Kraton Pillow ball blow out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlon

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
so I was out with my uncle inlaw launching my kraton in 100 degree weather and I blew my pillow ball out at least 5 times on all 4 of them. Im guessing this was due to heat? My question is, now that they all popped through, are the retainers stretched out now and will this happen more and more? I'm thinking its time for aluminum knuckles. What do you guys think? And if I get them, should I go for hot racing or jbirc??‍♂️ the hot racing ones are prettier and allow for larger bearings. Im not sure if the jbirc has larger bearings. Im sure the jbirc aluminum is better though?? Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated ? ?

Is it the ball end that’s is piping out or the threaded end? If it’s the ball end, your hubs are likely cracked. If it’s the threaded end, you can add some material in the hole and thread the pivot ball back in. I like to use a piece of zip tie or two to add some filler. You can also put some CA glue in the hole to try and get a better grip too.

Is it the ball end that’s is piping out or the threaded end? If it’s the ball end, your hubs are likely cracked. If it’s the threaded end, you can add some material in the hole and thread the pivot ball back in. I like to use a piece of zip tie or two to add some filler. You can also put some CA glue in the hole to try and get a better grip too.
The knuckles didn't crack, they popped out and I had to unscrew the pivot ball and put them back in through the front. I may try what you suggested. Thanks ??
The knuckles didn't crack, they popped out and I had to unscrew the pivot ball and put them back in through the front. I may try what you suggested. Thanks ??
I just reread your post and get it now. The threaded ends are fine. I think it was just the extreme heat that made them stretch.

Last edited:
Just bought these. Hopefully I won't have to deal with this issue ever again. Any of you guys have any experience with these? I particularly like the fact that they use larger bearings
Screenshot_20200720-023145_Chrome.jpg

On my last bash I popped a couple of pivot balls (first time after 50ish packs!). I saw one of the knuckles had a little crack around one hole, barely noticeable, and I guess that they wear out over time. So got a set of new stock ones from a breaker. It was the roughest jumping I did so far, on an asphalt pump track, it's all curvy so the landings were kinda sideways. Every day you discover another weakness :D

If it continues to happen with the new knuckles I may invest in the HR set.

Just bought these. Hopefully I won't have to deal with this issue ever again. Any of you guys have any experience with these? I particularly like the fact that they use larger bearings View attachment 90383

HR can be a hit or miss with a lot of their stuff but these are probably one of their better offerings. Quality looks to be fairly good.

I've put a set of these HR hubs on the rear of my Typhon 6S but haven't got round to doing the fronts yet to be of any real help on the pillow ball side of things.
They have reduced some of the play in the hub/wheels on the rear which has helped with the tracking though.

I inherited a set of HR hubs on my Typhon 6s and the only downside is that the bearings aren’t the same size as stock. If you buy your bearings in kits, you will need different sized bearings for the hubs. They HR bearings come rubber sealed so they are better than stock, but when replacing them down the road, this info will be handy.

I inherited a set of HR hubs on my Typhon 6s and the only downside is that the bearings aren’t the same size as stock. If you buy your bearings in kits, you will need different sized bearings for the hubs. They HR bearings come rubber sealed so they are better than stock, but when replacing them down the road, this info will be handy.
Yes. And another tip with the HR hubs... take the bearings out when you get them and spray a little WD-40 where they sit. Mine were so stuck in the hubs when the bearings finally went, I tired everything, even soaking them for a week in PB Blaster, eventually had to smash them and cut them out with a dremel.

Yes. And another tip with the HR hubs... take the bearings out when you get them and spray a little WD-40 where they sit. Mine were so stuck in the hubs when the bearings finally went, I tired everything, even soaking them for a week in PB Blaster, eventually had to smash them and cut them out with a dremel.
Wow HR quality is OP

Yeah I had a hard time getting mine out to clean and lube them too. Max effort up to the point I thought I was going to have to cut them out too.

Wow! Ok, ill mzke sure to grease the crap out of them before I put the bearings in. These are the first hr upgrades that'll be in my truck. I've always stayed away from hr but in this case, I don't have much of a choice. I also heard that these knuckles are the best upgrades hr makes so.....??‍♂️

Wow! Ok, ill mzke sure to grease the crap out of them before I put the bearings in. These are the first hr upgrades that'll be in my truck. I've always stayed away from hr but in this case, I don't have much of a choice. I also heard that these knuckles are the best upgrades hr makes so.....??‍♂️
I have front/rear for almost yr no issues great pick up and takes some slop out front and rear

zip tie eh? good idea... i keep having my threads come out. I’ve just used that plummer type tape and some gorilla glue expoxy mix. when this lets up ill try the ziptie method

Oh yea!! These things are beautiful ? I love the carbon fiber wings on them. The pillow ball retainers are soooooo much better then the stock ones. I don't think these will be backing out anytime soon ??
20200725_160448.jpg

So I’ve been running just the pillow ball retainers, on all my 6s rigs for over a year now. They are like $10 a set and I’ve never had a single one pop out randomly. They don’t back out. I didn’t like aluminum hubs. They are harder to swap bearings (aluminum and steel have a reaction after a while especially with water) and the plastic is more forgiving and flexes on hard landings. Just a preference. But the retainers are top notch.

So I’ve been running just the pillow ball retainers, on all my 6s rigs for over a year now. They are like $10 a set and I’ve never had a single one pop out randomly. They don’t back out. I didn’t like aluminum hubs. They are harder to swap bearings (aluminum and steel have a reaction after a while especially with water) and the plastic is more forgiving and flexes on hard landings. Just a preference. But the retainers are top notch.
Which retainers are you using?

I'm with rexdog, which retainers are you using and did they fit the stock hubs without modifications?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back