Personal experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's definitely not for everyone. Imo, there's two common traits one needs to enjoy the RC hobby...1) Patience...things will break, parts will be ordered and waited for and things WILL go wrong, which leads to 2) Some mechanical ability.... or your just plain screwed and at the mercy and expense of someone else's labor. I actually enjoy wrenching more now that I'm retired and have the time to tinker. Many people just don't have the willingness or patience to repair something or try to improve upon it. Upgrading is fun to make your rig the best it can be. The fact that you can break any given part and repair it yourself is somewhat rewarding. I also enjoy working on my 1/1 scale car. Yup, definitely not for everyone.

Last edited:
Nah, we ain't suckers. All I see are guys too dumb to say "no". :ROFLMAO: (I'm including myself in that)

It's definitely not for everyone. Imo, there's two common traits one needs to enjoy the RC hobby...1) Patience...things will break, parts will be ordered and waited for which leads to 2) some mechanical ability.... or your just plain screwed and at the mercy and expense of someone else's labor. I actually enjoy wrenching more now that I'm retired and have the time to tinker. Many people just don't have the willingness to repair something or try to improve upon it. Upgrading is fun to make your rig the best it can be. The fact that you can break any given part and repair it yourself is somewhat rewarding. I also enjoy working on my 1/1 scale car. Yup, definitely not for everyone.
Yea I always see people bringing in there rcs at my local hobby shop to get worked on. Honestly I think the people that can't work on there rc are the kind of people that can't figure out how to pop the hood on there car lmao. They shouldn't even be in the hobby.

I always was interested in the hobby at varying degrees as a young teen. I loved them but I also knew I'd never have one as they were just too expensive. I stopped thinking about them for years and now that I'm older I can finally partake in the hobby that I was forced to sit on the sidelines and watch as a kid.

Now it's been a year of me being in the hobby and I have like 26 rigs and everything has upgraded electronics and I've spent thousands of dollars. Somehow out of those 26 rigs I only regret 2 of them. Cough kraton 4s v2 cough typhon 3s.

Sometimes I definitely struggle though as I have zero patience and that is important to have in the hobby. I tunnel vision and get obsessed very easily over stuff I'm into which is also kind of bad lol. The last year has literally been all rc all the time for me and lot of people said I would be burned out by now but I'm not. I try to rc every day the weather permits even if it's just 1 pack and I wouldn't change any of it.

If I'm doing the math right, you averaged a new rc every other week for a year...God love ya brother! If your having fun and not hurting anyone or yourself, then why not...Glad your getting a chance to fill that void you had as a kid!

I always was interested in the hobby at varying degrees as a young teen. I loved them but I also knew I'd never have one as they were just too expensive. I stopped thinking about them for years and now that I'm older I can finally partake in the hobby that I was forced to sit on the sidelines and watch as a kid.

Now it's been a year of me being in the hobby and I have like 26 rigs and everything has upgraded electronics and I've spent thousands of dollars. Somehow out of those 26 rigs I only regret 2 of them. Cough kraton 4s v2 cough typhon 3s.

Sometimes I definitely struggle though as I have zero patience and that is important to have in the hobby. I tunnel vision and get obsessed very easily over stuff I'm into which is also kind of bad lol. The last year has literally been all rc all the time for me and lot of people said I would be burned out by now but I'm not. I try to rc every day the weather permits even if it's just 1 pack and I wouldn't change any of it.
Why the 4s kraton. To me it seems like a good truck

It seems from my personal experience that every guy I meet say they tried the rc hobby atleast once and they either didn't like it or became a sucker like us.
I think allot of time they try it because it looks like fun until they start breaking stuff and don't want to put the effort, time or money into fixing it. Myself Im spending the winter trying to get organized and learn more about the hobby so next spring it will be even more fun. I also look forward to be more helpful here and am thankful for the guys willing to share their knowledge.

Yea I always see people bringing in there rcs at my local hobby shop to get worked on. Honestly I think the people that can't work on there rc are the kind of people that can't figure out how to pop the hood on there car lmao. They shouldn't even be in the hobby.
Some see the hobby different than you or I. They may enjoy launching it in the air or speed runs across the field but that's it. No interest in any other aspect of the hobby...and I would bet most of those people lack patience and mechanical ability. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but just pointing out something I've come to realize.

