Personal experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah my wife... at the time just dating her, was into my RC's many years back. She wanted one too. So I built her one. And I thought she was a keeper. Many other girls thought RC's were childish.
Now my wife after 28+ years thinks they are a waste of $$. Boy she fooled me. She rather watch TV all day long. Horrible.:rolleyes:
Kind of like we think shoes, mani/petties and hair appts. are a waste of $. 😆
I have a lot of suff that should go but I'm still having fun with my rc's, All my toys know they are loved and not just "collectibles". :)
That's cool but there not toys...read the manual.lol

After getting into RCs in April of last year I have definitely becomes obsessed. Maybe not as much as some of you with your 26 rigs 😂. Just a little jealous not gonna lie.

+1
But come on now, paying someone to charge your lipos , and clean and detail your rig for your next big bash meet with your wealthy and well off bro's????????:unsure:
But I'm sure these guys aren't even cleaning their own scale cars either...... They are all show. Not real hobbyists at all. These are guys who could never build a Tekno.

This doesn't surprise me to the least bit. I used to build a lot of computers for friends / colleagues etc and most people never wanted to see how or learn how it was done. Most just paid me or asked me to help them build a computer. It's really easy actually way easier then wrenching on RCs IMO.

I can see why the market of pre-built gaming PCs is so high.

Maybe a business opportunity here. Quite a few people on Facebook etc that sell there services for building PCs maybe could do the same with RCs.

oh man why did you have to do the math!! the wifey and I read this and didn't know whether we should laugh or cry :ROFLMAO:

Honestly, I've had nothing bt problems with that truck. Feels like every time I take it out something bad happens lol. Granted I guess the last time was my fault for running into that curb kind of hard. :ROFLMAO:

Glad you weren't hurt bro, I have nightmares about lipos burning down the whole apartment. I made sure we got renters insurance at the least. :eek:

haha you'll be at 13 before you know it!! :cool: (y)

This!! This is also kind of why I jumped right into learning how to solder. I didn't want to be at the whim of the lhs. I was extremely apprehensive about jumping in but so glad I took the time to try.

I am lucky man, she never really stops me whenever I want to get something and half the time, she is telling me "It's fine!! as long as you're happy!!" :ROFLMAO: I'll be wrenching, and she'll be sitting next to me at her pc editing our videos.

I think the weather actually helps me not burn out tbh. Like for the last weeks it's been stupid cold outside. low 30's and high 20's. I'm definitely not trying to go out in that cold. Maybe if I could find some gloves that worked well and let me rc at the same time but until then I get my breaks!! I've almost totally stopped gaming though which sucks for the wifey as she used to love watching me play.

You know how they have no nut November? we need no rc December :eek::ROFLMAO:
Omg I'd wish to find a woman like you have

Perhaps it matters on what rc you start with. Thinking it over and spending 500$+ on an rc car, buying tools, batteries and a good charger would go a long way with the fun factor than starting out with something cheaper, less durable, less fun and more frustrating.

You also can’t teach someone how to be mechanically inclined. It’s like teaching someone to be taller or to be good at sports. You either have it to some degree or you don’t. You can get better but you need it to begin with. Not knocking those that don’t, they generally are better at things that actually make money. Rc cars are not quantum physics but it does help to have some mechanical skills to stay in the game and not get too discouraged when they don’t work any more.

With youtube I feel like anyone could work on these rigs. That's how I learned everything and I definitely didn't think I was mechanically inclined. I remember I freaked out the first time I broke a rig and then I went to arrma site and looked at exploded view to identify broken part. Once I found it I went to YouTube and copied what I saw 🤣. I did know how to build Pcs at the least though.

Perhaps it matters on what rc you start with. Thinking it over and spending 500$+ on an rc car, buying tools, batteries and a good charger would go a long way with the fun factor than starting out with something cheaper, less durable, less fun and more frustrating.

You also can’t teach someone how to be mechanically inclined. It’s like teaching someone to be taller or to be good at sports. You either have it to some degree or you don’t. You can get better but you need it to begin with. Not knocking those that don’t, they generally are better at things that actually make money. Rc cars are not quantum physics but it does help to have some mechanical skills to stay in the game and not get too discouraged when they don’t work any more.
I agree. Wrenching is in your blood or it isn't. Personally I enjoy fixing things in general for 2 fold reasons, the learning factor as well as the saving $. I've saved literally 1000's of $'s in my lifetime repairing my own stuff and even more since u tube entered the scene. Regarding buying cheaper RC'S, when I was in Wal-Mart the other day I just had to stop and look at some HUGE grave digger RC's on an end cap. They were gigantic! I would of loved to open up one of those under my tree Christmas morning as a kid. Its sad most will probable be broke within a week. Having been a store director for Toys r us back in the 80s and 90's I've never really grew up as the song goes..;)
Guys don't read manuals! :p besides, playing with toys is easier to type than operating my rc vehicle. 🤣
Agreed...guys don't read manuals, I just use it to show the women there not toys, sometimes that helps to justify the purchase. 😁

Last edited:
If guys read manuals, there wouldn't be very many posts in the forum! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
True...The manual on my Senton is mainly pictorials anyway. You could be totally illiterate and get by. The manuals always look larger than they are since most are in 28 different languages. 😆

True...The manual on my Senton is mainly pictorials anyway. You could be totally illiterate and get by.

