Outcast PeighDay Outcast 8s Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeighDay

I came...I saw...I broke it
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Outcast 6s
  3. Outcast 8s
  4. Talion EXB
Took advantage of the amazing deal KingCobra had going on with the Outcast 8s and wanted to share my current build.

- Electronics

TP Motor 5670 1010kv
HobbyWing Max5
HobbyStar HS-6912HV
Spektrum DX3 - thanks @Moirae
Spektrum SR6100AT

-Other parts

RCP Hobbywing Max 5 Mount Plate
RCP HobbyWing Max5 Power switch mount
PerfectPass QS8 Plugs
RCP 56mm Dual Fan Motor Mount
(2) 40mm fans
30T Saga pinion - on order
Arrma 8s Stone Guards

1677173393492.png
1677172841895.png
1677173995632.png

Got the electronics installed last night.

1677173066671.png

Only ran into a couple of issues during the installation.

The servo saver screw was to long to go into the HobbyStar servo. Had to trim off about 4-5mm with my dremel. After that it fit perfect.

1677173143458.png
1677173161865.png

During installation and QC checks found a stripped thread going into rear diff holding the skid plate one. I cut some plastic tie straps to make new thread for the hole. Should hold up just fine.

Also found that the battery strap had a hole drilled through it when they put in the center tower brace. The brace wasn't fully secure to the chassis and the strap was stuck underneath it.

Sent e-mail to Horizon about the stripped thread. Will see what they say.

1677173690633.png
1677173818643.png

Currently have it setup on to run 25/39 gearing just because that's the only pinion I have available at the moment. Have a 30t on order. Once that arrives I will give it try and see how I like it.

Got some bad weather for the next 5 days but hopefully will get a chance to go out and test it.

Thanks to all who provided great knowledge on how to do this. I would be lost without everyone here!.

Last edited:
Took advantage of the amazing deal KingCobra had going on with the Outcast 8s and wanted to share my current build.

- Electronics

TP Motor 5670 1010kv
HobbyWing Max5
HobbyStar HS-6912HV
Spektrum SR6100AT

-Other parts

PerfectPass QS8 Plugs
(2) 40mm fans
Arrma 8s Stone Guards

View attachment 280485View attachment 280481View attachment 280488

View attachment 280482

The servo saver screw was to long to go into the HobbyStar servo. Had to trim off about 4-5mm with my dremel. After that it fit perfect.

View attachment 280483 View attachment 280484

During installation and QC checks found a stripped thread going into rear diff holding the skid plate one. I cut some plastic tie straps to make new thread for the hole. Should hold up just fine.

Also found that the battery strap had a hole drilled through it when they put in the center tower brace. The brace wasn't fully secure to the chassis and the strap was stuck underneath it.

View attachment 280486View attachment 280487

Currently have it setup on to run 25/39 gearing just because that's the only pinion I have available at the moment. Have a 30t on order. Once that arrives I will give it try and see how I like it.

Got some bad weather for the next 5 days but hopefully will get a chance to go out and test it.

Thanks to all who provided great knowledge on how to do this. I would be lost without everyone here!.
Looks great man!!! That's gonna be a blast!!

- Electronics

TP Motor 5670 1010kv
HobbyWing Max5
HobbyStar HS-6912HV
Spektrum SR6100AT

-Other parts

PerfectPass QS8 Plugs
(2) 40mm fans
Arrma 8s Stone Guards

View attachment 280482

Looking good! Had that happen to me as well and found the stock screws really are too short for the amount of stress those bulkheads take. Whether it was the factory or the type of plastic it seemed like an obvious design flaw...

I was able to get a screw that was 3-4mm longer. Probably want to measure to be sure.

Plus side, the 8S bulkheads are cheap on JennysRC.

Sub'd

That's just going to be a Brutal Hulkin' of a Stunt Truck!
Angry Loki GIF

I'm already imagining you scaring the poor unsuspecting folks -joggers, pet walkers, moms with baby strollers etc- at the park.
Just by rolling that thing across their path..

As soon as they get a glimpse of it...
Avoid Change Direction GIF by 303Products

Small update to the build

• Replaced 25t pinion with 30t
  • Added Stone Guards
1677566056704.png

• Added the motor fan mount and (2) 40mm fans (still need to work on cable management) Also added some @RedondoBeachRC motor mount screws for some extra strength and bling

1677565006629.png

• Silicone earplugs in center diff (after my 1st run noticed the front tires balooning quite a bit)
  • The Spektrum SR6100AT RX THR port decided to stop sending a signal to the ESC (Horizon is sending out replacement) Caused me to pull my hair out for a couple of hours.
  • Switched to Radiolink RC6GS v3 (done with Spektrum electronics) Not sure where to put the second antenna so I duct taped it to the inside fender. Ordered some more antenna tubes for a more permanent solution.
1677565388891.png
1677564980872.png

I was also having some weird issues with steering where the Outcast would turn right further then turning left. Checked all the pillow palls (nothing biding) and tied rods and everything checked out fine. In the instructions for building the servo saver it says to center it as close as you can but to have it slightly to right (see diagram below from instructions). What I did was center best I could but have it slightly to the left. I then adjusted the servo arm to where it was centered with the wheels. Seems to have solved my issue.

