Personal experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, the way I drive em I'd be broke if I had to pay someone every time I needed something fixed 😆💸
+1
But come on now, paying someone to charge your lipos , and clean and detail your rig for your next big bash meet with your wealthy and well off bro's????????:unsure:
But I'm sure these guys aren't even cleaning their own scale cars either...... They are all show. Not real hobbyists at all. These are guys who could never build a Tekno.

+1
But come on now, paying someone to charge your lipos , and clean and detail your rig for your next big bash meet with your wealthy and well off bro's????????:unsure:
But I'm sure these guys aren't even cleaning their own scale cars either...... They are all show. Not real hobbyists at all. These are guys who could never build a Tekno.
I'd love to run into a couple of those guys @ a bashing spot & plop down my mud/grass covered rig just to see the look of disbelief/disdain on their faces!!😁

I'd love to run into a couple of those guys @ a bashing spot & plop down my mud/grass covered rig just to see the look of disbelief/disdain on their faces!!😁
I've run into guys like this over the years. We had nothing in common to speak of regarding RC's. They have no idea of what I am talking RC about. I don't mind teaching anyone. The technical end of RC is so complicated for many. I get it. They aren't hobbyists. Just guys playing with a Big Boy Toy. Different strokes for different folks I guess. There are many out there. :giggle:

I met a winner a few years ago while Speed running the Infr. It was newly released at the time. He wanted one real bad. I told him they are hard to find. He found one in his travels in Fl. Called me all excited. He wanted advice on upgrades. Called me every time his LHS installed something , like a fancy grafixs chassis Protector and was pissed off because the LHS scratched it before he picked it up. Never even ran it. Owns a trucking company. A well heeled guy, also driving a Porsche Cayanne.
I told him to bring it around to show him how to set it up. He even got a GPS meter and all. Showed it to me, so happy. He came around a few times to watch me and my son speed run. Would never bring his stuff out.
Turns out he has like 8 RC's cars from years past. All High end, 1/8 Nitro Serpents, and all. I said bring them out. He said he doesn't want to scratch them up. That they are pristine. Showed me pix of them on his shelf. He never used one of them. Never ran. He thought they were worth so much $$ as an investment. I told him Old RC's are not worth much. Can't get parts etc. Need to enjoy driving them. I discovered he won't even run his Infraction. Because he paid so much $$ at a LHS to install Beacoup Coin on it. Futaba gear and all. It sits on his shelf to this day unsused. He, " IMHO", just likes to show them off. He admitted he never drove any RC before. Wanted me to teach him. I even offered to bring him Some fuel and I would tune and start his Serpent with my Starter box. . I bet the Foam tires were all dry rotted by now. He didn't even own a Starter box. No clue what that was. I told him that his Nitro motors need to be run, might be seized up, and that he probably can't even get parts for many of them now. He was upset about that. Clueless. Never called me again.

Last edited:
I always was interested in the hobby at varying degrees as a young teen. I loved them but I also knew I'd never have one as they were just too expensive. I stopped thinking about them for years and now that I'm older I can finally partake in the hobby that I was forced to sit on the sidelines and watch as a kid.

Now it's been a year of me being in the hobby and I have like 26 rigs and everything has upgraded electronics and I've spent thousands of dollars. Somehow out of those 26 rigs I only regret 2 of them. Cough kraton 4s v2 cough typhon 3s.

Sometimes I definitely struggle though as I have zero patience and that is important to have in the hobby. I tunnel vision and get obsessed very easily over stuff I'm into which is also kind of bad lol. The last year has literally been all rc all the time for me and lot of people said I would be burned out by now but I'm not. I try to rc every day the weather permits even if it's just 1 pack and I wouldn't change any of it.
I feel the same way man. back in the day I think our rent was like the cost of an RC or something lol. Plus in your case you lucky your old lady partakes. That must make it more enjoyable. Since getting into the hobby I have not been getting enough sleep and I have to plan ahead not to work on any of my rigs. As if it was an obsession. Like today we just gonna relax and watch some TV. Then I put a rig in front of the TV while I watch smh. Just this morning I knew I was getting tires for my Kraton from Jenny's and my Big Rock so I pushed it til at the limit of being late to work lol. I kinda wanna burn out a little bro. This is not sustainable lol.

Just force yourself to put it down once in a while. I feel ya. The trick is to put it away "out of site". Trust me it works. Out of site, out of mind.
But tinkering is good therapy for most of us in our daily stressful lives.
Just don't let it run your life.:LOL: RC can be like a drug.....

It's just like the proud owners of the $6000.00 rc plane that someone else was hired to build and someone else fly's but it's his pride and joy. :banghead: I don't get it sometimes.
I have a cheap rtf carbon cub at $369. I guarantee you I'm having as much fun as them and besides, I bought it and I'm the only one who's going to crash it! :LOL:

Last edited:
It's just like the proud owners of the $6000.00 rc plane that someone else was hired to build and someone else fly's but it's his pride and joy. :banghead: I don't get it sometimes.
Yeah I noticed that with Air Rc's also.:unsure:
One guy with the fat wallet, pays others to "do it all"? :ROFLMAO:
Where is the enjoyment with that anyway? I wouldn't mind being the Pilot myself.:giggle: If I crash it. No biggy.