Heck these days so many manuals are in "Engrish" so you need a translator to figure them out anyway.

I don't keep things around I don't use. One rc plane and I rc car is all I have and want. Plus I don't have the money to tie up now that I'm retired. To each their own.
You are a smart man. That's how you do it.
Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.
I'm retired also and I don't play golf, like all my other close friends.
I may drive the Golf cart just to hang out. Spot their balls. I used to play golf with them many years ago. And one friend used to RC also back in the day.
Not for anything, Golf related costs can cost as much as RC if not more.:giggle:

Here we go again! I'm having a PERSONAL EXPERIENCE🤪 in 2 days it will have been 2 weeks since receiving my new senton. I ran it a whooping 45 seconds before blowing up a rear stock tire. Did all the prerun requirements and there she sits with the new proline tires and 15 tooth pinion ready to go but something always comes up to prevent me from running. Charger problems yesterday, rain today with storms or Christmas shopping. I want to see what this thing can do so bad and no, I'm not running it in the rain, I've seen what is does to foams. The only saving grace is that my scorched rc fenders arrive today so I can install but I think its going to be awhile since there across the pond. I know you all been here so show some mercy..😆

Heck these days so many manuals are in "Engrish" so you need a translator to figure them out anyway.
I was in THD getting a solar security light for my backyard. Most if not all of them had instructions in English only. Defiance brand lights. Then I saw a clearance Shelf with some of them. They were all labled in Spanish, instructions, box art writing and all. Not a drop of English anywhere on the Box. Some older models all On clearance sale. I would have bought one , but didn't have the model I wanted. Store must have gotten a batch by accident, destined for somehwere else.:unsure: All brand new unopened boxes. Just all for a Hispanic market. Maybe they were meant for a Mexico THD. I don't need a manual to install simple solar lights.:giggle:

Last edited:
Here we go again! I'm having a PERSONAL EXPERIENCE🤪 in 2 days it will have been 2 weeks since receiving my new senton. I ran it a whooping 45 seconds before blowing up a rear stock tire. Did all the prerun requirements and there she sits with the new proline tires and 15 tooth pinion ready to go but something always comes up to prevent me from running. Charger problems yesterday, rain today with storms or Christmas shopping. I want to see what this thing can do so bad and no, I'm not running it in the rain, I've seen what is does to foams. The only saving grace is that my scorched rc fenders arrive today so I can install but I think its going to be awhile since there across the pond. I know you all been here so show some mercy..😆
Yeah rain and water don't mix with electrics. And Tire foams will get all crapped out. They bunch up, then blow out. And the foams start to rot and stink badly and get all moldy, disintegrate to shreds from rot inside. Tires are costly. Been there.
I only run my Crawlers in the wet stuff , blizzards mud streams etc. But the electrics are all cheap brushed gear. Crawler chassis' don't collect water, by the nature of the frame design. Bashers do.
And I run "Closed cell" foams in my Crawler tires. They don't absorb water like a Sponge at all. Wish Arrma used Close cell foams. They last way longer, but also cost way more. Arrma wont' spend more on something no one can see, like foams in the tires. Some of the PL Track Truggy and Buggy pin tires come with Closed cell foams.

Last edited:
You are a smart man. That's how you do it.
Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.
I'm retired also and I don't play golf, like all my other close friends.
I may drive the Golf cart just to hang out. Spot their balls. I used to play golf with them many years ago. And one friend used to RC also back in the day.
Not for anything, Golf related costs can cost as much as RC if not more.:giggle:
I hear you man. Never got into golf and glad. I live a very simple life and love it. I am still living on my checking account after nearly 9 months. House and car paid for. No bills but taxes, utilities and normal b.s. I drive a 2004 jeep liberty with 218k miles with a primer gray hood.😆 runs like a well oiled machine. Been there did that with way to many car purchases in the past. I claimed bankruptcy many years ago and had a van repossed.Hit rock bottom. Ill spare you the details, we all have our stories. Fast forward 24 years, I learned and I changed. Paid cash for my last 3 houses here in Central Florida. I adapted Dave Ramseys technics before I even heard of him but IT WORKS. This guy has helped soooooo many people change their ways and get out of debt and he came from nothing, self made. Sorry to go on a rant, just feel so blessed. I honestly felt guilty about buying my little $ 300.00 Senton rc, but ya gotta live to....just will never forget the past and go back there. I pay cash for everything now or I don't buy it. Life is good..man if we only knew all that 40 years ago!
Yeah rain and water don't mix with electrics. And Tire foams will get all crapped out. They bunch up, then blow out. And the foams start to rot and stink badly and get all moldy, disintegrate to shreds from rot inside. Tire are costly. Been there.
I only run my Crawlers in the wet stuff , blizzards mud streams etc. But the electrics are all cheap brushed gear. Crawler chassis' don't collect water, by the nature of the frame design. Bashers do.
And I run "Closed cell" foams in my Crawler tires. The don't absorb water like a Sponge at all. Wish Arrma used Close cell foams. They last way longer, but also cost way more. Arrma wont' spend more on something no one can see, like foams in the tires. Some of the PL Track Truggy and Buggy pin tires come with Closed cell foams.
I hear ya on the rotted stinky tire foams. Never owned a crawler but they look like a lot of fun and definitely less carnage. Someday maybe!
I was in THD getting a solar security light for my backyard. Most if not all of them had instructions in English only. Defiance brand lights. Then I saw a clearance Shelf with some of them. They were all labled in Spanish, instructions, box art writing and all. Not a drop of English anywhere on the Box. Some older models all On clearance sale. I would have bought one , but didn't have the model I wanted. Store must have gotten a batch by accident, destined for somehwere else.:unsure: All brand new unopened boxes. Just all for a Hispanic market. Maybe they were meant for a Mexico THD. I don't need a manual to install simple solar lights.:giggle:
That's funny. Now that's where detailed pictorials may have been beneficial!