1677565862812.png
1677565964361.png

Was raining all day so was only able to test it when it when I caught a break in the clouds. Has a lot of pep even for being on very wet asphalt. Can't wait to test it out in better conditions.

Last edited:

- Electronics

TP Motor 5670 1010kv
HobbyWing Max5
HobbyStar HS-6912HV
Spektrum SR6100AT

-Other parts

PerfectPass QS8 Plugs
(2) 40mm fans
Arrma 8s Stone Guards

View attachment 280482

Nice buy .can't wait to see it done and running.we just got dumped 7" of snow here in Rhode island.good luck with your rig😁👍

Was able to go out quickly today and test the build on some grass. Temps were pretty good for 30/39 gear. Outside temperature was around 48 today. At the end of the run motor temps were around 130-134.

I did switch up the tires to the DuraTrax Lockup X as they don't balloon and give me better traction then the 8s backflips.

My Socokin 6500mAh batteries definitely are taking a beating from the TP motor. Had about 10-15 min of run time before they died at 3.5v and temps got up to about 134.

1678007197176.png

Getting some new battery trays from @dure16 so I can use my Azure 8000mAh batteries and really be able to test this motor out.

Unbeknownst to me my wife took a couple of videos of me while at the park. Thought I would share a quick snippet.

Might change up the gearing come summer time but for now I think 30/39 is pretty nice given the current temps. Might also pull the center diff again to make sure I packed enough silicone in there to help stop with the front tire ballooning.

Was able to go out quickly today and test the build on some grass. Temps were pretty good for 30/39 gear. Outside temperature was around 48 today. At the end of the run motor temps were around 130-134.

I did switch up the tires to the DuraTrax Lockup X as they don't balloon and give me better traction then the 8s backflips.

My Socokin 6500mAh batteries definitely are taking a beating from the TP motor. Had about 10-15 min of run time before they died at 3.5v and temps got up to about 134.

View attachment 283154

Getting some new battery trays from @dure16 so I can use my Azure 8000mAh batteries and really be able to test this motor out.

Unbeknownst to me my wife took a couple of videos of me while at the park. Thought I would share a quick snippet.

Might change up the gearing come summer time but for now I think 30/39 is pretty nice given the current temps. Might also pull the center diff again to make sure I packed enough silicone in there to help stop with the front tire ballooning.
Omg it took a tumble!! it must be broke now since it's an arrma 8s rig :ROFLMAO:

Looks like you're really enjoying it and everything is going well. :cool:(y)

Took the Outcast out today with the new battery tray mounts to feel the difference between the batteries. Definitely happy I can use my larger batteries now. The Azure batteries have much more punch and gives the Outcast a little extra juice 💪 ‼️ ....

1678254753886.png

...maybe a little bit to much juice as I noticed on my DuraTrax Lockup X has decided to rip / tear . Not sure if I just want to replace with another set or go with another tire.

1678254896203.png

Also a couple of days ago I was an idiot and left my new RadioLink controller outside for about 30 minutes in a good amount of rain. The screen had a little water stuck under it. I decided to use an old trick I did with cell phones to remove the water. I put a little damprid in the bottom of a sealed container and then place whatever water logged object on top of a paper towel. Seal it up and let it sit for 24 - 48 hours. No more water in the controller.

1678255195844.png

Last edited:
The Outcast got some new shoes after ripping the DuraTrax. Back to the lake to test and they held up really well. Good traction very minimal balooning. Was pretty wet and sandy (granite pebbles) and the tires held up great. Temps got to around 135-140 on the motor.

Definitely had to do some cleaning after that run. Maybe some mudguards for the rear. Only thing I don't like about the MX43 is that I have to use the included socket wrench to put on and take off the wheel nuts. My standard 24mm socket to thick and comes in contact with the screws, other then that I really like them thus far.
1678603316593.png
1678603369341.png

1678603441191.png
1678603743410.png

I deal with the screw problem too and it sucks. Some people try to cut them off. They're fake and do nothing which makes it all the worse lol.

Small updates on the Outcast.

3D printed bumper spring

1681537111166.png

Added a Surpass Hobby heatsink and fan setup from radiocontrolpower . Used 200F rated zip ties.

1681537053323.png

While I had the motor pulled I changed back to the 47t spur. Running 30/47 now.

Checked center diff to see I had packed enough silicone in there. Had a suspicion I did not pack it enough. Definitely did not have enough in there. Repacked it and it should be good now.

1681537434480.png
1681537389616.png

Still getting a bit of play in the center diff and in the spur gear. Ordered some shims to see if I can fix it up. Hopefully get a chance to get out this weekend and test it out.

1681537673086.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back