Pb battery with charger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bean

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
Has anybody used a large Pb-battery to power a DC-input-capable charger, and used it ‘on the go’?

What do you need to do to use it? Make an alligator clip -> XT60 (or whatever your input is) connector, and just go?

Is it a good idea, or is it horrible to do?

Totally doable, but bad idea if you plan using it literally on the go, while moving on foot, because lead-acid batteries are heavy. Typical car/light truck battery weighs a ton, stores about 50-75 Ah at about 3S Li-Po voltage and doesn't like deep discharge, so you're lucky to get 25-35 Ah from it without sacrificing anything. Which roughly equals three 6S 5000 mAh packs MINUS all losses during conversion, charging and balancing.

If you plan to do that in your vehicle, it's perfectly fine, just watch the voltage and don't discharge your 12 V battery much.

I have a charger in my car, but learned the hard way that it's easy to drain too much... caused me to need a jump and it somewhere in the middle fried a servo for my HVAC which then broke a door flap. $1100 later... I now only charge if my engine is running. lol!

I have a charger in my car, but learned the hard way that it's easy to drain too much... caused me to need a jump and it somewhere in the middle fried a servo for my HVAC which then broke a door flap. $1100 later... I now only charge if my engine is running. lol!
Many DC chargers have LVC for the input...

My parents are thinking about getting a Land Cruiser 100 and installing a 2nd battery for these types of things, but I also want to get a large Pb-battery to be able to charge while walking around (with a charging setup in an ammo box on my back). So I am able to do that, if I get the correct charger?

My parents are thinking about getting a Land Cruiser 100 and installing a 2nd battery for these types of things, but I also want to get a large Pb-battery to be able to charge while walking around (with a charging setup in an ammo box on my back). So I am able to do that, if I get the correct charger?
If you get the correct charger and if you can walk around with all that weight on your back. How large are we talking about?

Enough to recharge some plane batteries, or enough to recharge 2 car batteries. So somewhere between 5 and 10 aH
If you get the correct charger and if you can walk around with all that weight on your back. How large are we talking about?
And I’m in middle/high school, so I’m used to heavy backpacks ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back