Last edited:
I tell my wife she reads Swedish, as she is project manager when we are building IKEA furniture.
Ikea drives me crazy building all their stuff, and how Ikea makes you walk around the whole store in circles, like walking a mile or more, by the time you pick up the item and then get to checkout. They make you look at, walk through every single dept, just to get around the store. But they do have some nice stuff.
My wife HATEs that store for some reason. Says its very cheap. But when I bring something home, she says nothing. She won't walk into that store. I was going there since my college days for Dorm furniture.:giggle:
I hear you man. Never got into golf and glad. I live a very simple life and love it. I am still living on my checking account after nearly 9 months. House and car paid for. No bills but taxes, utilities and normal b.s. I drive a 2004 jeep liberty with 218k miles with a primer gray hood.😆 runs like a well oiled machine. Been there did that with way to many car purchases in the past. I claimed bankruptcy many years ago and had a van repossed.Hit rock bottom. Ill spare you the details, we all have our stories. Fast forward 24 years, I learned and I changed. Paid cash for my last 3 houses here in Central Florida. I adapted Dave Ramseys technics before I even heard of him but IT WORKS. This guy has helped soooooo many people change their ways and get out of debt and he came from nothing, self made. Sorry to go on a rant, just feel so blessed. I honestly felt guilty about buying my little $ 300.00 Senton rc, but ya gotta live to....just will never forget the past and go back there. I pay cash for everything now or I don't buy it. Life is good..man if we only knew all that 40 years ago!

I hear ya on the rotted stinky tire foams. Never owned a crawler but they look like a lot of fun and definitely less carnage. Someday maybe!

That's funny. Now that's where detailed pictorials may have been beneficial!
Yeah Im a cash guy myself. Here in NYC, Cash rules. Best deals, if you shop that way. My CC's are minimal. My next house will be cash. And 99% sure it will be in Fl where my Mom and most of my retired friends are. I travel there twice a year. West and east coast each. Delray in the winter ( Mom),
NPR in the early spring. Just that FL RE doubled and trippled recently, for obvious reasons..... Not feeling it. (n)The bubble will burst soon.

Last edited:
Ikea drives me crazy building all their stuff, and how Ikea makes you walk around the whole store in circles, like walking a mile or more, by the time you pick up the item and then get to checkout. They make you look at, walk through every single dept, just to get around the store. But they do have some nice stuff.
My wife HATEs that store for some reason. Says its very cheap. But when I bring something home, she says nothing. She won't walk into that store. I was going there since my college days for Dorm furniture.:giggle:

Yeah Im a cash guy myself. Here in NYC, Cash rules. Best deals, if you shop that way. My CC's are minimal. My next house will be cash. And 99% sure it will be in Fl where my Mom and most of my retired friends are. I travel there twice a year. West and east coast each. Delray in the winter ( Mom),
NPR in the early spring. Just that FL RE doubled and trippled recently, for obvious reasons..... Not feeling it. (n)The bubble will burst soon.
Why do you have to walk through the whole store? Communist owned? :LOL: I'm not to far from one here in Central Florida, might have to stop in one for the experience. Why don't you buy my home..lol. might put her on the market next month. My girl and I want a cabin in western nc. Need top $ for this place though.

Why do you have to walk through thev whole store? Communist owned? :LOL: I'm not to far from one here in Central Florida, might have to stop in one for the exp
Whoops double post. Need to eat.lol

Last edited:
I had a flying buddy who had 12 planes but only flew one. He didn't want to scratch them. I told him if he flew one and something happened I would replace it, he wouldn't budge. In 5 years he only flew the one plane. :rolleyes:
Planes are a little different as they are hard to scratch. You typically end your day with a totally unscathed plane or a box of parts. :ROFLMAO: That is if its not lost in a tree out in the woods. Trust me on this.😆

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back