Pelase your help! Esc / motor combination

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodrigol

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Senton 6s
Hello everi one

I have a question for you. Can a HW max 8 support a 1650 kv motor?

Thanks!!

Yes absolutely! It's a 6s rated esc just because the 1650kv is rated up to 8s doesn't mean it has to be ran on 8s.👍🏼
I must have done something wrong ... I ran with that combination, pinion 18T, and after 5 minutes the esc was smoking ...

Hmm wonder if it was a bad esc as here is the specs for acceptable motors with the max8
Truggy and Monster Truck Motor Limit Brushless Motor Limit with 4S LiPo/12 cells NiMH: KV≤3000 (4274 size motor) Brushless Motor Limit with 6S LiPo/18 cells NiMH:KV≤2400 (4274 size motor) LiPo / NiMH Cells 3-6S LiPo / 9-18S NiMH

Never stated your rig in question.

Hmm wonder if it was a bad esc as here is the specs for acceptable motors with the max8
Truggy and Monster Truck Motor Limit Brushless Motor Limit with 4S LiPo/12 cells NiMH: KV≤3000 (4274 size motor) Brushless Motor Limit with 6S LiPo/18 cells NiMH:KV≤2400 (4274 size motor) LiPo / NiMH Cells 3-6S LiPo / 9-18S NiMH
it is also a possibility!. the time to disaster was extremely short, there were no full throttle races or anything demanding. first use and was faulty. Thanks for the specs! at least now I'm sure the combination was workable

it is also a possibility!. the time to disaster was extremely short, there were no full throttle races or anything demanding. first use and was faulty. Thanks for the specs! at least now I'm sure the combination was workable
Ya that definitely sounds like a bad esc and should not have happened that fast. I'm guessing from your listed rigs it was in your 6s Senton? Which is a lighter rig and would not be too much load as if say it was in a 1/5 scale 25+lb rig then that would make sense. I'd see if it's under warranty still or see if your able to return it to where you purchased it from.

Yes absolutely! It's a 6s rated esc just because the 1650kv is rated up to 8s doesn't mean it has to be ran on 8s.👍🏼
No the Max8 cannot handle the 4985 1650kv motor. Max8 is only rated to 150a continuous the operating current of the 4985 is 160a. Also the 4985 is only rated to 6s not 8s.

For a K6 that combo is often used just fine. You got a bad one that's all.
No the Max8 cannot handle the 4985 1650kv motor. Max8 is only rated to 150a continuous the operating current of the 4985 is 160a. Also the 4985 is only rated to 6s not 8s.
?? This above my pay grade:ROFLMAO:

For a K6 that combo is often used just fine. You got a bad one that's all.

?? This above my pay grade:ROFLMAO:
From the user manuals.
zvdbdjhgjjkgmbvqred.jpg
qawrqeweqred.jpg

Hobbywing also does not recommend running the 4985 with the Max8.
AFSGDFSFFled.jpg

OK well shows how little I know about hobbywing 🤦 just odd my BLX 185 handles similar spec motor in my k6s no problem🤷 funny that 10A would make that big of a difference just doesn't seem right to me but again don't know hobbywing.
Sorry is a k6
I guess I'm wrong so disregard what I said..... also is the 1650kv your talking about the hobbywing even?

Yeah a fatter can 1650 needs more amps. Makes sense.
That ESC had a really quick demise.:unsure: needed 10 more amps? Is it a 4985 1650 we are talking about?
Trying to follow this.

OK well shows how little I know about hobbywing 🤦 just odd my BLX 185 handles similar spec motor in my k6s no problem🤷 funny that 10A would make that big of a difference just doesn't seem right to me but again don't know hobbywing.

I guess I'm wrong so disregard what I said..... also is the 1650kv your talking about the hobbywing even?
I was also assuming he meant the 4985. It could be a different motor. Which motor are you running? The one from Rcjuice?

not had much luck with the max 8 esc over the years. maybe it was because it was in a hpi vorza too much chassis slap smaller buggy tyres who no's

The motor is a rocket superpass 4092, i run it in 6s
The Rocket 4092 is also 160a but only 4200w, maybe it is the wattage that makes the difference. 🤷‍♂️
Idk I see guys run those on the stock BLX esc so not really sure what happened there.

The Rocket 4092 is also 160a but only 4200w, maybe it is the wattage that makes the difference. 🤷‍♂️
Idk I see guys run those on the stock BLX esc so not really sure what happened there.
maybe mine only was faulty ... I still have the blx, I'll try it. I will use a 16 t to beggin.

Thanks!!!

remember guys the constant current may be 150 but the peak is higher. whats the peak rating on both esc's? Also what fans and how many are you running if any. Are there any lights hooked up? They draw amps too but from the bec and if that goes the esc will go with it. A 1650 kv will inherintly draw more amps to turn a bigger gear so it could be drawing more than the esc could handle in peak current for a split second then poof out comes the magic blue smoke.

remember guys the constant current may be 150 but the peak is higher. whats the peak rating on both esc's? Also what fans and how many are you running if any. Are there any lights hooked up? They draw amps too but from the bec and if that goes the esc will go with it. A 1650 kv will inherintly draw more amps to turn a bigger gear so it could be drawing more than the esc could handle in peak current for a split second then poof out comes the magic blue smoke.
A lot of guys on here ran the Hobbystar 4092(same thing as the Surpass) on their BLX185 for a long time without issues. The BLX185 is a lesser esc than the Max8 he probably just had a bad esc. It happens sometimes nothing in manufacturing is 100% perfect.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back