Kraton pillow balls starting to get annoying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's why I added tightening to the arms lol in the first message I figured that would explain it better I should have said studs

You’re good man seems like you know what’s up and how stuff works and you already had the right answer lol.

I should have read your whole post rather than skimming though it. Kinda get used to the same questions over and over and sometimes I skim through it...

yeah man I think I'm gonna try it on an old set of arms and pillow balls first juat to get an idea of what I'm doing it wont take but a tiny little set screw just gotta get the stud figured out may drill small hole in th or just make flat spot I have a few to work with just gotta keep the threads flawless around hole or near flat spot to keep it from messing up the plastic threads

You could always use a cup point set screw too if you didn’t want to mess with the flat spot. It will dig into the thread and lock it...will kinda booger up the threads but I don’t think it would be a big deal. They also have brass tipped set screws that would keep the threads intact but doesn’t have the same locking characteristics as the cup point.

You’re good man seems like you know what’s up and how stuff works and you already had the right answer lol.

I should have read your whole post rather than skimming though it. Kinda get used to the same questions over and over and sometimes I skim through it...
thanks man but same here iv done it to many times I'm going over every little part just trying to make it better in some way if possible... probably gonna use the same size set screws that came with my voltage stuff they seem small enough if the set screw don't work I'm gonna drill strait threw the dang thing and the arms and pin it in

You could always use a cup point set screw too if you didn’t want to mess with the flat spot. It will dig into the thread and lock it...will kinda booger up the threads but I don’t think it would be a big deal. They also have brass tipped set screws that would keep the threads intact but doesn’t have the same locking characteristics as the cup point.
also thought about drilling through the base of the pillow ball where it makes contact with the arm and thread it... then just make a small hole on the end of the arm and set screw it that way alittle more work but will see what I come up with

after about one pack of running my kraton sometimes less either or while I'm letting it cool down I have to tighten down the pillow balls to the arms it's not hard but it gets old best option to fix this ? anyone got any idea that don't involve thread locker I don't like using it on plastic cause its know to deteriorate plastic..... if you have used it with no issues it may be my last option
After reading this thread, it reminded me that I had a similar issue, but hadn't paid much attention to it. I just finished wrapping the pillow ball studs with some plumber's tape, and they felt pretty snug going in. Hoping to get a good bash in tomorrow, so I'll let you know if they hold up, or need to go next level with your set screw idea.

After reading this thread, it reminded me that I had a similar issue, but hadn't paid much attention to it. I just finished wrapping the pillow ball studs with some plumber's tape, and they felt pretty snug going in. Hoping to get a good bash in tomorrow, so I'll let you know if they hold up, or need to go next level with your set screw idea.
it seems like the best idea so far I feel like using the tape and stuff puts me at more of a risk having the stud blow out lol but that's just my opinion I'm up to try anything to get this to stop happening

it seems like the best idea so far I feel like using the tape and stuff puts me at more of a risk having the stud blow out lol but that's just my opinion I'm up to try anything to get this to stop happening
its actually the only issue I can say I'm having over all with my kraton .... next thing to cover is getting a fan mounted on my motor but I'm not liking anything I'm finding online so idk man looking like a custom build or find a bracket and drill some holes

When using a set screw and you do not want to booger up the threads, find the right size lead shot from a shotgun shell or similar lead ball and drop it in the hole first. This way the lead ball is against the threads and it will not mess up the threads.

When using a set screw and you do not want to booger up the threads, find the right size lead shot from a shotgun shell or similar lead ball and drop it in the hole first. This way the lead ball is against the threads and it will not mess up the threads.
thanks for the tip .... I'll cut open some bird shot i got cases of 12ga shells seems like the best size little ball of lead

How did the plumber's tape work out? My pillow balls keep backing out as well.

after about one pack of running my kraton sometimes less either or while I'm letting it cool down I have to tighten down the pillow balls to the arms it's not hard but it gets old best option to fix this ? anyone got any idea that don't involve thread locker I don't like using it on plastic cause its know to deteriorate plastic..... if you have used it with no issues it may be my last option
I use the HR steering blocks and they work great. On my other vehicles I created a small curve with a grinder into the red tightener and in the curve I placed a o-ring from a automotive o-ring kit. I can do a video on it if it would help, but since doing it they aren’t backing out anymore. Bash on ??

How did the plumber's tape work out? My pillow balls keep backing out as well.
It works well. Remember that the plastic might expand over time and use. It's easy to check them though, so I'm not too concerned in buying the new versions unless something damages the originals.

It works well. Remember that the plastic might expand over time and use. It's easy to check them though, so I'm not too concerned in buying the new versions unless something damages the originals.
Second on the teflon plumbers tape. (y)
One single wrap and good to go. Anytime I have plastic "socket" stretching on the metal screw-in, I use teflon tape at least to buy more time before I need to replace the part. Sometimes it lasts "forever-ish" ...sometimes almost too far gone and then I'll try a second wrap or just cuss and replace it. The key is to not over-tighten but I know I'm preaching to the choir ....and not always the issue.

I use the HR steering blocks and they work great. On my other vehicles I created a small curve with a grinder into the red tightener and in the curve I placed a o-ring from a automotive o-ring kit. I can do a video on it if it would help, but since doing it they aren’t backing out anymore. Bash on ??
I'd like to see how you did this if you feel inclined. :)(y)

Guys, can someone explain to me what the weakness is? I have the V3 Kraton. What am I looking for? Can anyone post some pics and where I should wrap tape and why exactly? What happens?
Thanks all!

Guys, can someone explain to me what the weakness is? I have the V3 Kraton. What am I looking for? Can anyone post some pics and where I should wrap tape and why exactly? What happens?
Thanks all!
It's not a weakness per say, but the pillow balls retainer screws are known to back out pretty easily. The plumbers tape just helps them to hold their position longer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back