Pinion bore size

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyFromCanada

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
I'm looking at brushless setups, and I'm trying to understand whether there are any downsides to having a 5 mm pinion bore, aside from limiting use of pinions with smaller bore size.

The Hobbywing motors in the combo setups for the SCT version of the MAX10 are 5 mm shafts...

Downside to 5mm bore -

Fewer pinion choices for 48p. But there are some good ones, like from Robinson Racing, available at Amain, so that is not a huge obstacle. Also, if you need to go small, you won't be able to get as small as 1/8" bore pinions. In 5mm bore, the smallest you can go (in 48p) looks like 17t, but for 1/8" you can get down to 12 or so.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/robins...on-gear-5mm-bore-17t-rrp2017/p454470?v=218930

Also, if you need to go small, you won't be able to get as small as 1/8" bore pinions. In 5mm bore, the smallest you can go (in 48p) looks like 17t, but for 1/8" you can get down to 12 or so.

That did come to mind...so on the 5 mm bore the lower kV rated motor would provide a bit more flexibility. I can get Robinson racing pinions from my lhs, so that's good then.

So I'm still struggling to find hardware in Canada for a brushless setup, preferably Castle Creations...if I run a 5mm pinion, what pinion plus spur gear might give the closes to stock performance? This would be for a 3800kV setup on 2S. Anyone done something similar?

Not sure if RC Juice ships to Canada but they have some really good and inexpensive brushless motors. I would get this combo in the 3400kv version for a ARRMA Mega 4x4 - https://www.rcjuice.com/motor-esc/m...hless-4-pole-motor-includes-program-card.html

I know Castle products are popular and they do make good products but find especially the motors to be really heavy compared to other brushless motors.

Best regards,
Brian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back