I'm a driver not a mechanic, Quit picking on me! :p honestly, I used to hate working on my rigs, mostly because of the lack of time, I either had time to wrench or time to drive, but hard to find time to do both.
Now I don't mind anymore, i still prefer tinkering and customizing more than maintenance. But driving is still number one for me.

don't feel bad. I have been the same way for years. I have 1:1 race cars, and i would still rather spend my time bashing, breaking, buying, fixing, and just generally talking about RC's than anything else. I lost everything in a fire on June 12TH, and im already back up to 14 cars total, although, not all of them are complete yet.

Well said. Same boat…7 and counting. 👊🏼

don't feel bad. I have been the same way for years. I have 1:1 race cars, and i would still rather spend my time bashing, breaking, buying, fixing, and just generally talking about RC's than anything else. I lost everything in a fire on June 12TH, and im already back up to 14 cars total, although, not all of them are complete yet.
Sorry about the fire. Hope no one was hurt. Curious as to whether home insurance covered your stable of rc's?

Last edited:
I was basically hooked the first time something put a radio in my hand, bought my first truck the next day, that was 20 years ago. Don't think I could ever give it up, too addictive.

There is a hobby shop in a well heeled area of Long Island, NY, about an hour away. I used to carpet race my TC there back in early 2000's. Now the track is gone and really no true hobbyists there. I go there for Paint supplies and to browse mostly with my son on the weekends. An expensive Traxxas Only store now. All I see are guys in suits and ties, driving up in their Porsche's, Telsa Plaids, and Range Rovers, and Bentley's, walking in to drop off or pick up their X-Max's and TRX 6x6's. Some getting their Lipo batteries charged and rigs all cleaned up and detailed. Not making this up.
I was shocked. I asked the owner, he said guys want their rigs detailed and batteries charged for their weekend bashing. I listened to one guy try to explain why his rig was driving so bad. Hadn't a clue. His radio setting was changed by mistake , so he said. But it was like his baby. Owner has a price list at the counter for the simplest services, that most seasoned RC hobbyists do for themselves. He makes good money. Like its a Real Auto repair shop.
Can't make this crap up.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
There is a hobby shop in a well heeled area of Long Island, NY, about an hour away. I used to carpet race my TC there back in early 2000's. Now the track is gone and really no true hobbyists there. I go there for Paint supplies and to browse mostly with my son on the weekends. An expensive Traxxas Only store now. All I see are guys in suits and ties, driving up in their Porsche's, Telsa Plaids, and Range Rovers, and Bentley's, walking in to drop off or pick up their X-Max's and TRX 6x6's. Some getting their Lipo batteries charged and rigs all cleaned up and detailed. Not making this up.
I was shocked. I asked the owner, he said guys want their rigs detailed and batteries charged for their weekend bashing. I listened to one guy try to explain why his rig was driving so bad. Hadn't a clue. His radio setting was changed by mistake , so he said. But it was like his baby. Owner has a price list at the counter for the simplest services, that most seasoned RC hobbyists do for themselves. He makes good money. Like its a Real Auto repair shop.
"Do you even wrench bro?" That's just lazy right there! :ROFLMAO: 😂

Now that's funny right there! :ROFLMAO: I need to go back to work as an RC mechanic.lol., but seriously, it just kind of puts a different spin on my point. Someone lacking patience and wrenching skills can compensate with money, however, imo there missing some of the best parts of the hobby. As a retired guy, I don't get out to much so this forum is my social activity. Additionally, its a great place to learn, share, teach and have comradery with other rc enthusiasts. I'm not a social media guy at all with this forum being the only exception. Yup, for me a great place to hang my hat, get off the crazy train called life and decompress. What a great hobby!

Last edited:
Dude, the way I drive em I'd be broke if I had to pay someone every time I needed something fixed 😆💸

But think of all the knitting you could get done in your spare time, you would have a ton of sweaters finished, while you wait for the shop to call and tell you your repairs are done. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back