how are you losing RPMs?

You’re going from a 2050kv to a 2060kv... how are you losing RPMs?
To add to this.... technically speaking the Arrma 2050kv typically puts out a real 1920kv and TP Power motors tend to be very close to their rated KV value.
Also going from BLX 6s to XLX 8s.
Should be gaining RPM as @jondilly1974 mentioned.

For gearing you didn't mention what you are doing, but I'll assume you want 120+ mph speeds.
I would start in the 34/25 range and then work up from there. (this requires installing the limitless spool)

Regarding shortening the motor, I have never done it, but these are initial thoughts.
The process would be to remove the end caps and see where you could shave down the exterior can without damaging the windings and whatever considerations needed for screwing the end caps back on. Also need to make sure that the new position for the bearings on the shaft might need some modification?

While I'm thinking bout it. Are there any thoughts on also purchasing a 2580KV in the same canister. I have a 2900KV 4070 in my limitless already, but I'm really wanting a stock-ish look to this build.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back