I met a winner a few years ago while Speed running the Infr. It was newly released at the time. He wanted one real bad. I told him they are hard to find. He found one in his travels in Fl. Called me all excited. He wanted advice on upgrades. Called me every time his LHS installed something , like a fancy grafixs chassis Protector and was pissed off because the LHS scratched it before he picked it up. Never even ran it. Owns a trucking company. A well heeled guy, also driving a Porsche Cayanne.
I told him to bring it around to show him how to set it up. He even got a GPS meter and all. Showed it to me, so happy. He came around a few times to watch me and my son speed run. Would never bring his stuff out.
Turns out he has like 8 RC's cars from years past. All High end, 1/8 Nitro Serpents, and all. I said bring them out. He said he doesn't want to scratch them up. That they are pristine. Showed me pix of them on his shelf. He never used one of them. Never ran. He thought they were worth so much $$ as an investment. I told him Old RC's are not worth much. Can't get parts etc. Need to enjoy driving them. I discovered he won't even run his Infraction. Because he paid so much $$ at a LHS to install Beacoup Coin on it. Futaba gear and all. It sits on his shelf to this day unsused. He, " IMHO", just likes to show them off. He admitted he never drove any RC before. Wanted me to teach him. I even offered to bring him Some fuel and I would tune and start his Serpent with my Starter box. . I bet the Foam tires were all dry rotted by now. He didn't even own a Starter box. No clue what that was. I told him that his Nitro motors need to be run, might be seized up, and that he probably can't even get parts for many of them now. He was upset about that. Clueless. Never called me again.
Your killing me!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: .....These people actually exist!!! I had to read that 3 times over to absorb the insanity! You seriously just made my day! Thanks! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

^^^ this guy was wearing me out. Nice guy. We had many things in common, could talk just about anything. Just when it came to RC's.......NG.:rolleyes:
And RC is what made us click initially.:unsure:

If I'm doing the math right, you averaged a new rc every other week for a year...God love ya brother! If your having fun and not hurting anyone or yourself, then why not...Glad your getting a chance to fill that void you had as a kid!
oh man why did you have to do the math!! the wifey and I read this and didn't know whether we should laugh or cry :ROFLMAO:
Why the 4s kraton. To me it seems like a good truck
Honestly, I've had nothing bt problems with that truck. Feels like every time I take it out something bad happens lol. Granted I guess the last time was my fault for running into that curb kind of hard. :ROFLMAO:
don't feel bad. I have been the same way for years. I have 1:1 race cars, and i would still rather spend my time bashing, breaking, buying, fixing, and just generally talking about RC's than anything else. I lost everything in a fire on June 12TH, and im already back up to 14 cars total, although, not all of them are complete yet.
Glad you weren't hurt bro, I have nightmares about lipos burning down the whole apartment. I made sure we got renters insurance at the least. :eek:
Well said. Same boat…7 and counting. 👊🏼
haha you'll be at 13 before you know it!! :cool: (y)
Dude, the way I drive em I'd be broke if I had to pay someone every time I needed something fixed 😆💸
This!! This is also kind of why I jumped right into learning how to solder. I didn't want to be at the whim of the lhs. I was extremely apprehensive about jumping in but so glad I took the time to try.
I feel the same way man. back in the day I think our rent was like the cost of an RC or something lol. Plus in your case you lucky your old lady partakes. That must make it more enjoyable. Since getting into the hobby I have not been getting enough sleep and I have to plan ahead not to work on any of my rigs. As if it was an obsession. Like today we just gonna relax and watch some TV. Then I put a rig in front of the TV while I watch smh. Just this morning I knew I was getting tires for my Kraton from Jenny's and my Big Rock so I pushed it til at the limit of being late to work lol. I kinda wanna burn out a little bro. This is not sustainable lol.
I am lucky man, she never really stops me whenever I want to get something and half the time, she is telling me "It's fine!! as long as you're happy!!" :ROFLMAO: I'll be wrenching, and she'll be sitting next to me at her pc editing our videos.

I think the weather actually helps me not burn out tbh. Like for the last weeks it's been stupid cold outside. low 30's and high 20's. I'm definitely not trying to go out in that cold. Maybe if I could find some gloves that worked well and let me rc at the same time but until then I get my breaks!! I've almost totally stopped gaming though which sucks for the wifey as she used to love watching me play.

You know how they have no nut November? we need no rc December :eek::ROFLMAO:

oh man why did you have to do the math!! the wifey and I read this and didn't know whether we should laugh or cry :ROFLMAO:
Sorry man, but at least now you have a perspective of what you've done this past year. ;) Sounds like Your wife is very supportive as is my girlfriend and that's great! Seriously though, I can't imagine where I would put 26 rc's!! My dining room table has been taken over by just one!😳

^^^ this guy was wearing me out. Nice guy. We had many things in common, could talk just about anything. Just when it came to RC's.......NG.:rolleyes:
And RC is what made us click initially.:unsure:
I'm sure he was a great guy, obviously quite successful with his company business. When I read the part where he was keeping them as an investment, I lost it even more.:ROFLMAO: a 50% return at best would be pushing it. That was a great read...I'm still :ROFLMAO: ....any more stories like that?

Sorry man, but at least now you have a perspective of what you've done this past year. ;) Sounds like Your wife is very supportive as is my girlfriend and that's great! Seriously though, I can't imagine where I would put 26 rc's!! My dining room table has been taken over by just one!😳
Yeah my wife... at the time just dating her, was into my RC's many years back. She wanted one too. So I built her one. And I thought she was a keeper. Many other girls thought RC's were childish.
Now my wife after 28+ years thinks they are a waste of $$. Boy she fooled me. She rather watch TV all day long. Horrible.:rolleyes:

I had a flying buddy who had 12 planes but only flew one. He didn't want to scratch them. I told him if he flew one and something happened I would replace it, he wouldn't budge. In 5 years he only flew the one plane. :rolleyes:

I don't keep things around I don't use. One rc plane and I rc car is all I have and want. Plus I don't have the money to tie up now that I'm retired. To each their own.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back