Kraton Pinion change on kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It didn't take that long I did it in two stages applied heat for about 20secends to the front off the pinion , then I slid it about half way off before reapplying the heat this time over the hole where the grub goes for about another 20 secs then it just popped off . The temperature is not that much off a issue for me here in Manchester UK more wet than warm .
Cool, good to know. I'll try the lighter next time. PS life long soccer player, love English Premier League!!! That's my kind of playing, not many whining pansy's over there, just great fast paced futbol! Met George Best when I was a kid when he played for San Jose Earthquakes, former ManU legend, him and Pele were my idols! Yes he was drinking a beer in the stands, nursing an injury.

Last edited:
It didn't take that long I did it in two stages applied heat for about 20secends to the front off the pinion , then I slid it about half way off before reapplying the heat this time over the hole where the grub goes for about another 20 secs then it just popped off . The temperature is not that much off a issue for me here in Manchester UK more wet than warm .

Haha I'm from Warrington - don't find too many northern UK Arrma people on this forum!

Cool, good to know. I'll try the lighter next time. PS life long soccer player, love English Premier League!!! That's my kind of playing, not many whining pansy's over there, just great fast paced futbol!
Haha good to know pal can't live without the football (soccer)

Haha good to know pal can't live without the football (soccer)
Haha no you definitely don't pal but a proper helpful forum.

Haha I'm from Warrington - don't find too many northern UK Arrma people on this forum!
Haha you definitely don't pal but a great forum for help.

Thanks to the hairdryer it came off no problem.

DSC_0093.JPG

Just stripped my stock pinion gear running 6s lipos i was getting wheelies and all. quick question tho i always thought the pinion and the spur were kinda loose could that have been why it stripped. it seemed to strip while braking to. does anyone have any tips on a better or solid mesh. i have to put the 14t in now and this thread was good info. i think i will use on of those lighters you use to start a barbeque if i run into any red loctite problems.
can i get blue loc from home depot?

Lucky me , it took me about 15 minutes after i took the grub out and seen the blue i used needle nose wrapped in a dish towel and in the end i put the needle nose in the hole and tapped it out with a hammer of course i nicked the motor mount being happy about the blue my techniques got sloppy lol good luck.

Attachments

• 20170208_203642.jpg
    20170208_203642.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20170208_205436-1-1.jpg
    20170208_205436-1-1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
I had good success using a micro butane torch, about the same size as cigarette lighter but a whole lot hotter, the flame is small so can be easily focused on one area, only takes a number of seconds to deal with the red loctite.

I have used a hair dryer on all the tough screws and pinions, and they have easily come off after a minute of heat.

I have used a hair dryer on all the tough screws and pinions, and they have easily come off after a minute of heat.
Ive only seen blue loctite on my kraton and never had to use any heat or anything....guess im lucky? Or a secret hulk loool ;)

Ive only seen blue loctite on my kraton and never had to use any heat or anything....guess im lucky? Or a secret hulk loool ;)
You indeed are lucky. Between my Outcast and Kraton, I had a nice mini pile of red clumps from the pinions and motor shafts alone. What a PITA!!! Glad it's behind me, and then of coarse was getting the Outcast wheels off the first time.....Lol, such fond memories of yelling F...!!!! In the garage.

Nero new in Dec, Outcast new in Jan. Maybe newer ones aren't as difficult. The loc tite on the Outcast pinion was white and not much. Wheels also came off easily.

Nero new in Dec, Outcast new in Jan. Maybe newer ones aren't as difficult. The loc tite on the Outcast pinion was white and not much. Wheels also came off easily.
That's good to hear. I spent a chunk of my lunch break at work emailing the company about the issue a while back. The reply was actually sympathetic and understanding and long enough to believe that some change in action may actually be taken. Hopefully someone with clout reached out to assembly team/production guys. I firmly believe as Arrma demands increased, pressures to increase output equated to just glob it on and torque it, get it shipped mentality.

That's good to hear. I spent a chunk of my lunch break at work emailing the company about the issue a while back. The reply was actually sympathetic and understanding and long enough to believe that some change in action may actually be taken. Hopefully someone with clout reached out to assembly team/production guys. I firmly believe as Arrma demands increased, pressures to increase output equated to just glob it on and torque it, get it shipped mentality.

actually i just had a duel with some super loctite (typical i had to eat my words one day after bragging how easy it was kek), bought and was gonna install cvd in the rear but could not for my life get the grubscrew out on one side....tried hairdryer, soldering iron....ended up putting the oven on 100c and keeping it there for a few mins...it worked but i had to use very very much force all the way out...nasty stuff :)

only put the wheelhub in the oven ofc..not the whole car ;)

actually i just had a duel with some super loctite (typical i had to eat my words one day after bragging how easy it was kek), bought and was gonna install cvd in the rear but could not for my life get the grubscrew out on one side....tried hairdryer, soldering iron....ended up putting the oven on 100c and keeping it there for a few mins...it worked but i had to use very very much force all the way out...nasty stuff :)

only put the wheelhub in the oven ofc..not the whole car ;)
Had that same problem a few days ago just trying to clean my axels and bearings. So much fun.....Lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back